Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Malcolm Reilly to present the cup

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Well deserved and entirely appropriate
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Absolutely. A few too many of the Wigan-Union crowd around enjoying the hospitality though for my liking.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Mal's looking his age, who am I to talk!  I don't mind the celebs.  After all Jason's lad plays for Wigan, I'm sure Shaun would be back in RL in flash if he could get a decent team and decent money.  Perhaps they should sack Macnamara and appoint Shaun.  After all Darryl Powell coached Union before he came to Fev, made a hell of  a difference. And look at him today. Schoey, Offiah and Murphy were all close-upped on the Beeb.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Mal's looking his age, who am I to talk!  I don't mind the celebs.  After all Jason's lad plays for Wigan, I'm sure Shaun would be back in RL in flash if he could get a decent team and decent money.  Perhaps they should sack Macnamara and appoint Shaun.  After all Darryl Powell coached Union before he came to Fev, made a hell of  a difference. And look at him today. Schoey, Offiah and Murphy were all close-upped on the Beeb.

What has this got to do with mal Reilly presenting the challenge cup?
Keeping it local

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Absolutely. A few too many of the Wigan-Union crowd around enjoying the hospitality though for my liking.

Reilly had an outstanding playing career in the UK and in Australia.
He played for and coached Castleford when they had a great side.
He coached leeds.
He coached a grand final winning Newcastle knights
He coached great Britain to international credibility.

People like Reilly don't get the recognition they deserve. Having him as guest of honour goes towards repressing that.
I think the fundamental reasoning behind choosing a guest of honour is that they should deserve that honour inside or outside the sport
Keeping it local

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

He coached leeds.
People like Reilly don't get the recognition they deserve. Having him as guest of honour goes towards repressing that.
I think the fundamental reasoning behind choosing a guest of honour is that they should deserve that honour inside or outside the sport

Agree with all of that, wholeheartedly. I was on about Edwards and Robinson, who lurked in the background. Didn't mean to detract from Reilly, although it was mentioned in the main game thread. I'm 100% in favour of our game's history being recognised in this way, far better than some minor celebrity from other sports presenting the cup as we've had before.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Agree with all of that, wholeheartedly. I was on about Edwards and Robinson, who lurked in the background. Didn't mean to detract from Reilly, although it was mentioned in the main game thread. I'm 100% in favour of our game's history being recognised in this way, far better than some minor celebrity from other sports presenting the cup as we've had before.

I knew what you were getting at. It irked me a little too.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

He coached leeds.

Not forgetting: He scared the hell out of a lot of Australians!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Reilly has been brought back to the club, with other greats to talk about what the lunkheads to them. Powell played a blinder getting them In chatting about their love for the club. You have to say something has worked.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I saw an interview with Robinson. He didn't used to talk like that. If Robinson and Edwards weren't also famous in union I wonder whether they'd get wheeled out.
Keeping it local

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

I wholeheartedly agree as regards Reilly, but I see nothing wrong with distinguished former players like Edwards, Robinson, Offiah and Schofield getting a look in.  As for the game's history, I know I've said this before, but I reckon Neil Fox should present the cup, while he's till here to do it.  World record points scorer who graced Wembley on three separate occasions.

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

I saw an interview with Robinson. He didn't used to talk like that. If Robinson and Edwards weren't also famous in union I wonder whether they'd get wheeled out.

Robinson used to have a strong south Leeds accent.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,018 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

What is the relevance of that?

#14 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

My dad used to have a strong St Helens accent, it moderated when he found himself talking to people who found it difficult to understand. Like it or not, a strong northern accent can be seen as less educated.

Reilly right choice, also right move to ask former stars (even if they were pies)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#15 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Robinson used to have a strong south Leeds accent.

Since when did South Leeds have a different accent to any other part of Leeds?

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Those that know,know the difference.

#17 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

I lived in both Oakwood in 'North Leeds' and Bele Isle in South Leeds and I noticed no difference in accents.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Those that know,know the difference.

I lived in both Oakwood in 'North Leeds' and Bele Isle in South Leeds and I noticed no difference in accents.

Point proved.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 24 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#19 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Brian McDermott didn't have much time for Schofield, did he?
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Until recently I'd lived in Morley all my life, we certainly speak differently to South Leeds, but not the same as Batley and Dewsbury.  I'm sure I could spot someone from South Leeds. Does Burmantofts count as South Leeds?  I spotted Nichola Adams accent as soon as she opened her mouth after winning gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users