TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Andrew "Pugwash" Birch.

From a Hornets Tweet.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Gary from Accrington

Gary from Accrington
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

I heard the sad news from a former colleague of mine and Andy's last night. We spent an eventful few years working together at Lintfield in the REGC on Dane Street, some of the best years of my working life and Andy was a great contributor to that. His love for Hornets was expressed daily and he would often describe how Barbara's winnings would be spent on building a great team should the lucky numbers ever come up. He even got me, an ardent fanatic of the round ball game, to watch his beloved Hornets on the odd occasion, something I have often said I would repeat but never seem to find the time. I will have to address this fact if only in tribute to Andy. We kept in touch for a while after we left Lintfield but due to email address changes etc we finally lost touch. I was saddened also by the news both Barbara and his mum died in recent years this must have been hard on Andy and his sons. He was a man with a great sense of humour and strong principles and was never afraid to speak his mind. This made him great fun fun to know and he never let life's knock backs keep him down. He had tremendous spirit and would always be planning his next big adventure, be it holidays with massive maps of Europe being produce at dinner time, photography trips to balloon fiestas or visits to away games at Workington with a stop off in the Lakes all where planned in detail like a major military operation. The world is a little less colourful today and my condolences go out to his brother Steven and to Martin and Steven his sons. If details of the funeral can be posted when they are known I would very much like to attend. This is very sad news, RIP Andy gone but never forgotten.

#22 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I was very shocked to hear of Andy's passing as I was with him on Sunday, and due to visit him yesterday.

Despite all the heartache and struggles he has faced over the last few years he was always upbeat and ready to support his beloved Hornets when at all possible.
A true gentleman who will be sadly missed by many.

Condolences to his sons Steven & Martin and his brother Stephen and his family in Canada.

RIP

Peter Walker & family.

#23 Rochdale Roughyed

Rochdale Roughyed
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

Gutted at the news. Top bloke, true gent. Respect from afar.

#24 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

It is very sad news. Puggy was a heart on the sleeve supporter, his passion got the better of him at times but my word he loved Hornets with a vengeance and would give anything for the cause.

I hope something can be done within the stadium to remember him.

#25 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Andy's funeral will be at 1.00pm on Friday 5 September at Rochdale crematoruim.

It would be wonderful to see as many of you there as possible and please don't be shy at coming and saying hi to me and/or his sons.

There will be a get together after the funeral but details will be announced later.

Thank you all for your kind messages and memories. Please pass this information on to anyone you think might be interested.

I was sent the piece in the Rochdale Observer - which was nice except for the medical details being all wrong!  He did not lose his first leg in a motorcycle accident nor was he diabetic.  "Lazy reporting" I hear Andy saying  - and he wouldn't have expected anything else from them!

#26 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

It would be wonderful to see as many of you there as possible and please don't be shy at coming and saying hi to me and/or his sons.

Hi Stephen, Have sent you an email.

Jim

Edited by Hornetto, 29 August 2014 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#27 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

There will be a get together after the funeral but details will be announced later.

Thank you all for your kind messages and memories. Please pass this information on to anyone you think might be interested.

Can now confirm that the get together after the funeral will take place in the main bar back Spotland. Please do come along and raise a glass to see our fellow-Hornet off in style. All I can do is reiterate Stephen's words, please do let as many Hornets friends and fans as possible know.

Thanks.

Edited by Hornetto, 01 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#28 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:53 PM

Sincere condolences from all at Swinton RLFC.

#29 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Unable to attend on Friday as I am at Christie's at 2pm. I will be thinking of Andy though. He is the type of clubman that you just do not replace.
RIP Andy it was an honour to have known you.
Doug

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#30 OldhamGal

OldhamGal
  • Coach
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Only just seen this sad news :(

Rip x
Ain't it funny how you think you're gonna be OK
Till you remember things are never gonna be the same again?
Ain't it crazy how you think you've got your whole life planned
Just to find that it was never ever in your hands?

My Facebook :)

#31 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

Condolenses from all at Hunslet r.i.p.

Posted Image

#32 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone associated with Rochdale Hornets for their wonderful support at the funeral and over the weekend.

Andy would have been very proud and honoured at the way he was 'seen off'.

Also many thanks to those fans of other teams who have passed on their condolences and best wishes.

Stephen Birch (Andy's brother)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users