Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC obsession with try scorers & MOTM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I don't want to take away from what was an enjoyable Cup Final, nor away from Ryan Hall's efforts, BUT...... MOTM? really?

I've noticed that whenever BBC cover our game they seem to just give MOTM to the player that scores the most tries. No consideration to the playmakers who create the tries or the forwards who lay the platform. It seems to smack of a lack of knowledge about our game and applying a football mindset to RL.

It's a shame as it tarnishes the prestige of the Lance Todd trophy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

I thought it was awarded by the Rugby League Writers Association, not the broadcaster.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

I thought it was awarded by the Rugby League Writers Association, not the broadcaster.

It is, and it was the right decision. Hall murdered his opposite winger and centre, and scored two tries he had no right to score. Nothing to see here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Correct
I've had the privilege of being allowed to vote in the past.
Hall As ever did far more than score tries and I would have voted for him today
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Really? Not one of the halves for creating the tries? Not one of the forwards for dominating their opposition up the middle?

If these are the decisions by the general RL public, then it's no wonder England hasn't beaten the Aussies in over 40 years. A general lack of understanding of the game seems to be prevalent.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Really? Not one of the halves for creating the tries? Not one of the forwards for dominating their opposition up the middle?
If these are the decisions by the general RL public, then it's no wonder England hasn't beaten the Aussies in over 40 years. A general lack of understanding of the game seems to be prevalent.

But the halves didnt create the tries! The forwards dominated, but on a collective basis, not individual. The outstanding player was Hall, and Cas had no equivalent to him and couldnt stop him.

I'll ignore the second part of your post which gives you away as a thick Aussie.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Lets be honest, he just had to flop over the line for both of his tries, absolutely nothing to do on either of them. ;)

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hall was outstanding.

The amount of metres he made off ball returns and dominating the collision off taking the ball up was countless.

Watch the game. The reason Leeds started so many sets on the front foot was because of him. That sort of work goes unnoticed every game. Added to the fact that probably only 3 - 4 players have the ability to score the tries he did in world RL he was a definite candidate for MOM.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Don't you DARE bring facts into this! ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hall was outstanding.

The amount of metres he made off ball returns and dominating the collision off taking the ball up was countless.

Watch the game. The reason Leeds started so many sets on the front foot was because of him. That sort of work goes unnoticed every game. Added to the fact that probably only 3 - 4 players have the ability to score the tries he did in world RL he was a definite candidate for MOM.

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

The voting was very close between Hall (14) and Danny M (12).  Sinfield only got 1 vote and I think Burrow got 4.

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

They are not the decisions of the general rl public see above. People arrive at their decisions of man of the match for all sorts of reasons

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 August 2014 - 04:45 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ultimately Hall was the difference between the two teams. He scored the two tries which won the game, tries which he really had no right to score.

The forwards did well, but the halves didnt capitalise on this at all. Had they put Hall over with clear runs, fair enough, but ultimately, Leeds made few breaks, their halves did not architect this win, the back 3, solid forwards and then Halls brilliance did.

#14 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

The voting was very close between Hall (14) and Danny M (12).  Sinfield only got 1 vote and I think Burrow got 4.

Did Sinfield have a relative on the panel?

Would have voted for Maguire myself but no problems with Hall winning it.

#15 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

The game wasn't won by Leeds halves or forwards. It was won by Hall, Hardlaker and Briscoe. They made massive meters from Cas's kicking that put Leeds on the front foot all match. Hall was the best of them.
His trys were the difference.
He deservedly won the Lance Todd Trophy.

#16 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

very well deserved from hall. easily the most complete winger in modern RL in either hemisphere.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#17 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Thought McGuire deserved it to be honest. Lance Todd trophy voting always used to be a bit skewed due to the presence of non-rugby league journo's having their day out at Wembley reporting on a game they would never normally report on, and the obvious thing was to vote for the player that scored the most tries.

Hall played well, but still think McGuire should have got it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

robbie burrow had a superb game and was motm for me

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Burrow, Hall, McGuire - any of those three would have got no complaints from me.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

Burrow, Hall, McGuire - any of those three would have got no complaints from me.

Exactly right

2014 Challenged Cup Winner