Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Latest news: Campbell pledges for 2015

Jonny Campbell Batley Bulldogs contract

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 RogerT

RogerT
  • Coach
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Been there and done, got the tee shirt, the video and enjoyed every minute of it. We'll be back.

Cheers Roger

#22 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

Why would we want him? The Rams have Morton and Scott. IMO I hope we don't sign any Batley players, as the Rams are going places whereas Batley......

Be careful Eddie you'll be getting barred again!!!

#23 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Why would we want him? The Rams have Morton and Scott. IMO I hope we don't sign any Batley players, as the Rams are going places whereas Batley......

It's Batley who are going places Eddie, like Gloucester Coventry ...

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Notwithstanding the recent history it is good to see a few RL players showing geuine loyalty towards clubs that have looked after them. It also gives you a little bit of leverage when attempting to sign new players when you can point to the fact that the club does mean something more than a pay packet.

As someone has suggested previously, if you were to go down it would be interesting to see if Danny Maun fancied a last hurrah.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Why would we want hilym? The Rams have Morton and Scott. IMO I hope we don't sign any Batley players, as the Rams are going places whereas Batley......

Amazing how we view players differently isn't it - Austin's best days are probably past him, but I reckon he is still the quickest of our wingers and the best finisher, and defensively he is no worse than the other two, which admittedly isn't much to shout about.. I've always been impressed by Campbell, and I'd bet that most neutral fans given the choice, would have him in their squad before Scott and Morton any day. It's to his credit that he is repaying the Dogs faithful by committing himself to the club next season - if the rest of the team have anything about them, they will be queuing up to re-sign, to make  amends for their performances this term - they owe the Batley supporters big time.

#26 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Amazing how we view players differently isn't it - Austin's best days are probably past him, but I reckon he is still the quickest of our wingers and the best finisher, and defensively he is no worse than the other two, which admittedly isn't much to shout about.. I've always been impressed by Campbell, and I'd bet that most neutral fans given the choice, would have him in their squad before Scott and Morton any day. It's to his credit that he is repaying the Dogs faithful by committing himself to the club next season - if the rest of the team have anything about them, they will be queuing up to re-sign, to make  amends for their performances this term - they owe the Batley supporters big time.

I agree, in a perfect world, we would be able to retain the services of players who might be up for the challenge of trying to get us back up. However, this is most certainly not a perfect world. In addition, in my world of work, and in most I would assume, when an institution gets into trouble, it is invariably the better members who leave first, simply because they can!

#27 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think it's good that Campbell is staying at Batley and showing loyalty to (or perhaps a feeling he has to pay back) the club.
As a player I think he is very good and wouldn't have minded him playing for us, but off the field...oh! Let's hope now he can put behind him those misdemeanours.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#28 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Notwithstanding the recent history it is good to see a few RL players showing geuine loyalty towards clubs that have looked after them. It also gives you a little bit of leverage when attempting to sign new players when you can point to the fact that the club does mean something more than a pay packet.

As someone has suggested previously, if you were to go down it would be interesting to see if Danny Maun fancied a last hurrah.

id like to see mauny and tiger back.....in fact there quite a few that have moved on ( with Batley in their blood )... that could do a good job for us  in CH1

Edited by RPH, 23 August 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#29 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Great player. Would love him at the Rams but nice to see he's showing you some loyalty. Rightly so.

#30 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

think the news that campbell has signed regardless of which division we are in is the best news we have had all season. brilliant for batley and always gives 100% his ability to chase seemingly lost causes from kicks keeps the opposing defence under pressure for the full game. it will be great to see you back in a batley shirt johnny good luck for next season.

#31 zaz9

zaz9
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Great news , Campbells signing, i would have loved John Davies to have done the same, i heard last week [from a good source] that John Davies had signed for sheffield eagles last week. Could anyone please tell me if thats true. We all heard last year about players who had agreed terms with other clubs ,and were leaving before the end of the season,its about time the RFL stopped clubs aproaching players mid season

#32 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Great news , Campbells signing, i would have loved John Davies to have done the same, i heard last week [from a good source] that John Davies had signed for sheffield eagles last week. Could anyone please tell me if thats true. We all heard last year about players who had agreed terms with other clubs ,and were leaving before the end of the season,its about time the RFL stopped clubs aproaching players mid season

JD has been a massive disappointment this season for me. He's not looked fit or interested. His tackling has gone to pot; the Leigh chap waltzed around him twice a couple of weeks ago in the first 5 minutes (ish) and he cost us the game against Dews with his missed tackled in the middle of the park. He's 100% going to Sheffield and I can't help but think that's partially to blame.

#33 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

JD has been a massive disappointment this season for me. He's not looked fit or interested. His tackling has gone to pot; the Leigh chap waltzed around him twice a couple of weeks ago in the first 5 minutes (ish) and he cost us the game against Dews with his missed tackled in the middle of the park. He's 100% going to Sheffield and I can't help but think that's partially to blame.

He's looked desperately unfit this season. Whether or not that's down to our fitness coaching or his own dedication remains to be seen. However, none of our other players appear to be carrying as much 'baggage'.

Posted Image

#34 reg gasnier

reg gasnier
  • Facebook
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sorry but I can't understand fans views on Davies seen him for most of his career never thought of him anymore than average decent with the ball in hand but too slow even for championship level only an opinion though some might know better

#35 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Sorry but I can't understand fans views on Davies seen him for most of his career never thought of him anymore than average decent with the ball in hand but too slow even for championship level only an opinion though some might know better

His first season with us he was outstanding, and rarely put in a less than excellent performance. I believe that  they thought so at York the season before that too, so I would disagree on the evidence of season 2013. This season he has been less effective, has looked unfit at times, has certainly been carrying injuries, and has been playing out of position at stand - off at times.

So, I guess on the evidence of this season you have a point, but for most of his career? I don't think so. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users