Viewpoint from a "Newbie"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

As a newbie to the world of Rugby League this season I have found the level of sportsmanship being far superior compared to the world of the round ball variety with which I have become very disillusioned with.

I know there are issues for improvement within RL but generally the level of professionalism is high on & off the field.  It is also refreshing to see the ability of supporters being able to mingle & banter without the requirement of segregation.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my attendances at the Tetley Stadium this season of which I have managed to take on-board 13 games so far & I wish to thank everyone for the level of friendliness. I would also like to thank everyone at the club for their helpfulness & assistance over the season.

I think Glenn Morrison has done an excellent job considering that most people appear to consider him as being an infant to the role of coaching, he has the nucleus of a very good squad & with the recent signing & contract renewals all seems very positive at the club.

The Club appears to be in very good hands with Mark Sawyer & Staff. I have also been impressed with level of communications from the club regarding news / changes & events.

I love to see everyones views, thoughts & banter on the forum from all contributors.

I look forward to a bright future “The future is Red, Amber & Black

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Tom.

We long-standing (suffering?) supporters would never think of shelling out extortionate sums of money to watch a bunch of over-hyped, over-indulged preening superstars pouting and rolling about in pretend agony; and that's just SL - soccer wouldn't get a look in.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Tom.

We long-standing (suffering?) supporters would never think of shelling out extortionate sums of money to watch a bunch of over-hyped, over-indulged preening superstars pouting and rolling about in pretend agony; and that's just SL - soccer wouldn't get a look in.

Just hope the Long Standing Suffering is now over for you............Lol

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Just hope the Long Standing Suffering is now over for you............Lol

You will find in due course Tom, that life for a Dewsbury supporter is (or at least always has been) a roller coaster ride. One thing's for certain - it's seldom boring. While some fans settle for good old middle of the table mediocrity, we prefer the Ecstasy of real success, usually followed by the depths of despair - it's what we're used to. :tongue:

#5 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

You will find in due course Tom, that life for a Dewsbury supporter is (or at least always has been) a roller coaster ride. One thing's for certain - it's seldom boring. While some fans settle for good old middle of the table mediocrity, we prefer the Ecstasy of real success, usually followed by the depths of despair - it's what we're used to. :tongue:

Hope I enjoy the rollercoaster ride.........More up's than downs

With the new structure from next season it is all to play for. Cant see it being boring.

#6 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

It's always good to have new supporters at the club (at any club I suppose) and pleased you are enjoying the rugby on offer.
In most cases we (as BSJ and Grumpy point out) long standing/suffering supporters started watching Dewsbury playing to regular defeats and I think some of us cannot quite get used to the winning thing, although 1973 and 2000 had us quite giddy. We settled down again after that.

So what brought you to the Greatest Game and from where did you retreat?
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#7 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

It's always good to have new supporters at the club (at any club I suppose) and pleased you are enjoying the rugby on offer.
In most cases we (as BSJ and Grumpy point out) long standing/suffering supporters started watching Dewsbury playing to regular defeats and I think some of us cannot quite get used to the winning thing, although 1973 and 2000 had us quite giddy. We settled down again after that.

So what brought you to the Greatest Game and from where did you retreat?

I am currently active in trying to encourage Family, Friends & Work Colleagues in attending games (Work in Progress). My other half has also been a regular this season & she has enjoyed it as much as I have. (Breath of fresh air)

I was an avid Football (Soccer) supporter @ Elland Road for more years than I care to remember. IMO football mentality generally on & off the field is losing its respect in sport. Using a quote from BSJ earlier "bunch of over-hyped, over-indulged preening superstars pouting and rolling about in pretend agony" (Unquote) And be expected to shell out extortionate sums of money to watch a load of garbage.

Just hope going forward that the side now can start rewarding the long standing supporters like yourselves with a bit more in the winning ways.

#8 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Excellent post by Tom- we need more new supporters at the club like tom in the future, what is clear is if we can attract them to the games we have a decent chance of keeping them if they like the entertainment we provide. Glad you enjoy it Tom and hope you stay with us for the future journey , the future is bright at this club

#9 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Excellent post by Tom- we need more new supporters at the club like tom in the future, what is clear is if we can attract them to the games we have a decent chance of keeping them if they like the entertainment we provide. Glad you enjoy it Tom and hope you stay with us for the future journey , the future is bright at this club

Looks like you've been promoted chris

No longer the newbie and new kid on the block

It's your turn to give the lad guidance like we have with you

Welcome aboard to our happy family

:)

#10 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

You missed off the bit about your eternal soul and the Hellfire and Damnation bit mate!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#11 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Piggy as you well know

God only gives those the burden who can carry it

This is our hell were serving
And I won't be convinced otherwise

People pick to follow Leeds,St Helens,Wigan

Batley and Dewsbury fans

Are born to suffer ;)

#12 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Looks like you've been promoted chris

No longer the newbie and new kid on the block

It's your turn to give the lad guidance like we have with you

Welcome aboard to our happy family

:)

Thanks Coolie.

#13 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Coolie.

hope you arnt asian Tom...or you and Coolie wont get along....

#14 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

I take people as I find them. A spade is a spade. I am sure Coolie & I will get along just fine....

Edited by Tom Ward, 31 August 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#15 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

As it happens I've friends who are Asian

You should never judge people
By the colour if their skin
Nor just on their appearance

Your about as shallow rph
As your chances of escaping the drop

Because if I had said to you
What you've cast in my direction over the last couple of hours

You would have been bit.chin
Like a schoolgirl to the moderators
Run along you vile little man

Edited by coolie, 31 August 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#16 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

As it happens I've friends who are Asian

You should never judge people
By the colour if their skin
Nor just on their appearance

Your about as shallow rph
As your chances of escaping the drop

Because if I had said to you
What you've cast in my direction over the last couple of hours

You would have been bit.chin
Like a schoolgirl to the moderators
Run along you vile little man

hypocrite........... :onthequiet: 

#17 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

And what's that supposed to mean? Surely comments like that should result in a ban!

#18 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

And what's that supposed to mean? Surely comments like that should result in a ban!

who rattled your cage......

#19 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

who rattled your cage......

Haven't you got more important things to do such as concentrating on winning next week. As a kind gesture I will buy you a sat nav in case you get lost on your way to Oxford!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users