Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Appeal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
214 replies to this topic

#201 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

It's far more likely that the RFL relied on local authority Health and Safety certificates in regard to stadium approval back then.

Posted Image

#202 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

Of course he could just take the honourable course and admit that he doesn't know, then no more need be said.

Ah - that's right, Johnny.  Nothing happened unless there's an internet link to it.   That's the world we live in these days.

If you want to deny that there were any form of ground regulations back in the '80s, that's  fine.  Seems untenable to me, though.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#203 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

I bet you would have given Paxman a nervous breakdown Griff.
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#204 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

He would have been embarrassed to ask such daft questions, John.  It'd make him look foolish.

#205 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm still not so sure Redditch, I remember going to a Batley 'A' team game away at Bramley (I think) for a midweek evening kick off. I think they'd had a fire or something meaning the game could not be played at Barley Mow. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I'm sure there wasn't a fence around the playing area, I also seem to remember there were floodlights along one side of the ground, but not the other. I'm not even sure there were changing rooms at the ground, it was a bit like the pitch in Saville Town with a bit of a banking along one side. I think the players came dressed for the game on the coach, a bit like teams are doing when they visit Owlerton now, which is why I don't think there were minimum standards at the time, if there had been there is no way the game would have been allowed to take place, I'd played at better grounds as a kid. 

I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong Griff, given your extensive knowledge of rugby league grounds in the 80's and your superior knowledge of the rules in terms of minimum ground regulations at the time, even I'm quite looking forward to seeing your evidence.

I remember Bramley's "Gents" toilet. A stretch of old guttering enclosed by a length of hessian sacking, attached to some wooden poles. When you walked past the outside there was fine spray issuing forth, powerful enough to wet your shoes - horrible.

#206 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

He would have been embarrassed to ask such daft questions, John.  It'd make him look foolish.

Come on Griff just admit it, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Just like your quote regarding Batley's ground being "by far the worst" you'd seen, made it blatantly obvious you hadn't seen that many grounds in the 80's.

If you had, you'd have realised that although the Mount wasn't great, it was no worse than most of the others at that time. Most of the grounds in the 80's were getting on for 80 - 100 years old and most really showed there age. As already mentioned, there were some absolute shockers, even worse than Batley's, Most of the toilets consisted of a bit of guttering on the floor, as GOR states above; at Bramley there was just a bit of old cloth attached to wooden poles instead of a wall, and if grounds had a sit down loo of any description it was rarity.

So come on, just admit you don't know what you are talking about and that you were wrong.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 03 September 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#207 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

Come on Griff just admit it, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Just like your quote regarding Batley's ground being "by far the worst" you'd seen, made it blatantly obvious you hadn't seen that many grounds in the 80's.

If you had, you'd have realised that although the Mount wasn't great, it was no worse than most of the others at that time. Most of the grounds in the 80's were getting on for 80 - 100 years old and most really showed there age. As already mentioned, there were some absolute shockers, even worse than Batley's, Most of the toilets consisted of a bit of guttering on the floor, as GOR states above; at Bramley there was just a bit of old cloth attached to wooden poles instead of a wall, and if grounds had a sit down loo of any description it was rarity.

So come on, just admit you don't know what you are talking about and that you were wrong.

Is this the players' accommodation we're talking about - or the hoi polloi ?

#208 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Is this the players' accommodation we're talking about - or the hoi polloi ?

My god are you still boring people with your holier than thou attitude from that Super stadium otherwise known as " The delapidated dump " A nice hol for me and i come back to reading inane contributions to the Bulldog mssg. board from you.

#209 RogerT

RogerT
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Don't worry greavsey, it looks like he might be migrating onto the Zak Hardaker topic on the general forum.

Cheers Roger.

#210 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

My god are you still boring people with your holier than thou attitude from that Super stadium otherwise known as " The delapidated dump " A nice hol for me and i come back to reading inane contributions to the Bulldog mssg. board from you.

I merely pointed out that plenty of clubs have had temporary problems.  You - and others - decided to turn it into World War III.

#211 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

I merely pointed out that plenty of clubs have had temporary problems. You - and others - decided to turn it into World War III.

Thought temporary was short term

Not c.rap grounds since 1984

How temporary do we have to put up with Sheffield.??

Edited by coolie, 04 September 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#212 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thought temporary was short term

Not c.rap grounds since 1984

How temporary do we have to put up with Sheffield.??

Bit rich coming from a supporter of a club who preferred Mount St Mary's to Bramall Lane.

#213 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

Bit rich coming from a supporter of a club who preferred Mount St Mary's to Bramall Lane.

Again nowt to do with our ground

Was your home game ya nomad ;)

Surprised your not sponsored by
Big fat gypsy weddings Inc

I can understand why Sheffield eagles fans have a irish twang
And a addiction to scrap metal

;)

#214 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Now what's that got to do with the state of your ground? A mate of mine who's a Rhynos fan was at your stadium(dump)last weekend for banger racing he couldn't believe that it's used for championship rugby!!

#215 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Have we not drifted far enough off topic already ?

Read the threads that were running at the time. 

When you've done that, if you still don't understand it, feel free to pm me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users