Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Incoming Bath signing Sam Burgess will play at centre

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#221 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

But two trades with similar skills might be a possibility. He might be good enough to play RU, only time will tell.

Yawn, Yawn!!!!

#222 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

This was a few years into professionalism and, even if they had still been amateurs, they were the nations and some of the worlds best union players!  Are you saying that throughout its history pre-1995, union, particularly the international game, which was so eulogised by the media, was in fact of extremely poor quality?  So poor, in fact, that its participants couldn't perform the basics to any real degree of competence?  That is what I infer from your post.

Yes it was. The famous Baa baas game with That Try was replayed on Sky recently. It was a very poor game apart from a few good bits.
Larder was England coach in 1997, the game went fully pro in 1995. But the point is that was then, this is now. In my opinion it has changed, a lot, for the better

#223 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yes it was. The famous Baa baas game with That Try was replayed on Sky recently. It was a very poor game apart from a few good bits.
Larder was England coach in 1997, the game went fully pro in 1995. But the point is that was then, this is now. In my opinion it has changed, a lot, for the better

Thanks for clarifying.  So, 2 years in to full time professionalism some of the worlds top union players couldn't tackle?  Anyway, that aside, we are agreed that union was definitely garbage pre-1995 and since then it is marginally less so.  I can live with that.

#224 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

Not quite. It was poor as a spectacle when amateur, it is immeasurably better now. I'm not sure of the veracity of that Larder quote either

#225 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Not quite. It was poor as a spectacle when amateur, it is immeasurably better now. I'm not sure of the veracity of that Larder quote either

How about some words from Jiffy then,

As Jonathan Davies, whose outstanding career spanned both codes, wrote in The Independent (a UK newspaper), the sophistication of defensive systems learnt from league can make attacking rugby very hard. He added, however, that "league got them into this situation and now can get them out of it".

We keep getting told that League is not a sophisticated game though !!

Quote from "betterrugbycoaching.com".

#226 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Yes, but immeasurably better than poor doesn't necessarily make it any good.   It also begs the question as to why it was such high profile in the media, particularly at the BRUBC, in those amateur days when it was so poor.  BTW, the Larder quote was widely reported at the time, whether you want to believe it or not.

#227 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Sam will be retired by the time this thread has finished dragging itself out.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users