Fundamentalist media takeover

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

Whilst zapping between France 24, Al Jazeera etc I came across these satellite channels using TV to peddle their brand of bizarre fundamentalist religion. 

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

You see loads of banners round Bradford advertising such channels.

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Whilst zapping between France 24, Al Jazeera etc I came across these satellite channels using TV to peddle their brand of bizarre fundamentalist religion. 

Yes, be very afraid...

Although, when they were young, I used to punish the kids with these channels if they were behaving badly. 10 seconds of these fundie nutcases would bring them to heel.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Some come direct from the USA. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#5 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Yes, be very afraid...

Although, when they were young, I used to punish the kids with these channels if they were behaving badly. 10 seconds of these fundie nutcases would bring them to heel.

I remember my stepdad insisting I could watch whatever I want so I put one if the evangelical Christian channels on and him getting really annoyed after 10 minutes but pretending I really wanted to watch it.

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

And you were watching Al Jezeera?  You do know of that channel's roots don't you?

Some of those channels are a bit whacky but they're generally harmless.  American Christians are very expansive, just as Americans are generally, when compared with the bottled up, stiff upper lip types in Britain.  If you've experienced American Christianity first hand, as I have, you will also know that they can be among the kindest, most genuine people on earth, so before mocking them just consider that you may be speaking from ignorance.

#7 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

And you were watching Al Jezeera?  You do know of that channel's roots don't you?

Some of those channels are a bit whacky but they're generally harmless.  American Christians are very expansive, just as Americans are generally, when compared with the bottled up, stiff upper lip types in Britain.  If you've experienced American Christianity first hand, as I have, you will also know that they can be among the kindest, most genuine people on earth, so before mocking them just consider that you may be speaking from ignorance.

Some are a bit wacky, most are harmless....

But some aren't, from promoting hatred to teaching creationism.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Speaking from ignorance - no

- my sister is an ordained minister

- ten years plus, working for two US corporations, still working with people from the US, plus a number of visits there)

- a former colleague and close friend now in a monastery near Seattle

- It's true that Americans can be amongst  the kindest, most genuine people on earth,  but that is nothing to do with Christianity.

Al Jazeera  

- yes, of course

- also watch France24, RT and the BBC etc and we all know about their agendas

Whacky  

- yes

Mocking them

- no, as they are self-mocking

Harmless

- no

Beaming this nonsense into our homes, even if you come across it accidentally, is still offensive to rational people. There should at least be an advisory notice on the screen.

These channels are   even more evidence that the West's response to the Islamic onslaught is more of the same , not less.   Christianity is not the answer, it is not the opposite of  Islam.

They are both wrong.

Edited by JohnM, 24 August 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#9 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Is there a Pastafarian channel?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Is there a Pastafarian channel?

If not, there should be.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#11 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

You will be pleased to know channel 596 is broken.

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,745 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

American evangelical christianity has huge wealth and power and is very influential politically with its ultra right wing views. Even Obama is a professed Christian, and there has never been a US president who wasn't overtly Christian and there has never been one of another faith. If people find something ridiculous such as believing in fairy stories, hypocrisy-remember Jimmy Swaggart(and many more)? Then they have the right to ridicule it. Religion, whatever the religion is a legitimate target. Religion whatever the religion is ask to be feared because of the power and influence it wields outside of democracy.  Oh and doesn't god hate fags?

edit: Those 'kind and genuine people' would deny the right of a woman to choose, amongst other despicable things.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

You will be pleased to know channel 596 is broken.

Why doesn't God fix it?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,745 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Why doesn't God fix it?

hes had to send off for a part

Keeping it local

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Why does being anti abortion make you despicable? I am quite strongly anti abortion but its nothing to do with religion.

#16 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Why doesn't God fix it?

God could if somebody would answer a phone or email. :D

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,745 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Why does being anti abortion make you despicable? I am quite strongly anti abortion but its nothing to do with religion.

it isn't.

Nobody is 'pro abortion'. terminating a pregnancy must be a desperately sad experience.

What is despicable is to deny the right of a woman to choose.

edit: would you have denied this woman a termination?

http://www.theguardi...bortion-refusal

what about rape victims?

the termination of a pregnancy is something that should never be taken lightly, and the law should be clear, but to deny a woman the right to decide to me is despicable. To you it isn't. That's fine.

Evangelical christian groups of which the ones on John M's list seem to be the only members have a lll sorts of ideas

they're big on homophobia for instance.

But the main thing is their enormous political lobbying power and wealth.

and yes the same goes for other religions as well, it's just that these ridiculous…IMHO, tv channels are the ones that John has come across.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 August 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Keeping it local

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,575 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I didn't say I am opposed to abortion under any circumstances, so there will be cases where it is an option. Its just way too casual now and not like they claimed at the time of legalisation.

And why does the matter hinge on whether a woman feels a certain way? Can all our decisions be justified as long as its 'our body' that decides?

And whilst for most, abortion is a traumatic issue, the number of multiple abortions suggest its not quite as you say.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,745 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

I didn't say I am opposed to abortion under any circumstances, so there will be cases where it is an option. Its just way too casual now and not like they claimed at the time of legalisation.

And why does the matter hinge on whether a woman feels a certain way? Can all our decisions be justified as long as its 'our body' that decides?

And whilst for most, abortion is a traumatic issue, the number of multiple abortions suggest its not quite as you say.

you said you were "quite strongly anti abortion". It sounds pretty emphatic. But anyway that's up to you. 

I'm not pro abortion, because the circumstances surrounding these sad events are invariably desperate and often tragic. I think it is despicable that women should be denied the right to choose.

It is rather more than what a woman 'feels'. No all our decisions can't be decided on the basis of it's 'our body that decides'. I'm not sure where that came from. 

Suggest you start a thread on the topic. 

Keeping it local

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

American evangelical christianity has huge wealth and power and is very influential politically with its ultra right wing views. Even Obama is a professed Christian, and there has never been a US president who wasn't overtly Christian and there has never been one of another faith. If people find something ridiculous such as believing in fairy stories, hypocrisy-remember Jimmy Swaggart(and many more)? Then they have the right to ridicule it. Religion, whatever the religion is a legitimate target. Religion whatever the religion is ask to be feared because of the power and influence it wields outside of democracy.  Oh and doesn't god hate fags?

edit: Those 'kind and genuine people' would deny the right of a woman to choose, amongst other despicable things.

Jimmy Swaggart was a conman.  Trusting individuals fooled by conmen is not an experience unique to faith as you will know if you even give cursory attention to the news.  Likewise, conmen infiltrating areas of life where trusting individuals exist is not unique to faith either. 

Why do you think people of faith are legitimate targets for ridicule?  Is it just towards people of faith that you are prejudiced or do you feel prejudice towards others whose life choices differ from your own?   

I am a woman and I don't consider people who are opposed to abortion as denying my right to choose because aside from anything else those whose conscience cannot agree to abortion realise that there are more than one person involved in the decision.  Me getting pregnant involves me and one other.  Once I'm pregnant, there are three of us involved.  All three people involved in pregnancy deserve equal consideration and have equal value.  I think some of the methods used by some who are against abortion are questionable or in some cases downright wrong but their position is perfectly valid and is needed within society as a balance.

Undoubtedly the evangelical Christian movement in the USA is powerful, although so are many interest groups in the USA.  Their whole political system is built upon checks and balances, and that includes the interplay between the various lobby groups.  I've worked within the American political system and so I know how it works.  However, ordinary evangelical Christians living out their ordinary lives are mostly harmless individuals who authentically believe what they believe and seek to live by the principles of their faith.  I have great respect for anyone who can do that. 

Does god hate fags?  I don't know.  Maybe he prefers cigars?

Edited by Saintslass, 25 August 2014 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users