Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

score

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#141 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Sleep tight BKM ;)

What was it ? We won't get another point , and our points diff could be wiped out by Leigh , and they win both and get. 7th ... That right ? Oh and Dews will have everything to play for and steam roll us . They've more than enough there to keep them concerned - focus on that , they're in strife still

Edited by DavidM, 31 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#142 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

As I said in response, on our Forum, if that bonus point keeps you up, every Town fan will have surely cheered it. Had we been in your situation, or neck and neck with Fev, Leigh fans would have cheered every bonus point too. Whether you agree with the bonus point system, or not, I have to say it has been a just reward for Workington this season, in the way they have scrapped for every point available, and have never given up. Well done

Thanks for the kind words Alan, I think we all realise every club seems to have one or two erm....odd ones. We got some stick of some of your fans at home for celebrating getting a bonus point, its a real shame fans like that cant remember the times when clubs positions were reversed and any victory can be celebrated, even a moral one.

#143 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ha ! I've just had a look at that forum . Deary me some people have short memories . Those superior and patronising Leigh fans should remember the troubles they've had , and everything is cyclical . They're on a high now , but they have a top class squad , good investment , and now half a million to go full time ... We are an outpost , with minimal resources doing all we can to survive - within the rules laid down . Give us a break ! We've done extraordinary , swallow and accept that . Cheering a BP - away at Leigh to earn survival when all reason said we'd be doomed , how dare we !! DR - well , not our fault is it ? Don't be arrogant , it's not a good luck . With what you have you , and what we have , you should smash us in rain , with a rubbish ref , in a slow game , with 5 fringe wiganers and more ... But didn't .And dressing and talking funny ...heh ?

Edited by DavidM, 31 August 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#144 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Ha ! I've just had a look at that forum . Deary me some people have short memories . Those superior and patronising Leigh fans should remember the troubles they've had , and everything is cyclical . They're on a high now , but they have a top class squad , good investment , and now half a million to go full time ... We are an outpost , with minimal resources doing all we can to survive - within the rules laid down . Give us a break ! We've done extraordinary , swallow and accept that . Cheering a BP - away at Leigh to earn survival when all reason said we'd be doomed , how dare we !! DR - well , not our fault is it ? Don't be arrogant , it's not a good luck . With what you have you , and what we have , you should smash us in rain , with a rubbish ref , in a slow game , with 5 fringe wiganers and more ... But didn't .And dressing and talking funny ...heh ?

I remember it cracking flags at your place last year and getting our backsides handed to us. Like you say, some folk have short memories.

As I posted on our forum on Saturday, Worky gave a very good account of themselves on and off the field and I'm looking forward to playing you again next season.

• dkw likes this

#145 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Gee whizz Matt , you talk funny down there !!! ( ha ha , couldn't resist ) ... Well said , yes we're looking forward to it as well . No doubt , it says so in the paper !

#146 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Gents - Alan E does enjoy opposition ass licking, just too nice a bloke to give you the truth

Firstly great craic in the North stand with your fans - proper banter, look on the blokes face when I suggested a merger with Haven was a joy until he realised I was extracting the urine.

Onto the game, we had two players out with ops and 'rested' Acton, Barlow and Pitman, getting some game time for new recruits Walker and Platt -  a very strong team all the same. The game itself was poor, with terrible officials who seemed to forget we are in the entertainment industry. Lots of emotion about on the day, and lots of 'distractions' the club /players have been involved in the past couple of weeks probably didnt help

You dominated field position and possession early doors and moved the ball along the line without looking dangerous, it lashed down late morning and again during the game compounding the errors and poor officials - you got the point that will keep you up and we took a scrappy win in our heritage game

All the best for the future but you need some size down the middle to compete next year, get that and you will be fine

#147 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Gents - Alan E does enjoy opposition ass licking, just too nice a bloke to give you the truth
Firstly great craic in the North stand with your fans - proper banter, look on the blokes face when I suggested a merger with Haven was a joy until he realised I was extracting the urine.
Onto the game, we had two players out with ops and 'rested' Acton, Barlow and Pitman, getting some game time for new recruits Walker and Platt - a very strong team all the same. The game itself was poor, with terrible officials who seemed to forget we are in the entertainment industry. Lots of emotion about on the day, and lots of 'distractions' the club /players have been involved in the past couple of weeks probably didnt help
You dominated field position and possession early doors and moved the ball along the line without looking dangerous, it lashed down late morning and again during the game compounding the errors and poor officials - you got the point that will keep you up and we took a scrappy win in our heritage game
All the best for the future but you need some size down the middle to compete next year, get that and you will be fine

it's not just you who had players players missing, we had arguably 2 of our 3 best forwards out in stack and szostak, and the best winger in the league out as well.You were poor because town made you play that way, same as we did up here, not the officials or the weather. You've had a fantastic year and deserve all the credit but on the field your not a million miles off us as both meetings have shown. Alan gave an honest opinion, probably the only one on your very biased forum.

Edited by wonky, 01 September 2014 - 11:59 AM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#148 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

and the best winger in the league out as well.

Liam Kay on 26 tries this season might disagree with that ;)

#149 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

it's not just you who had players players missing, we had arguably 2 of our 3 best forwards out in stack and szostak, and the best winger in the league out as well.You were poor because town made you play that way, same as we did up here, not the officials or the weather. You've had a fantastic year and deserve all the credit but on the field your not a million miles off us as both meetings have shown. Alan gave an honest opinion, probably the only one on your very biased forum.

If those lads have size then they may be a solution but I don't know your squad, you're not a million miles off anyone as your BP's show but trust me on a fast day with a motivated team we are somewhat better than what we dished up at the weekend
You certainly look a well drilled enthusiastic team though that shouldn't be troubling the relegation spots next season

#150 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

If those lads have size then they may be a solution but I don't know your squad, you're not a million miles off anyone as your BP's show but trust me on a fast day with a motivated team we are somewhat better than what we dished up at the weekend
You certainly look a well drilled enthusiastic team though that shouldn't be troubling the relegation spots next season

not so much size but definitely strength in the pair of them. Kris coward and Callum rowlandson are probably the two biggest props in the league but neither were picked on Sunday. We miss acton and if we'd kept hold of him and Thackeray this year I think safety would have been guaranteed a couple of games ago. We seem to favour speed and agility down the middle rather than bulk. We are also a lot better in dry conditions, as you boys should know from the game up here last season. Good luck for the rest of the season and I'm sure you or Donny will be champs this season
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#151 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Definitely need some extra beef and a bit more ball playing ability in the middle . Guys like you mentioned wonky had that . Shacks looks our top prop now , so we need reinforcing and quality to lay the platform in , regardless of titles , is a SL 2. I'm still not sold that 4 is gonna do it , unless we're still banking on DR , and loans are to be added ?

Edited by DavidM, 01 September 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#152 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Can't see DR lasting to next season, too much at stake imi

#153 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Definitely need some extra beef and a bit more ball playing ability in the middle . Guys like you mentioned wonky had that . Shacks looks our top prop now , so we need reinforcing and quality to lay the platform in , regardless of titles , is a SL 2. I'm still not sold that 4 is gonna do it , unless we're still banking on DR , and loans are to be added ?

PV'S tactics seem to be going round reams where charlos were to go through a team. We defo need a bit of beef in the pack.

#154 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Yeah . Part plan part playing to our strong points you'd reckon . Better to watch either way . Important to say guys in the middle - including Mcavoy , Karl , even Rooney , who've done the hard yards , have given everything in standing up to whatever's in front of them . Bit of reinforcing helps them and guys like Matty and the halves , but no sleight on the guys who've stood up big style , often giving weight but no quarter .

Edited by DavidM, 01 September 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#155 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing big callum after a PV pre season
bluewhitearmy

#156 Townie123

Townie123
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Liam Kay on 26 tries this season might disagree with that ;)

Only 26 tries in a team that's won all but 1 game .. Posting 40 points a game in the process...

#157 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Onto the game, we had two players out with ops and 'rested' Acton, Barlow and Pitman, getting some game time for new recruits Walker and Platt -  a very strong team all the same. The game itself was poor, with terrible officials who seemed to forget we are in the entertainment industry. Lots of emotion about on the day, and lots of 'distractions' the club /players have been involved in the past couple of weeks probably didnt help

True I'm a nice bloke! ;)

However, I will always respect the opposition - especially when they have played well. Could it maybe have been that we were poor, because Workington stood up to us, and refused to be steam-rollered by our pack? Who knows? But that's the second time we have had a very difficult game against Town this season, so perhaps credit has to be given to our opposition.

As for Matt remembering last season's lesson, at Derwent Park, I'm old enough to remember losing by 94-4 there many years ago. Of course, there were no bonus points to motivate us in those days, or pie-eaters for us to take on D/R!!

Edited by AlanE, 02 September 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#158 Snowys Backside

Snowys Backside
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

94-4 !!

I remember it well and got so drunk, my trip home felt like 10 mins.

Lets hoipe the 3000 lapsed Worky fans from that era return next season.

I for one will be looking at the fixtures again before booking my weekend in the Lakes.

#159 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

We'd all agree with that middle bit . Even a decent percentage

#160 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Thought that was the way it looked:-