Today's Super League Challenge Cup final

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

The Super League Challenge Cup final - I refuse to call it the Rugby League Challenge Cup final.

Tried in vain to watch this on TV today but gave up and watched something far more entertaining, an old black-and -white Randolph Scott western instead.

The bit of the Rye Nose v the Tiggers that I saw was, IMO, so typical of the game at the highest level these days, all bash, bash, bash and very little football. What have they done to our once marvellous game?

:tease:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 23 August 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#2 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have to agree with you Bluemonkey boring is the word.Also is there a different set of rules for super league. I lost count of the number of times that the ball was rolled back without it being played by the foot at the play the ball.On another subject has any of you twitter users tweeted Koukash to see whats going on over the ground ?

#3 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I did a few weeks ago and it was re tweeted a number of times. Still waiting for a reply!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#4 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

You're talking / typing utter garbage in my opinion Keith!

And I've watched Rugby League for nearly as long as you!

Just back from Wembley, and had a magic day, where fans from all clubs including the amateurs mingled to enjoy our sport's number 1 event!

Bash? Kevin Sinfield plays the bash game? Danny McGuire's game is nowt but power? They've skill to burn!

Try removing your 1960s glasses mate, and embrace the beauty that is modern day RL!

Spelly

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

You're talking / typing utter garbage in my opinion Keith!

And I've watched Rugby League for nearly as long as you!

Just back from Wembley, and had a magic day, where fans from all clubs including the amateurs mingled to enjoy our sport's number 1 event!

Bash? Kevin Sinfield plays the bash game? Danny McGuire's game is nowt but power? They've skill to burn!

Try removing your 1960s glasses mate, and embrace the beauty that is modern day RL!

Spelly

Thanks for your comments John, however predictable they obviously are.

I sometimes wonder if spectators like you are on regular injections of some kind of magic potion which gives you a vastly different way of seeing the game.

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

I have to agree with you Bluemonkey boring is the word.Also is there a different set of rules for super league. I lost count of the number of times that the ball was rolled back without it being played by the foot at the play the ball.On another subject has any of you twitter users tweeted Koukash to see whats going on over the ground ?

Thanks GG

#7 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Well Spelly, put me in garbage can as well - only highlight for me was the intelligent commentary from Jonathan Davies.

From the off it simply annoyed me to see players rolling the ball back - for what reason oh, yes so as to facilitate a fast play the ball.........although I am not of the sixties era, watched and played in the 70s and 80s, which for me was still better that the stuff that is played these days where the focus is on power and not on guile.

Also no one tackles around the legs anymore - its all about upper body contact.

I agree a day out to Wembley is a good trip, but that is regardless of the events on the pitch, sorry I am in firm agreement with GlennGarry and Blue Monkey......

#8 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for your comments Keith, however predictable they obviously are.

I sometimes wonder if spectators like you are on regular injections of some kind of magic potion which gives you a vastly different way of seeing the game.

Edited for my answer!

See you at Batley mate!

Spelly.

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

If my memory serves me well I think we have had this topic before when Keith has expressed his views on the current state of Super League and obviously he is entitled to his opinion, but as a 70+ person I think I can confirm that with age and the passing of time memories can fade and recollections of the 'good old days' can get distorted. Although accepting that the ball handling skills and reading of the game may well not have improved I think it is undeniable that the players are far superior athletes and the game is played so much faster - whether this is producing free flowing Rugby League is questionable.

One thing Keith I must agree with you on - Randolph Scott what a great Cowboy - so was Tom Mix and Gene Autry - nothing like those guys today.

#10 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

... athletes...

"Athletes" - exactly. "Footballers" - not very many left these days.

I don't know why they don't change its name from RF(ootball)L to RA(thletics)L

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm guessing then that watching Swinton in 1978 was more entertaining than in 1998 or 2011
I don't think so

We were rubbish

All that is old isn't better nor is everything new.
Appreciating others opinions isn't about being right or wrong!

Edited by mark richardson, 27 August 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#12 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm guessing then that watching Swinton in 1978 was more entertaining than in 1998 or 2011
I don't think so

We were rubbish

All that is old isn't better nor is everything new.
Appreciating others opinions isn't about being right or wrong!

But only a decade or so earlier WE WERE GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

#13 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Greetings to all!

Sorry I didn't weigh in earlier! Just returned home from a trip where we visited the White Lion and were close to St Augustine's church. Why do I bring that up? Because the fact that the names are the same doesn't mean it is the same. (Actually we were in the oldest city in North America, St Augustine, Florida, not S&P)

My point: when RL split from Spelly's favourite sport RU, it went with a certain set of rules that included a play the ball where both teams were involved. The ball was played back with the foot. Just like real scrums, both teams had a shot a getting the ball, with one favoured by design over the other. Not true today!

As someone who was exiled (by choice!) from RL for nigh on 25 years the changes I saw were stark because I didn't see them incrementally as most of you did.

Now, I'm ecumenical as far as sports go, because my dad was.Then: RL at Station Road, RU just across the Irwell, cricket at Radcliffe, football at Bolton then Old Trafford. Now NFL (Patriots) NHL (Bruins), RL (Lions and TV), RU (TV), EPL (TV).

Of all the games I watch only one has changed so much that by its nature, the type of athlete, the fundamentals and the strategies are different even to the untrained eye. By comparison, in my eyes, RU is fundamentally the same today as in the 60s. 

This is not to say that it is wrong or right, just not the same. The real question is why a game that once dominated in the North of England has been surpassed by the very game it sprang from? Perhaps more people prefer "old-style" rugby? More internationals? British Lions? I don't know the answers.

So, in my humble opinion, RL today is in every way a shadow of its former self, but that does not stop me from being glued to my computer following the live scores on match day or supporting the Lions to the best of my ability. And whether the Lions were good, bad or indifferent in any given era is not relevant to the state of RL today. But they were great in the 60s! And will be again!

Posted Image

#14 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

All sports evolve, but whether for the better is entirely a personal opinion. But when the Northern Union split from the Rugby Union it initially played under exactly the same rules & comprised 15-a-side. The marked differences that we observe today are a gradual evolvement over 119 years.

#15 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

All sports evolve, but whether for the better is entirely a personal opinion. But when the Northern Union split from the Rugby Union it initially played under exactly the same rules & comprised 15-a-side. The marked differences that we observe today are a gradual evolvement over 119 years.

I bow to your superior knowledge of  RL history. But over my lifetime...... I stand by my assertions!

Posted Image

#16 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I've been trying to figure out comparisons to the failure to enforce the play the ball rule and the advent of non competitive scrums.

Football: throw-ins with one hand? 60 yard throws, anyone?  Goalies can handle the ball anywhere?  Basketball: unlimited travelling? NFL: linemen can tackle rather than just block? Cricket: make the bat twice as wide? Or the pitch twice as long? Baseball: Let's use a bigger, softer ball? Oh, that's already been taken by..... softball! An Olympic sport! So I'm stretching things but in my humble opinion uncontested play the balls and scrums change the very nature of the game.

And in a world where international competition is all the rage, one sport looks inward.

OK, I'm done on this subject!

Lions fan for ever!

Geoff

Posted Image

#17 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

Well having just watched the Warrington v Huddersfield game I fail to see any argument that the current game is worse than years ago. A superb show by Michael Monoghan saw him drag his side back in to the game, a 90 yard try from Broughton this game had everything.

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Was just about to write the same thing marshy
What a game ..skill guile pace excitement

#19 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Not often in a game where each side would say "That was a point dropped, rather than one gained." But I reckon Tony Smith, and Paul Anderson will both be of that ilk.

As stated above, excitement, skill, pace. Tell me Keith, where was the "bash, bash, bash" you relate to in your opening gambit at the HJS last night?

Spelly.

#20 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Absolutely -  a top game of Rugby League last night - a top game to watch tonight - another game to watch tomorrow and a real game to watch on Sunday - different levels and in a different era - whichever you prefer we are still watching the game we love

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users