Photo
- - - - -

Where do we go from here....................?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Well, another season is drawing to a close, and we don't know if we'll be facing the Bulls or the Stags next year. We could soar like a rocket, or end up as a damp squib in the next few weeks. There are familiar faces leaving the club, and new heroes arriving. One thing is for sure, nothing ever stays the same in sport.

What I'd like to ask, is what do YOU want from your club.........?

By that, I mean what do you want, or what would you like to see happen over the next twelve months....?

On the field, there have been some terrific performances, and then the absolute shambles that was York away.

Consistancy is clearly a problem, why is that...?

If you were coach for a day, what would be your strongest team for the Grand Final ?

Dual-reg is still massively popular amongst most fans (surely not, I hear you say....), is it really all that....?

Off the field, we have had an encouraging year, and have gone from strength to strength financially. As Directors, we think we're doing a decent job with what we have. But as we are a supporter driven club, do YOU think we represent you fully.?

You are club Chairman for a day, what decisions would you make (knowing that you might get slaughtered on the forum.....)

The Phoenix Suite is a massive success, and is the envy of many other clubs. Does it float your boat, or is it a Titanic disaster......?

Even though we were relegated last season, the attendances are pretty much the same this year, even though we don't have the Fev's, Bulldogs, or Rams boosting the gates.

Are the "Stayaways" full of sh*t", or do they have a point...?

The South Leeds Stadium is always a big deal for away fans (even the Scandinavians), but as it's council run/owned we have very little on show to tell anyone that we actually play there, what would you like to see....?

Even though you are "die-hard" fans, and have turned up regularly to support your team, you all have your own matchday experiences. What would improve that for you ?

(Forget the free beer, but we might spring for the odd box of Seabrook's Canadian ham crisps Progman....)

Basically, it's your club, so if you want to move it forwards, we need your input (criticism is welcome, providing it is constructive...)

You may be thinking "What is this silly old b*astard on about....), but it's 8.00 Sunday night, and I'm sat on the computer with a glass of wine, just waiting for my dinner. This forum is on it's a*se, and needs to get some momentum again.

It's not about Slagging Barry Eaton or dual-reg, because we did that already, let's get some constructive/informative/witty banter back on here, or we will just end up like the terminally unfunny and deluded York fans......

What about it...........?

#2 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

Just a club that is run well win or lose realistically we are where we should be saying that the season has been a big let down really considering some of players we have but that's the way it goes.In a ideal world would love to have a u19s team only way we would be able to move forward on own without loan or DR players is that having local Hunslet lads playing for us but I think that is just a pipe dream on my part.I don't want to go back to the days where we couldn't afford to pay players on time or they had to use other teams training kit because we didn't provide it still embarrassing to this day is that seeing players interviewed in York training gear
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#3 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Think you should delete that last paragraph too end up sounding just like Mr Guilford
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#4 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Why are we deluded MM ? This was a thread about YOUR club & were you want to be but ended having a pop at us , you've done a decent job at SLS & long may you thrive , I know we have rivalry but on the whole it's a friendlier one nowadays

#5 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

MYSTIC MEG forgot to mention that Gateshead had just beaten Oldham, thus ensuring that if we win at South Wales on Sunday we will finish second in the league table, and whatever that will mean in the play offs.

#6 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

It means we will be at home to Oldham in round 1 of the playoffs to start with, rather than away. I think if we do win this, then lose at York in the second round, we will be at home again for the final play-off round too.

So the path to the Grand Final has suddenly become easier ... given Oldham's poor away form and notwithstanding Gateshead's late season form, the chances of a Hunset-York final have shortened considerably.

#7 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

The 1st thing I want is for Danny Grimshaw and Liam Hood to be fit for a possible Grand Final if we can get that far without them.

Posted Image

#8 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

First and foremost we want promotion this year. If we manage to stay up or not next season.

Consistancy is a problem , yes and that's with picking players out of position, and worse having our best players like Hood on the bench too long.

Duel reg has been goood in that we have got good players from Leeds like Hood ,Watson, Moore signed as our own players, which we never would have been able to.And we made a nice profit on selling Hood to Salford, not that I wanted to, but you can,t stop the lad in his hopefully good future.

We have not used Duel reg much anyway this season. I also been hearing next season they might be no duel reg for anyone, don't know if this is true, but we will suffer as any help is good for us , I mean its not like we have money to go throw around buying the likes of Watson Hood Moore etc.

The Pheonix suite is a success not a disaster so why the question on that one.

And just your last comment regarding York fans was not needed too.

Apart from that a very good post Mystic.

#9 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Apologies Barlby Knight, I wouldn't want to offend genuine fans of any club. I was referring to the rabble that turned up at Skolars, and pretty much embarrassed themselves. I love banter as much as the next guy, but I've never heard fans sing for another team before, or boo the opposition's head coach.....

#10 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

Less Viking hats and Rab C Nesbitt vests so we have room to stock the top quality ties in the shop
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#11 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hah, brilliant.....(I'll get me coat... :tongue: )

#12 GaryHall

GaryHall
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Apologies Barlby Knight, I wouldn't want to offend genuine fans of any club. I was referring to the rabble that turned up at Skolars, and pretty much embarrassed themselves. I love banter as much as the next guy, but I've never heard fans sing for another team before, or boo the opposition's head coach.....

I was at the Skolars v Hunslet game at no time did I hear anyone from York boo Barry Eaton, the only booing was for the Hunslet "fan" who walked kept walking in front of the stand putting up two fingers at the Knights and Crusader fans. Every one of the York fans who were at the Skolars game were genuine RL fans who have supported York home and away for decades.

#13 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

york fans love barry eaton he give em the league leaders shield

#14 BIG IAN

BIG IAN
  • Coach
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

Mystic Meg,

I too was at the game and as to what Gary said I TOTTALY BACK HIM UP.

Think you need to look a bit closer to home about fans slagging Barry off, theres no worse than your own. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

I know what I heard and saw pal. I was sat amongst you.....

Anyway, from what I hear about your new stadium fiasco, you might finish up ground-sharing with us, so you'll need to mind your p's & q's.......

#16 Hunslet Miner

Hunslet Miner
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Where do we go from here was the question
I first watched Hunslet at the old Greyhound stadium and have been a season ticket holder for longer than I care to remember. However the reality is that we are now a small community club effectively owned by the fans. The days when we could call on Gerry Mason or Grahame Liles to bank roll the club are over. Thus I am happy when we have a winning season and to occasionally move up to the higher division from time to time.
Over the season so far Hunslet have scored 148 trys of which the backs have scored 83, the forwards 48 and the dummy Half/hookers 17. Although we lost 5 games, we still have the best defence in the league by 118 points, the best points difference and the 2nd best attack [only 22 points behind York]. Yes we lost 3 times to York, but twice by only 2 points. Although fair play to York in the game on their turf, they gave us the only drubbing of the season.
For my part I can not understand the criticism of Barry Eaton. The home matches I have seen, we have played expansive rugby when the opportunity was there and, when the score was close, tried to keep the game tight. A far as the relationship with the Rhino's goes, in the age of "dual registration", Leeds are probably the best "big game" Rugby League club in Super League. Much as it pains me to say it, to get our players the benefit of their training expertise can only be good for Hunslet.
The play offs beckon. Clearly York must be favourites, but I still believe that with home advantage against any of the clubs below us, we can make the grand final and then on the day [if we get there] who knows. I remember that in 1999 Dewsbury finished top, but Hunslet won the grand final by 1 point. That was a day at Headingly that I will never forget!!!

#17 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

Modern demographics and culture unfortunately mean that Hunslet will never be a "top" club again. By "top" I mean battling with (and coming out on top against) the likes of Leeds, Wigan and St Helens. Kids today will be astounded to learn that we have beaten those three combined, almost 130 times in our history - but none since 1985.

I have often wondered if a zillionaire got involved at Hunslet, created a team of superstars, built us our own ground in the centre of Hunslet (whereever you consider that to be), and marketed it all to perfection, how many would turn up? 3,000? Maybe 4,000?

I think most supporters would accept that the most successful we can be is to be competitive at Championship level, bearing in mind our crowds are likely to remain in the realms of higher Championship 1 level. However the more the years pass, the more fickle the sporting public seems to get. And in this day and age I can well imagine how difficult it must be for most parents to get their kids to come to watch Hunslet, get them hooked and form the next generation of supporters, just like my dad did with me (many years ago!)

As far as the relationship with Leeds goes, it will be interesting to what happens to it if Dual Reg is abandoned, as seems likely, in the next year or two.

#18 poolhawk

poolhawk
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

In some ways I'm a out sider now, living in Hartlepool may be at best get to 5-6 home games a season, but still have stickers in the car, pennant a painting of the hunslet badge on the wall in the house, a love the club.

In regards to try team, I look at our squad, the players we have got and had in, duel reg etc, a really we should have done a lot, lot better has York really got such a better team then us? That they walked away with the league title, so in regards to the team been some outstanding performances, but at times worrying as we'll.

We really should be looking to go up, yeah we may struggle, but financially we need it, a missing out on our own magic weekend in Blackpool, which would be a great opportunity for the club to promote the club, is something we really can't afford to miss out on.

The over all running of the club, I can't fault, from we're I see from afar, we seed to be we'll run, a things are done very we'll a financially we look like we are doing things the right way.

Yeah be great if we could find some multi millionaire sugar daddy whom would bank roll the club a at least get us doing we'll in the championship, but unless one of us win the euro lottery I do by think it's going to happen.

Duel reg, never been a fan, a I'm all for scrapping it, let's see how some of the teams do with out having half there teams full of super league players, I get feeling we may see a more level playing field.

The bar, I don't know many of you, a few say hi, of course I don't get to many home games, do none of you have a clue who i'am. Still the atmosphere in there is brilliant, a you are made to feel so welcome, I all ways have a pint, a the kids have a drink in there before the game, I say now nothing wrong in there if you ask me.

In regards to kids, agree not easy, my girls are now at that age we're it's not important to go any more, 17, 14, 12 high school has changed them a what they like to do, my son 9, still loves rugby, a hunslet, I'll think up be ok with him a following on the support on the future. I know they still love the club, a hate rhinos with a passion, so much so my 14 year old daughter refused to go on a visit to there grounds, I did some thing right there then. The problem is getting the kids to games when I'm not there, bus service shocking, kids a that long walk to dewsbury road, a even further to catch 86, does not appeal to them.

Here is a idea, do we still have a mini bus, any one at the club thought, do a pre-book pick up before the game, for the elderly a like my kids, a take them home after, just a idea.

As I say I'm now outsider, so I can only say what I think I see, good news for me, my company are relocating, by next summer I should be back in Leeds, can't wait be able to go to all the home games again

#19 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

In some ways I'm a out sider now, living in Hartlepool may be at best get to 5-6 home games a season, but still have stickers in the car, pennant a painting of the hunslet badge on the wall in the house, a love the club.

In regards to try team, I look at our squad, the players we have got and had in, duel reg etc, a really we should have done a lot, lot better has York really got such a better team then us? That they walked away with the league title, so in regards to the team been some outstanding performances, but at times worrying as we'll.

We really should be looking to go up, yeah we may struggle, but financially we need it, a missing out on our own magic weekend in Blackpool, which would be a great opportunity for the club to promote the club, is something we really can't afford to miss out on.

The over all running of the club, I can't fault, from we're I see from afar, we seed to be we'll run, a things are done very we'll a financially we look like we are doing things the right way.

Yeah be great if we could find some multi millionaire sugar daddy whom would bank roll the club a at least get us doing we'll in the championship, but unless one of us win the euro lottery I do by think it's going to happen.

Duel reg, never been a fan, a I'm all for scrapping it, let's see how some of the teams do with out having half there teams full of super league players, I get feeling we may see a more level playing field.

The bar, I don't know many of you, a few say hi, of course I don't get to many home games, do none of you have a clue who i'am. Still the atmosphere in there is brilliant, a you are made to feel so welcome, I all ways have a pint, a the kids have a drink in there before the game, I say now nothing wrong in there if you ask me.

In regards to kids, agree not easy, my girls are now at that age we're it's not important to go any more, 17, 14, 12 high school has changed them a what they like to do, my son 9, still loves rugby, a hunslet, I'll think up be ok with him a following on the support on the future. I know they still love the club, a hate rhinos with a passion, so much so my 14 year old daughter refused to go on a visit to there grounds, I did some thing right there then. The problem is getting the kids to games when I'm not there, bus service shocking, kids a that long walk to dewsbury road, a even further to catch 86, does not appeal to them.

Here is a idea, do we still have a mini bus, any one at the club thought, do a pre-book pick up before the game, for the elderly a like my kids, a take them home after, just a idea.

As I say I'm now outsider, so I can only say what I think I see, good news for me, my company are relocating, by next summer I should be back in Leeds, can't wait be able to go to all the home games again

Is your 'a' key stuck?

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#20 poolhawk

poolhawk
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Sorry was at work used iphone, at 6.45, think I was still half a sleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users