Leeds Rhinos refute Aiton rumours

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Total Rugby League

Total Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Leeds Rhinos head coach Brian McDermott insists their preparation for tomorrow’s Challenge Cup Final has not been affected by talk connecting hooker Paul Aiton to the doping scandal in Australia – calling the talk “rumours”.

Aiton was reported by Australian media as one of the 17 players issued with show cause notices and offered a deal relating to Cronulla Sharks’ controversial supplements program back in 2011. The likes of Paul Gallen and Jeremy Smith have accepted the deal and received a back-dated suspension, which runs until November 23 this year.

However, McDermott refused to be drawn on any talk linking Aiton with the situation, insisting the squad are merely focusing on preparing for the game.

“That’s all they are, rumours,” McDermott said.

“At no stage has our club or the RFL had any contact, WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) haven’t contacted the player. Paul is not even part of the investigation. It’s just reports in a newspaper.

“Paul’s getting ready for a game, we’re getting ready for a game.”

The post Leeds Rhinos refute Aiton rumours appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

It sounds as if Aiton has nothing to do with this (unless they are only looking at Oz residents on jurisdictional grounds).
Is it now legitimate to refer to players who have been found guilty and taken this (odd) back dated suspension, as convicted drugs cheats?

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Surely any ban involving an Australian based drugs agency would only apply to sport governed in Australia or played in Australia, right?.. If Aiton accepts the ban like many others are rumoured to have, wouldn't it only apply when he's back playing as a registered player in Australia?.. unless the International federation get involved of course.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Id have thought that any drugs ban would be worldwide?

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

I am torn between two conflicting sentiments:

It is a fundamental axiom that anyone must be considered to be innocent until proven guilty

and

Dirty Leeds.

;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

It sounds as if Aiton has nothing to do with this (unless they are only looking at Oz residents on jurisdictional grounds).
Is it now legitimate to refer to players who have been found guilty and taken this (odd) back dated suspension, as convicted drugs cheats?

surely the answee to that is yep

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Id have thought that any drugs ban would be worldwide?

Certainly it would be, but perhaps the investigation wasn't?

Edited by MrPosh, 22 August 2014 - 06:21 PM.

People called Romans they go the house

#8 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Any ban would worldwide for any sport signed up to WADA.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

surely the answee to that is yep

I thought so, but didn't want to fall foul of any protocols/get TRL in trouble.
I don't understand a back dated ban.

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

It's a typical hypocritical Australian cop out.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

There has been lots of rumours about Australian players, playing in there own domestic competition for a number of years.

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

The bans in most cases (all sports?) generally start from when you got 'caught' not sentenced. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Despite the headline Leeds haven't actually refuted anything, have they? Being in denial isn't quite the same thing.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 23 August 2014 - 10:43 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Correct BSJ; to 'refute' something you need to show some kind of proof, not just deny it.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#15 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Correct BSJ; to 'refute' something you need to show some kind of proof, not just deny it.

you want them to provide evidence of the lack of contact from the nrl/asada/wada to leeds/aiton/rfl? Who exactly do you expect some one to show proof of an absence of contact?

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

you want them to provide evidence of the lack of contact from the nrl/asada/wada to leeds/aiton/rfl? Who exactly do you expect some one to show proof of an absence of contact?

I don't expect anything.

It is, in fact, irrelevant anyway and In truth I'm perfectly okay with their denial. But, as you correctly point out, to refute the allegations would be pretty much impossible, which means the club statement was, in fact, just a denial and not a refutation, as pointed out by Blind Side Johnny.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Leeds Rhinos head coach Brian McDermott insists their preparation for tomorrow’s Challenge Cup Final has not been affected by talk connecting hooker Paul Aiton to the doping scandal in Australia – calling the talk “rumours”.

Aiton was reported by Australian media as one of the 17 players issued with show cause notices and offered a deal relating to Cronulla Sharks’ controversial supplements program back in 2011. The likes of Paul Gallen and Jeremy Smith have accepted the deal and received a back-dated suspension, which runs until November 23 this year.

However, McDermott refused to be drawn on any talk linking Aiton with the situation, insisting the squad are merely focusing on preparing for the game.

“That’s all they are, rumours,” McDermott said.

“At no stage has our club or the RFL had any contact, WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) haven’t contacted the player. Paul is not even part of the investigation. It’s just reports in a newspaper.

“Paul’s getting ready for a game, we’re getting ready for a game.”

The post Leeds Rhinos refute Aiton rumours appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

For the assistance of someone who is not a close follower of the NRL, have i missed the fact that Gallen and Jeremy Smith are currently suspended from NRL due to doping? If so, how come this hasn't made bigger headlines?

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

The bans in most cases (all sports?) generally start from when you got 'caught' not sentenced. 

But doesn't that usually happen when they're "suspended pending investigation", so they've already served part of the ban? They've been playing for most of the year so it's a 4 match ban. No wonder most players are accepting it considering the ones still at the club are already pretty much nailed on for the wooden spoon

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users