Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Tickets 2015

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

Notice that Keighley have released details of season tickets, wondering if we will be having any special early birds deals, season tickets prices will have to be increased for 2015, to keep our squad as competitive with other teams.Any details when prices will be released for 2015 season?

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

MS spoke about this at the meeting the other week saying how difficult the balance is between affordability and the need to strengthen the team. I believe that September was being targetted for an announcement of some kind.

I'm personallya little suspicious of Keighley's tactics and we shouldn't take their actions as being in any way typical. As well as announcing heavily discounted prices for 2015 they also announced that their gate price was rising to £17. That's a novel approach to bait and switch isn't it - raise the unit cost then heavily discount for a bulk buy?

One factor that MS did refer to, which hadn't occured to me before, is the effect of our ageing fan base with more than 50% of season tickets now being sold as concessions. This compares with only 22% not so many years ago. In other words, even if we maintain atendance figures the actual gate income is steadily dropping. This is an issue that is facing all clubs below SL level I believe.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

MS spoke about this at the meeting the other week saying how difficult the balance is between affordability and the need to strengthen the team. I believe that September was being targetted for an announcement of some kind.

I'm personallya little suspicious of Keighley's tactics and we shouldn't take their actions as being in any way typical. As well as announcing heavily discounted prices for 2015 they also announced that their gate price was rising to £17. That's a novel approach to bait and switch isn't it - raise the unit cost then heavily discount for a bulk buy?

One factor that MS did refer to, which hadn't occured to me before, is the effect of our ageing fan base with more than 50% of season tickets now being sold as concessions. This compares with only 22% not so many years ago. In other words, even if we maintain atendance figures the actual gate income is steadily dropping. This is an issue that is facing all clubs below SL level I believe.

I'm either extremely loyal or extremely dim - I get my ticket as a Xmas present from the wife, but I haven't told her I can get a concession - god help me if she finds out. ;)

#4 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Though the drop in income is an issue, I think the older generation are a potentially untapped market.

Generally, they have more free time as family commitments reduce i.e.kids grow up, they have more disposable income than young families and as shown above have more loyalty. The average life expectancy of a 65 year old is 20 years.

Yes we should encourage youngsters to attend, but we shouldn't forget the old 'uns either. Who knows they might even bring their grandkids.

I have suggested this before, but I am sure organisations like Probus, Rotary club would be happy to have GM and/or his wife come along and talk about being a professional coach / marketing etc..They are usually looking for speakers and we could invite them to a game in return.

#5 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm personallya little suspicious of Keighley's tactics and we shouldn't take their actions as being in any way typical. As well as announcing heavily discounted prices for 2015 they also announced that their gate price was rising to £17. That's a novel approach to bait and switch isn't it - raise the unit cost then heavily discount for a bulk e.

Very difficult to get the balance right, but £17 per game is idiotic. I stopped going to Leigh and Halifax because of the ridiculous price and won't ever pay £16 to get into that dump at Sheffield ever again. If Keighley charge £17 that's another ground I won't be going to.
As to season tickets. I am sure it's tempting to hike the prices again, it's not cheap paying for a squad of 80 (I might exaggerate, but only a tad) but much more than £120 and it will def put some people off.
Glad it's not me making the decision!
The point about our ageing speccies is interesting. I have mentioned on here before that there can't be more than 10 people who ever pay the full fee to get in the south Stand. The concession / juniors queue seems to include ages from 5 to 25 and then 50 upwards....Almost impossible to police I know.....

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Though the drop in income is an issue, I think the older generation are a potentially untapped market.

Generally, they have more free time as family commitments reduce i.e.kids grow up, they have more disposable income than young families and as shown above have more loyalty. The average life expectancy of a 65 year old is 20 years.

Yes we should encourage youngsters to attend, but we shouldn't forget the old 'uns either. Who knows they might even bring their grandkids.

I have suggested this before, but I am sure organisations like Probus, Rotary club would be happy to have GM and/or his wife come along and talk about being a professional coach / marketing etc..They are usually looking for speakers and we could invite them to a game in return.

A very good point WR and one that a few other organisations are recognising. Without the short-term there can't be a long-term to plan for, so targetting immediate markets can have an instantly beneficial effect. After all it's not as if we're expected to pay to stand on windswept open terraces any more, is it?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users