Empty Seats On The Telly.....

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

So based on the theory that was applied for the semis that was heavily supported by many in the game and in this forum - when are we moving the final to a smaller venue so it looks good on telly?

The official attendance figure is embarrassing - there were barely 60000 there yesterday. Both live and on TV it didn't look great and became a big talking point for the people I was with.

The way in which they are distributed and sold needs a complete rethink.

Empty Club Wembley seats don't help but it's a much bigger issue than that.

One solution would be more realistic pricing - especially in the upper tiers.

It looked a very expensive day out for some families yesterday.

#2 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

what percentage of club wembley seats would you say was empty?

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#3 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

95%

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

2 weeks is much too short for most neutrals (other than those who go every year) to decide to attend. Unless you had 2 big supported sides you will most likely struggle to fill the place. A bigger gap and a better advertising push to the maybes and locals is needed.

#5 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

2 weeks is much too short for most neutrals (other than those who go every year) to decide to attend. Unless you had 2 big supported sides you will most likely struggle to fill the place. A bigger gap and a better advertising push to the maybes and locals is needed.

This. As a neutral, I would have quite fancied going, and talked about it after the Castleford semi - final win. However, two weeks wasn't enough time to get myself organised, persuade someone to go with me and then begin the booking and travel arrangements. A bigger gap needed between semi and final.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Agreed, and as the Cup is due to be rescheduled, I hope a longer gap will be opened up between semifinal and final. A longer lead-in means that cheaper rail tickets can be booked, for a start.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Official attendance was stated as 78,000+ and no way was that many in there. Between 60-65k would be my guess. Very few neutrals in attendance this year. Hardly any it seemed.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Do they count all the Club Wembley seats in the figure?
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#9 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

They are 'sold', so I would assume so.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#10 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Official attendance was stated as 78,000+ and no way was that many in there. Between 60-65k would be my guess. Very few neutrals in attendance this year. Hardly any it seemed.

Year on year there seems to be fewer neutrals in attendance. Notably fewer non Super League shirts particularly.

Apart from a few Underbank fans in front of us I didnt notice any lower league attire at all. Fair few old style Broncos shirts on show mind.

#11 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

They are 'sold', so I would assume so.

77000 seems about right then
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

There are lots of things that could be done differently, but essentially, the only people who can make a real difference to the empty seats problem at Wembley are those sat at home complaining about them every year.

If you don't normally go, start planning your trip to next year's final right now, and make the difference in reducing the numbers of empty seats yourself. There's loads of time to save up, loads of time to persuade others to join you, you'll get to pick where you want to sit and how much you want to pay (you'll get some good early bird deals as well) and you'll have a great day out at one of our sport's biggest and best showpiece events. Even getting there and back doesn't have to prove that big a deal if you plan it early enough.

I'm not lecturing people from the position of having a media freebie here either. I bought and paid for my own tickets (got £32 tix for £22 on one of the RFL offers several months ago), drove myself and friends down there early yesterday morning, sharing the £40 worth of petrol it cost between 3 of us, took sandwiches to save on food costs, parked up at Hillingdon tube station which cost £2 all day, 23 minute direct tube ride to Wembley Park and there you are. Gentle stroll down Wembley Way enjoying the sights and sounds of Cup Final day and bumping into a few old friends along the way, then into the stadium to watch the curtain raiser with a bucket of tea that cost £2.

There's even now a decent shopping mall right next door to the stadium, with lots of food outlets, even a cinema, for something to do after the game without trekking into Central London.

The Cup Final is what we as Rugby League fans make it. The game itself is almost incidental to that. Some years it will be great, others it might be a bit average, but you can have a great day out at the Cup Final regardless. The players provide the main event, but the fans can lift them to greater heights as well.

So basically what I'm saying is: don't waste energy complaining about empty seats at showpiece events like Wembley, or finding reasons not to go (there will always be reasons not to go if you look hard enough to find them regardless of anything the RFL may or may not do to market it) and don't wait to see which teams get there before deciding to go. Commit yourself to the project now, make sure at the very least your own bum is filling a seat next year, then we'll all have less to complain or fret about when the official attendance is announced.

And the more non-Club Wembley seats we fill between us, the more exciting and unmissable an event our Cup Final will start to appear to those who have, but currently choose not to use, their Club Wembley seats on RL Cup Final day.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#13 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

When you have the likes of Phil Clark saying lower division clubs shouldn't be allowed to play the big teams in the cup why should the fans be interested in the final. I went to the Hunslet game on Friday and came home

#14 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I there and saw quite a few lower league shirts, Bulldogs (quite a few) ,Rams same quite a few, whitehaven,cougars,leigh,hunslet,coventry bears( did travel on the coach with them), new ravens, northampton,telford,hull wyke, dewsbury moor , what i did notice was lack of other SL shirts floating about as in only saw one wigan shirt and that was at hanger lane on way back out of london. I go every year whatever teams are there, its a tradition now . Only thing i do different now is don't go for the weekend with only been a couple of hours away by train or coach. I took a newbie to the game yesterday and  he was very impressed with the game and the atmosphere and first time he has walked up wembley way and seen different generations of people and so many different teams shirts having friendly banter with each other , as he is a wendyball supporter and used to been herded up wembley way

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I watched in a pub in Leeds (I support neither club so had no overwhelming compulsion to travel down to London) but what was notable was the large number of replica-shirt wearing Rhinos fans who'd obviously made a conscious decision to 'support' their team in the the pub rather than travel to Wembley.

The scheduling obviously acts as a real barrier but supporter apathy is just as big a problem.

With two well supported clubs like Leeds and Cas making the final, there shouldn't really be such a reliance on neutrals attending.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

The challenge cup and Grand Final are to close together and the RFL have diluted the challenge cup to make the Grand final the pinnacle game of the season. Probably a rethink on when the challenge cup is played could help.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#17 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

The challenge cup and Grand Final are to close together and the RFL have diluted the challenge cup to make the Grand final the pinnacle game of the season. Probably a rethink on when the challenge cup is played could help.

To be fair, the RFL is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't, over this one. Ever since the game moved to summer the problem has been do we 'keep' the game in May which means starting the rounds in pre-season, or do we 'keep' the final at the end of the season and clash with the play-offs. We need the judgement of Soloman for this one - and I don't think he's on the RFL payroll.

Edited by Bulliac, 24 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#18 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

There are lots of things that could be done differently, but essentially, the only people who can make a real difference to the empty seats problem at Wembley are those sat at home complaining about them every year.

If you don't normally go, start planning your trip to next year's final right now, and make the difference in reducing the numbers of empty seats yourself. There's loads of time to save up, loads of time to persuade others to join you, you'll get to pick where you want to sit and how much you want to pay (you'll get some good early bird deals as well) and you'll have a great day out at one of our sport's biggest and best showpiece events. Even getting there and back doesn't have to prove that big a deal if you plan it early enough.

I'm not lecturing people from the position of having a media freebie here either. I bought and paid for my own tickets (got £32 tix for £22 on one of the RFL offers several months ago), drove myself and friends down there early yesterday morning, sharing the £40 worth of petrol it cost between 3 of us, took sandwiches to save on food costs, parked up at Hillingdon tube station which cost £2 all day, 23 minute direct tube ride to Wembley Park and there you are. Gentle stroll down Wembley Way enjoying the sights and sounds of Cup Final day and bumping into a few old friends along the way, then into the stadium to watch the curtain raiser with a bucket of tea that cost £2.

There's even now a decent shopping mall right next door to the stadium, with lots of food outlets, even a cinema, for something to do after the game without trekking into Central London.

The Cup Final is what we as Rugby League fans make it. The game itself is almost incidental to that. Some years it will be great, others it might be a bit average, but you can have a great day out at the Cup Final regardless. The players provide the main event, but the fans can lift them to greater heights as well.

So basically what I'm saying is: don't waste energy complaining about empty seats at showpiece events like Wembley, or finding reasons not to go (there will always be reasons not to go if you look hard enough to find them regardless of anything the RFL may or may not do to market it) and don't wait to see which teams get there before deciding to go. Commit yourself to the project now, make sure at the very least your own bum is filling a seat next year, then we'll all have less to complain or fret about when the official attendance is announced.

And the more non-Club Wembley seats we fill between us, the more exciting and unmissable an event our Cup Final will start to appear to those who have, but currently choose not to use, their Club Wembley seats on RL Cup Final day.

This might help - not simple though - CC final still on August Bank holiday Saturday...

The 2015 Challenge Cup will be aligned to the new competition structure with the main change being that the eight clubs contesting the Super League play-offs in 2014 (and Super 8s from 2015 onwards) will enter the Challenge Cup at the sixth round stage.
The 14 League 1 teams will enter at the third round stage, joining the 10 survivors from the 40 clubs invited to participate from the first round (12 ties)
The 12 Championship clubs will then enter in Round 4, joining the 12 third round winners (12 ties).
The bottom four Super League teams enter in Round 5, joining the 12 fourth round winners (eight ties).
The top eight Super League teams enter in Round 6, joining the eight fifth round winners (eight ties)
The sixth round is followed by the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final at Wembley Stadium.
The 2015 Challenge Cup final will be played on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Edited by Bomballey, 24 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#19 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Do supporters of super league clubs now choose the catalans trip over Wembley?

#20 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

It very much feels like it is going through the motions at the moment. The target has to be to get 10-15k booking earlier in the year to give it any chance of selling out. Ideally, the majority of these could be people within commuting distance of the venue.

I'm no expert but perhaps a big pre-match show or something that gives neutrals and occasional ticket buyers a big day out experience. Market it hard to get those early sales to newbies and occasionals - not just rounds of emails to the same old faces.

What would we have been looking at had Catalans got to Wembley this year? I was there in 2007 (Catalans v Saints) and it was pretty obvious then that a majority of fans had pre-booked tickets because it was the first year back at Wembley etc. We need to find that big game audience again. Clubs taking 10-20k each are still doing their part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users