Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BG

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Water Boy

Water Boy
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

To go after last game of season

The board don't match his professionalism or ambition.

Edited by Water Boy, 23 August 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

The disconnect between reality and his beliefs and desires seems colossal looking in from outside !

#3 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

That must be a wind up Water Boy

Posted Image

#4 Water Boy

Water Boy
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

That must be a wind up Water Boy

No Micheal, not a wind up. Unfortunately from my point of view looks like Cresta is going to get the job.

#5 SJD

SJD
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

In his professional way BG announced this on his 'Twit' page, I'm sure the BOD have similar ambitions, the difference is they live in the real world.  After the success BG has brought Barrow I'm sure his phone will be red-hot with all the job offers.

If all else fails he might have to return to the old job, that's if Snow White has kept it open  :tongue:  

#6 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

What's wrong with Cresta. He says himself that he has unfinished business at the club. He is a lifelong barrow supporter and attends many home games. I think he was treated very shabbily last time he was pushed out of the club.

Posted Image

#7 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

BOD should just send him on his way now IMO. Let dean and phil take over for the rest of the season rather than have BG playing his lad every week in favour of lads who are going to be here next year.

Tom Heighton

#8 Water Boy

Water Boy
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

It's on his twitter that he is going.

Mash,
Whilst Cresta is coaching amateur he advises players not to sign pro. For me you are replacing one Ego with another. It's all about them. I don't understand why the fans put crestsa on this pedestal. At the end of the day what has he won as a coach? Look at the amateur clubs he has been at and how he left them.....

Russ walker for me.

#9 TMF

TMF
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Must agree with Water boy. Cresta does advise players not to turn pro. So, where does that leave us? if Cresta has unfinished business, I think it's time to come forward and say what his position actually is. Does he want the job or not? Does he want locals in the team or not? If he does, has his advice changed? To me, the future is capturing the undoubted talent we have in this area before the Super League clubs do. At least BG saw that.

#10 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Glad he's leaving, it's been nothing but the BG show since he came in... As for a replacement Steve Mccormack or Cresta for me. Just out of interest what is Peter Roe doing now?

If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up...

#11 umuppet

umuppet
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Must totally disagree how does he advise players to not sign pro ? when he scouts for pro clubs ? He has put many locals on the right track to get pro contracts you only have to look at his current under 16 team to see that. As for why he is on a pedastal is this because anyone that knows about the game of rugby league knows Paul has a huge amount of knowledge and is an excellent coach, this is probably why he is asked to go to super leagus clubs and run coaching sessions for them. This is also why he has been offered super league coaching positions in the past . If we have someone like this on our doorstep why not use them we would be stupid not to. As for Russ Walker he probably would'nt want it but if he did would only run away if we starting losing like he has with his past amatuer clubs . You obviously have some previous with cresta water boy as you would'nt say you were finished at the club if you did'nt .

#12 Water Boy

Water Boy
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Must totally disagree how does he advise players to not sign pro ? when he scouts for pro clubs ? He has put many locals on the right track to get pro contracts you only have to look at his current under 16 team to see that. As for why he is on a pedastal is this because anyone that knows about the game of rugby league knows Paul has a huge amount of knowledge and is an excellent coach, this is probably why he is asked to go to super leagus clubs and run coaching sessions for them. This is also why he has been offered super league coaching positions in the past . If we have someone like this on our doorstep why not use them we would be stupid not to. As for Russ Walker he probably would'nt want it but if he did would only run away if we starting losing like he has with his past amatuer clubs . You obviously have some previous with cresta water boy as you would'nt say you were finished at the club if you did'nt .

No, No previous with Cresta. I understand he has a scouting job and advises young players however I know there have been cases he has told players not to sign Pro.
Your prob right in Russ Walker not wanting the job but I think he would do a great job in a professional environment and also thinking about it Cresta won't want it either has he has held Dalton back from summer rugby for years and just taken them into the Pennine league so surely he wouldn't leave them now?

#13 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

When you say Cresta tells players not to sign pro do you actually mean not to sign for Barrow? I'm guessing you mean the latter, in which case is it so bad, the clubs not been in a great position the last few years and Paul might know of something better on the horizon for that particular player.
Crestas duty is currently to look after the interests of his amateur players not Barrow Raiders and he can only advise it's ultimately the players (or parents depending on age) decision

Edited by shawy13, 24 August 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#14 umuppet

umuppet
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

No, No previous with Cresta. I understand he has a scouting job and advises young players however I know there have been cases he has told players not to sign Pro.
Your prob right in Russ Walker not wanting the job but I think he would do a great job in a professional environment and also thinking about it Cresta won't want it either has he has held Dalton back from summer rugby for years and just taken them into the Pennine league so surely he wouldn't leave them now?

Your posts do not make sense you previously said Russ as you were saying cresta had had no sucess as an amatuer coach and look at the way he had left previous clubs , the same can be said of Russ who has also coached amatuer rugby at a high level and how did he leave them clubs ? Also blaming cresta for dalton not playing summer is also wrong i think you will find that the club as a whole do not want summer rugby so he has not held them back at all. As for leaving them look at what he has done with a small club like Dalton it was not all about the first team as he has set up a system from the under 8's all the way through to open age and been very successfull in doing this , i would love him to come down to barrow and set up an academy system that would see our best young local players progress into the proffesional game and think he would do an excellent job at this. What i think you are trying to say about advising players to not sign pro is that he has advised players not to sign for the cumbria academy and imo he is correct as it is geared for the west cumbrian players and i have spoken to a few players that have signed up there and regretted it , due to the travelling , pay ect.He was also proved right as the players he advised went on to sign pro contracts with super league clubs. As for the pennine league i had the same thoughts why would he leave now after getting into that League ?  But if he did he would be leaving them with a very strong coaching team and structure that he has built up at Dalton so they would continue no problem that to me is a sign of success :biggrin:

#15 umuppet

umuppet
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

When you say Cresta tells players not to sign pro do you actually mean not to sign for Barrow? I'm guessing you mean the latter, in which case is it so bad, the clubs not been in a great position the last few years and Paul might know of something better on the horizon for that particular player.
Crestas duty is currently to look after the interests of his amateur players not Barrow Raiders and he can only advise it's ultimately the players (or parents depending on age) decision

Exactly why would any coach advise his players to sign for the shambles that is Barrow at the moment , anyway you would'nt get a game unless your name was Goulding :tongue:

#16 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

When Mr Goulding first declined to continue in his coaching role I thought then that he should have been suspended on full pay and kept away from the club.
Now that it seems he has decided he wants to finish, he should have that sanction imposed.
Ask Phil and Dean to take over and see out the season.
I can see BG picking himself just so that he can run out with his son in order that his ego can be further massaged.
The time to start building a new TEAM culture is NOW. It's an old saying " There is no "I" in team"
I'm afraid for Mr Goulding everything is BG centric.

Thank you Bobby, you have livened things up at the Raiders. It didn't work.

There is another old saying a Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times"
We've had "Interesting times" this season. Can we just get back to letting the team speak for Barrow rugby rather than the focus being on the Coach?
Now it's time to have the whole Barrow team from Board to Volunteers to pull together as a TEAM and take us back where we belong.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

When Mr Goulding first declined to continue in his coaching role I thought then that he should have been suspended on full pay and kept away from the club.
Now that it seems he has decided he wants to finish, he should have that sanction imposed.
I can see BG picking himself just so that he can run out with his son in order that his ego can be further massaged.
The time to start building a new TEAM culture is NOW. It's an old saying " There is no "I" in team"

We've had "Interesting times" this season. Can we just get back to letting the team speak for Barrow rugby rather than the focus being on the Coach?
Now it's time to have the whole Barrow team from Board to Volunteers to pull together as a TEAM and take us back where we belong.

Well put!

#18 SJD

SJD
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Impossible to  disagree with any of this especially the comment on picking himself for the final game so as to play along his son creating a little club history. In the past we had a Chairman selecting the team and it caused constant arguments and discord, on this occasion the Chairman should step in to ensure this doesn't happen.

On a more positive note if games are to be played on Saturdays then you should be able to attend, have a few beers, get up early and dash back home to catch the Bears ;)   

#19 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Excellent post as always, Ron.

Posted Image

#20 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

Must totally disagree how does he advise players to not sign pro ? when he scouts for pro clubs ? He has put many locals on the right track to get pro contracts you only have to look at his current under 16 team to see that. As for why he is on a pedastal is this because anyone that knows about the game of rugby league knows Paul has a huge amount of knowledge and is an excellent coach, this is probably why he is asked to go to super leagus clubs and run coaching sessions for them. This is also why he has been offered super league coaching positions in the past . If we have someone like this on our doorstep why not use them we would be stupid not to. As for Russ Walker he probably would'nt want it but if he did would only run away if we starting losing like he has with his past amatuer clubs . You obviously have some previous with cresta water boy as you would'nt say you were finished at the club if you did'nt .

How many of Cresta's U16's have signed pro and for which teams?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users