Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Absolutely dreadful

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RoughyedsMad

RoughyedsMad
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

What can I say?

Rarely have I seen such an inept and passionless performance! The first half was absolutely woeful and remiscient of York debacle. You seriously have to question the commitment of the players as it was absolutely dreadful. This was a massive game and a golden opportunity to finish second in the table. Did the players actually sweat blood and tears for the club in the first half? They played as though they couldn't care less and I for one felt totally cheated as spent a lot of money travelling up to the North East to watch a bunch of strangers with no heart or ambition. As CH said in Chronicle following York disaster and questioning is it really worth it? The answer has been rreaffirmed this afternoon and it is a resounding NO!

I know the players made a fight of it in the opening eexchanges of the second half but we had to play desperate catch up rugby with calculated risks every time we offloaded the ball. It was clear that there was a rresponse to an angry dressing room sshowdown at halftime. Why couldnt we have played with this level of intensity for the whole match? Then there would only have been one winner! However as soon as York went three scores clear ten minutes from the end the players again went into their shells and again played as though they couldn't care less. As Scott Naylor has said in the media as soon as we play decent opposition we can't cope with it and there is something wrong with us! Whatever it is that is wrong needs to be addressed urgently as we are going nowhere and appear to lack the mental resolve for the play offs that we do not have a cat in hells chance of succeeding in.

#2 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Well one good thing at least it has probably saved us from witnessing another loss in a final, can't see us winning away at York and Hunslet which is what would be required to make the final .

#3 Antisuperleague

Antisuperleague
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Could it be the end of ORLFC? The majority of the players now on yearly contracts will move on as will Naylor and Spanner so meaning CH will have to start all over again building yet another team. Sadly, the loyal 450 supporters or so  will also start finding better things to do rather than watching the same things unravel ie. the club going nowhere and continuing to play on a cabbage patch. One massive worry is to look around and there aren't any youngsters just older supporters hanging onto a dream remembering the good old matches and players.

The players assembled this season were capable of winning promotion, some of them are the best I've seen in the past few years the only thing missing was a Frank Foster type to guide the youner palyers and to take control when needed.

It is a real shame that a club like ours, with such a fantastic legacy, is in this aweful position and unless someone with money and a the will to wrestle the club from CH as I said early this can only be the end of ORLFC?

#4 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Did you play your strongest team today?, I know Gateshead are improving but I thought you would just steal it.

#5 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Would like to add that we played really well today played some great rugby and looked confident and defended really well, we are no mugs this season! And that showed today.

#6 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Would like to add that we played really well today played some great rugby and looked confident and defended really well, we are no mugs this season! And that showed today.

Sorry but it has nothing to do with being mugs or otherwise. It has to do with someone suddenly appearing on the scene who is prepared to inject money which most of us don't have. I have an odd feeling that Gateshead could pinch promotion but beware the league will dump you when and if it suits them.

#7 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

And since our takeover tell me how many players in our squad we have signed since the take over? We have been on end of some big scores the past 5 seasons now we win a few and you go on about someone putting money into us, were not from heartlands forgot that

#8 pjarmitage

pjarmitage
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Someone one who appears on the scene and injects money?I seem to remember when Oldham had one of those!

#9 andykenny

andykenny
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

If its about rugby Gateshead had the better kicking game and better offloading game.If putting money into a club is what it takes good luck to em.Hope Oldham gets that kind of luck one day.

#10 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

It's about consistency, or lack of it. Could be a million and one reasons why we dreadful. Not Gateshead's financial status. Usually we perform well till the grand final then bomb it. It's not over till it's over. And no matter what the doom mongers may say there's still a chance. Yes I know, the words of a lunatic!

#11 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

Gateshead players wanted it more! Unfortunately this great bunch of players have this problem of having seriously bad days. They don't take what they've done in training onto the pitch some weeks and then other weeks they are brilliant. It was always going to be a difficult game yesterday but most players just didn't turn up for a battle. So what now? Every game is going to be a battle but which Oldham team is going to turn up? We can beat all these teams in the playoffs if we play to our potential. Yes i know another lunatic! 

#12 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Look let's be honest. We have been spanked, not beaten, spanked by poor teams away from home. Even if we had picked up bonus points from our away losses, we'd still be comfortably in 2nd.
This can't always be about players efforts.
The coaching team should have learned lessons, but I'm not sure they have.
CH should have been as busy as Hunslet, York and Gateshead at getting new blood in to support the promotion push, but no real class has arrived.
The simple fact is that at home, on a narrow pitch, with a steep slope - our heavy forwards and aggressive defence are enough. But away from home on a flat track and a wide pitch we are exposed as tactically naive, statuesque in defence and have no answer to quick play of the ball or off loads. There is also the suspicion of a lack of fitness with a few players.
You also have to ask, are the players properly motivated? Many of them aren't 'ours', and do you think they are offered adequate bonuses for performance or promotion? So now we have to play hunslet away from whitebank. If we win it's York away from whitebank and if we win that, a final away from whitebank. And that's if we win and get the easy route! Anyone see us winning at least three away games on the trot - that would all be against teams that have already spanked us away from home this year?

Edited by HomeOfTheTubularBandage, 01 September 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#13 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think that HOTTB has it about right, certainly regards to other teams bringing in the right class of players, but that has been my gripe from day one. The current squad may be entertaining or whatever but they simply are not good enough except in patches. Without doubt they lack any form of consistency and much as I dislike saying it I think promotion is a distant dream. I get tired of reading about York, Hunslet, Gatehead etc signing decent experienced players that we should be signing but never do. OK we sign some good young players but when the business end of the season arrives we have that same squad up against bigger and more experienced sides and clubs with the drive to get them up a division. CH has no intention of putting up the funds to do what is needed and I ask again is Scott Naylor on a two year contract? As I see it if he is then looking at the teams coming down, and those staying down, he is in imminent danger of losing a chunk of his squad. If I were he and coming to the end of my contract I would be saying that I have done as much as I can for Oldham unless some funding is put in place, and if it isn't then I would be looking elsewhere for my next contract. Should that happen then we will be starting all over again. Of course he may be on a longer contract, I have no idea, but he still needs to be able to build a more experienced squad if the club have any ambition to gain promotion. Something that will be even more difficult in future years.

I apologise to any Gateshead fans who took offence at my earlier comments which were said in a moment of anger. Of course anyone would snap the hand off someone who came up with some cash and clearly I cannot blame Gateshead for that, and good luck to them. I do however think that it is a very sad state of affairs that a club with a history like Oldham and an amateur set up that is better than most is just left to stay in the doldrums while clubs that have, in some cases, reinvented themselves several times and are boosted at every turn in the name of expansion.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

thats what we need to do,reinvent ourselves....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#15 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

thats what we need to do,reinvent ourselves....

well it's £29m jackpot in tonight's euromillions. You never know!?

#16 AmigoTopping

AmigoTopping
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

well it's £29m jackpot in tonight's euromillions. You never know!?

That maybe just enough to pay off Chris!!

#17 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

That maybe just enough to pay off Chris!!

No I meant I could emigrate to the gold coast and watch some rl in decent surroundings. Somewhere warm that doesn't affect my dodgy knees. Or maybe invest in a new club in the U.S. Perhaps Oldham County in Texas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users