Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Andrew "Pugwash" Birch.

From a Hornets Tweet.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Sad news of the passing of "Puggie", he was Hornets to the core. RIP mate.

Does anyone know when the funeral is?

Edited by The Baron Mk11, 21 August 2014 - 01:46 PM.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#2 hitman hornet

hitman hornet
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

Very sad news Indeed'
R.I.P Captain
You sure was 1 on your own.

I'm sure funeral details will be on here in due course Baron.
100% league 0% union

#3 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Really sorry to hear this. Not only a Hornets supporter through and through but a true Rugby League fan. My condolences to his family.  R.I,P Andy.

#4 excolt

excolt
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

So sorry to hear of Andy Birch"s passing.He was Hornets through and through also a ARLFC referee.I am glad he got to see Hornets lift a trophy and represent the club as the nuber one fan.My condolences to his family and his brother Stephen.

#5 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

They don't make them like Puggy any more, Hornets and Rugby League through to his core. The club has lost it's No 1 fan. I'm just glad he was at Leigh at the end of last season to see us pick up that trophy. RIP matey.

#6 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

RIP Puggy
Hornets to the very core, at least he will take the memories of last years GF win with him.
At true Hornets hero

#7 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Really very sorry to hear about Andy, Wondered why he hadn't posted on here for a while.
Hornets cannot afford to lose supporters such as Andy.
RIP ANDY
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#8 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

A true Hornets legend. We needed a thousand more like him. RIP Andy.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#9 spanish hornet

spanish hornet
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Sad day for his family. Sad day for Hornets. No1 club man and RLF fan.

How's about clubman of the year presented with the Pugwash trophy?

#10 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

It's a sad day. I spoke to Andy's son earlier - he did say that his dad's instructions were that everyone coming to celebrate his life should wear their Hornets - or their club's - shirt. I'm away with work at the moment, but we're speaking again on Saturday - so will share any details as soon as I have them.

All I can say is that Andy had Hornets in his heart and his soul. He lived a Hornets life - through the ups and the down - with great pride, loyalty and humour. A sad day.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#11 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Very sad news best wishes to his family at this sad time. Rest in peace from an Oldham fan.

#12 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Top bloke, Hornets and RL through and through.

RIP Andy.

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#13 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

I am his brother, Stephen. I have just returned home to Canada today from two other family funerals and had a message waiting for me. As you can imagine I am total distraught. I was with him on Saturday and he seemed fine.

We shared many wonderful times at rugby games and many arguments about the game and Hornets but never let those arguments affect our love for each other. It was not as easy for him getting to games following his disabilities. There are some, possibly many, on this site who helped him get to his beloved Hornets.

I remember with great fondness driving him down to Cardiff for the Hull v Leeds final his only trip to new Wembley for Warrington v Leeds. I helped him get round to the ground in his new motorised wheelchair (his 'electric chair') earlier this summer to see that great win over Fev.

His first Hornets game was a school trip to the 1965 Lancs cup final (Graham Starkey taught both of us). He caught the bug.Our dad then took us on our first Wembley trip in 67 for Barrow v Featherstone on Ellen Smiths.

It has been a difficult few years with first our mother passing away and then his wife Barbara. I hope to see as many of you as possible at his funeral.

gob bless you all

#14 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Wow,what a great post Stephen,I`m sure I never met Andrew,but I also got hooked on Hornets and the game of rugby league at that 1965 Lancashire Cup Final at St.Helens with my good mate,Philip Halstead. I didn`t agree with everything Andrew posted on here,and he certainly put me in my place a few times,but his love for Hornets could never be questioned and it`s a sad day for the club to be losing such a true supporter. I hope Hornets office closes down during the time of Andrew`s funeral ensuring they,the board,and as many players as possible,have the chance to be there for his final game. RIP.

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Very sad news indeed.   I never met Andy but a couple of years ago he sent me a message asking if I would write a short piece for the programme when Hornets played Town.   I sent my piece and we exchanged many more messages that season until we lost touch.   My condolences to his family and friends, he was as many have already said Hornets through and through.   RIP Andy

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#16 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Trying to reach as many of you as possible and this is possibly the most efficient means.  Please feel free to pass on to others.

Given the circumstances there has to be a post mortem which will not happen, given the holiday weekend, until next week.  This means funeral unlikely to happen before September.

His sons and I are positive he mentioned to us he had pre paid for his funeral.  Alas his sons have been unable to find the paperwork and the various funeral homes they have contacted have not admitted to having taken his money!  If he mentioned to any of you who he had made this arrangement with please would you let me or his son, stephen, know.  I can be reached at birch@mcmaster.ca and his son has a mobile 07931169551.

One final request, if Jim Stringer reads this please could you contact me.  I have tried to contact you but the e mail address I have for you is very old and not in use.

I am enjoying reading your posts - they are bringing me and my family much comfort. 

#17 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

RIP andy very sad news thoughts with family and friends at this difficult time, deepest condolances From us Yeds

#18 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Trying to reach as many of you as possible and this is possibly the most efficient means.  Please feel free to pass on to others.

Given the circumstances there has to be a post mortem which will not happen, given the holiday weekend, until next week.  This means funeral unlikely to happen before September.

His sons and I are positive he mentioned to us he had pre paid for his funeral.  Alas his sons have been unable to find the paperwork and the various funeral homes they have contacted have not admitted to having taken his money!  If he mentioned to any of you who he had made this arrangement with please would you let me or his son, stephen, know.  I can be reached at birch@mcmaster.ca and his son has a mobile 07931169551.[/size]

One final request, if Jim Stringer reads this please could you contact me.  I have tried to contact you but the e mail address I have for you is very old and not in use.[/size]

I am enjoying reading your posts - they are bringing me and my family much comfort. [/size]

Stephen, you have mail.
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#19 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Many thanks AD, I did follow up but they had no record.

#20 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

So sorry to hear the passing of Andrew.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few seasons ago at Spotland and we had a great chat. I kept in touch with him through Facebook, and was saddened to hear him suffering with his illness,

My deepest condolences and sympathy to his Family, Rochdale Hornets and its supporters.

Not only a loss to Hornets, but Rugby League.

Rest in peace in Andrew, I hope wherever you are, you're in a better place. Goodnight and god bless

Best Regards

Brian.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users