lessons learnt

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Now the bitter dissapointment has faded and the realisation of relegation has been accepted what now. For me its all about becoming wiser.
No more reliance on dual reg.
Big squad.
Use bissa as its intended purpose.
Educate players better as to their obligations and conduct.
Respect and value the bulldog hardcore 500

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Big squad = more expense or lower quality players to make up the numbers. Not going to be easy but we should be a bigger draw than some clubs in CC1 and I can't see the Cougars letting Tiger go cheap. I will have to be done with new blood and some past their best. At least Ben Black might do another season in CC1?

If I understand correctly will DR only be maintained in CC1? I think we should look to loan a few players rather than the DR are they arn't they playing farce that contributed to our demise this season.

I notice Hunslet charge £12 I think for their games. Will ours stay at £15 next season I wonder?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

The outcome of the DR deliberations has not yet been revealed PM. I'm sure that it will be retained for KPC1 clubs but would be complicated for those in the Championship who aspire to getting into the Qualifier league.

Some clubs valued the other aspects of DR highly - access to improved medical support, conditioning etc - but many are seriously reviewing their position for next season. It still remains a temptation for cash-strapped clubs and I wouldn't be surprised if Batley did continue with it next year, although they may review who to partner with.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Now the bitter dissapointment has faded and the realisation of relegation has been accepted what now. For me its all about becoming wiser.
No more reliance on dual reg.
Big squad.
Use bissa as its intended purpose.
Educate players better as to their obligations and conduct.
Respect and value the bulldog hardcore 500

You're not down yet, but if that was the case I can't see why all the doom and gloom. When we went down under woz, we retained most of an underachieving squad, who were good enough to get us back. Don't see why that couldn't be the case for Batley. I doubt your crowds will drop by much, as you will probably retain the core support that has kept you going in the past - our crowds actually increased, because we played good football, a contrast to recent seasons. Yes journeys to places like Oxford will be a bit of a bummer, but there are still a good few traditional clubs left in there, so there will be plenty of familiar grounds. I don't think a drop would be as devastating as some think.

#5 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Big squad is needed because playing lads with knocks and sickness has hit us hard.

I would pay no more than 12 £ good point.

Black is due to get married to a halifax lass but whether the lure of semi retirement down under or putting his broken limbs through more stick against conference teams in front of 400 is more enticing I wouldnt begrudge his decision.

Wonder if barry eaton is ready for a coaching stint at the mount

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Big squad is needed because playing lads with knocks and sickness has hit us hard.

Black is due to get married to a halifax lass but whether the lure of semi retirement down under or putting his broken limbs through more stick against conference teams in front of 400 is more enticing I wouldnt begrudge his decision.

They are not conference teams so why the disparaging remarks? One of the things that would appeal to me if we went down would be the opportunity to travel beyond the Halifaxes and Leighs of this world and to see what is happening in the newer clubs out there. And remember, a few of our crowds have been not much more than 400 this season.Does that make us a conference side now, especially, as looks likely, we will be in the same division as them.

(Apologies to the spelling police out there but I have no idea what the plural of Halifax is!!)

Edited by distantdog, 24 August 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Good point 9'O. Will JK stick around to coach a team in KPC1 or will a new recruit be needed? If so, whom?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

You're not down yet, but if that was the case I can't see why all the doom and gloom. When we went down under woz, we retained most of an underachieving squad, who were good enough to get us back. Don't see why that couldn't be the case for Batley. I doubt your crowds will drop by much, as you will probably retain the core support that has kept you going in the past - our crowds actually increased, because we played good football, a contrast to recent seasons. Yes journeys to places like Oxford will be a bit of a bummer, but there are still a good few traditional clubs left in there, so there will be plenty of familiar grounds. I don't think a drop would be as devastating as some think.

I don't think it will be as easy to get back up with the five dropping down, plus 2 of either York, Hunslet or Oldham will still be there so it will certainly be no walk in the park for anyone. When Dewsbury did it I don't think there was the competition there will be next season for promotion. As for players staying unfortunately that very rarely happens either as the pay between the two leagues isn't comparable and nor is the money from the RFL.

Players will go where the money is as well as wanting to play at the highest level possible, its a short career and you can't blame them for doing so. I will say hats off to Jonny Campbell because he could certainly have had bigger and better offers from Championship clubs but he has chosen to stay put.

Edited by Deano44, 24 August 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#9 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Do you know i read your first post and agreed entirely what you said

Then you had to spoil it with this response, when you say conference teams are you  implying the playing standard of some of these non heartland clubs or the standard of the facilities ?

As for Barry Eaton i think you will find he signed a further 2 or 3 years contract with the Hawks early on in the season and as for who will be Batleys coach surely this is for discussion once there is a vacancy and wasn't aware that JK had been sacked or resigned as yet

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Do you know i read your first post and agreed entirely what you said
Then you had to spoil it with this response, when you say conference teams are you implying the playing standard of some of these non heartland clubs or the standard of the facilities ?

As for Barry Eaton i think you will find he signed a further 2 or 3 years contract with the Hawks early on in the season and as for who will be Batleys coach surely this is for discussion once there is a vacancy and wasn't aware that JK had been sacked or resigned as yet

To be fair RD, from speaking to Hunslet fans i know, the standard of some isno better than you see at yorkshire league level, and the facilities of most (Oldham included) make Owlerton look like wembley.

Life in League 1 will be a massive culture shock for us fans and players alike, and by no means will it be easy, we must get the recruitment spot on in order to bounce straight back.

Thats if we do go down of course......

Edited by buford t justice, 24 August 2014 - 12:03 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

nothing can make owlerton look like wembley :) at least most of them have dressing rooms with showers and treatment rooms and decent bars for the fans

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#12 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

nothing can make owlerton look like wembley :) at least most of them have dressing rooms with showers and treatment rooms and decent bars for the fans

and am sure most clubs have at least a few seats for those who like to watch the game outside,aint one single seat outside and in 2014/15 thats poor./and you cant sit in hare and hounds bar unless you hold an eagles season ticket.. :rtfm:

#13 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Oxford has a duck pond in the ground and apparently you need to play Hemel when its dry due to the lack of concrete walkways!

Will be a fascinating adventure that im peversely looking forward to.

#14 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

I think people are being very disrespectful to the lower division (whatever it may be called) for next season.  If we go down, for a start we will be against 4 teams who we have played against this season - are they conference/yorkshire league level? - together with, as has been stated, Hunslet, Oldham or Gateshead (with their new money).  All of these clubs will be fighting to get out of the division, plus the other newer clubs will be fighting to prove themselves having, with one exception, had a full season or more to adjust to the level.

#15 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Oxford has a duck pond in the ground and apparently you need to play Hemel when its dry due to the lack of concrete walkways!

Will be a fascinating adventure that im peversely looking forward to.

I don't follow the first part, BTJ, as it is a ground where top class RU has been played and don't forget was also where the first 4 minute mile was achieved.  With regard to Hemel surely you can remember what our ground used to be like, with the main stand condemned plus the long stand just railway sleepers and grass banking at both ends etc.

Edited by fredm, 24 August 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#16 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I don't follow the first part, BTJ, as it is a ground where top class RU has been played and don't forget was also where the first 4 minute mile was achieved. With regard to Hemel surely you can remember what our ground used to be like, with the main stand condemned plus the long stand just railway sleepers and grass banking at both ends etc.

Im only relaying what i have been told Fred, by all accounts the Oxford ground is set in a public park and has been adapted for life in championship 1.

Maybe duck ponds are a great initiative that other clubs havent cottoned on to yet? Dewsbury tried badgers a few years ago but that didnt catch on for whatever reason.

#17 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

oxfords ground is iffley rd which has held RU ,internationals, and is a picturesque ground. Coventry bears play out of Butts arena which is a 3000 seater stadium and also home to NL1 Coventry rugby union , Gloucester play at the Prince of Wales stadium with a 500 seater stand and some top nosh ,pies there are 2nd to Batleys though. Hemel have their own ground with a stand erected last season with plans to develop the ground further and have an ace bar with several real ales on for the beer officiandos. The one thing that all 4 of these clubs have in common is that they have peolpe running them with rugby league now in their blood and not somebody who thinks they can start up a rugby club and make a quick buck and once they find out they can't then bail out.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I don't think it will be as easy to get back up with the five dropping down, plus 2 of either York, Hunslet or Oldham will still be there so it will certainly be no walk in the park for anyone. When Dewsbury did it I don't think there was the competition there will be next season for promotion. As for players staying unfortunately that very rarely happens either as the pay between the two leagues isn't comparable and nor is the money from the RFL.

Players will go where the money is as well as wanting to play at the highest level possible, its a short career and you can't blame them for doing so. I will say hats off to Jonny Campbell because he could certainly have had bigger and better offers from Championship clubs but he has chosen to stay put.

Dewsbury were far from favorites though - Oldham were nailed on as division winners, having spent heavily, and Keighley were also highly rated. We didn't walk every game by a long way. Just saying, if you can retain a fair number of the current squad, you will be good enough to get back up, particularly as there is a fair points gap between fourth and fifth from bottom..

#19 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

I hope we don't lower prices. It won't make a difference to gates and the club will just have less money to spend on players

#20 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Dont be daft Hopkins whos attracted to south wales gateshead Gloucester etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users