Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aston & Woods in League Express

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

Nice to see the above trying to be judge, jury and executioner in League Express today.

Aston it has nothing to do with your club. Mind your own business and focus on keeping your powder dry. Woods if your club hadn't broken the rules we would have been relegated. I bet that smarts.

I like Whitehaven as a club but as a result of Woods to paraphrase Kevin Keegan "i would love it, love it.." If we sent you down.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#2 Dolmio Babcock

Dolmio Babcock
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

In both coaches defence, I agree with their grievance to a certain degree, the RFL have shown what a shower of s***e they are again, and a vote of no confidence call from Aston and Woods is correct regardless of their gripe at our club or other clubs.

Edited by Dolmio Babcock, 01 September 2014 - 02:26 PM.

Serving Pasta across the Shannon Matthews County.

#3 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Sorry for disobeying you fuehrer. Forgot to consult the party line.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#4 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have stated previously on this forum that I think the RFL should have a vote of no confidence following this and a whole myriad of other poor decisions.

They are in charge of £millions by way of budget for our game and have the real effect of playing with clubs finances when they don't apply the rules correctly or administer the game in the correct manner.

The difference in prize money and central money is now quite wide and I know of one club that could very seriously be affected by not winning the desired prize money due to points being reimbursed. The other side of the coin is the much lesser money available in Championship one when the final team is decided.

I applaud Messers Aston and Woods for speaking out and I would imagine there are a lot of people below Super League level who agree.

The point is 'How do we start the process of removing this current regime??'

It is also a pity that some Batley fans are revelling in the RFL recent decision.

#5 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

I applaud Messers Aston and Woods for speaking out and I would imagine there are a lot of people below Super League level who agree.

I think more people would have applauded Dave Woods had he spoken out when his own team committed exactly the same offence. His concern is nothing more than self preservation rather than for the good of the game. I don't blame him for that, I imagine I would do the same to protect my team/club, however I recognise it as such.

#6 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

I think more people would have applauded Dave Woods had he spoken out when his own team committed exactly the same offence. His concern is nothing more than self preservation rather than for the good of the game. I don't blame him for that, I imagine I would do the same to protect my team/club, however I recognise it as such.

The rule was implemented at the start of THIS season to prevent the same things happening again??

Do the RFL never learn ??

That is precisely why they should be replaced??

#7 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

The rule was implemented at the start of THIS season to prevent the same things happening again??

Do the RFL never learn ??

That is precisely why they should be replaced??

The RFL certainly come across very badly in the whole debacle. And it has taken the attention away from matters on the field, which is never a good thing. 

#8 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

who is too blame?

Going back to 2013 up to 5 clubs are said to have breached DR regs in not only playing non-eligible players after the signing deadline , but also some playing DR players in the NR cup(who knew you couldn't as it seems most clubs didn't). If we are to believe the RFL statement when they gave the points back on thursday , it indicates they were not aware of these breach's until presented as evidence by Batley as part of their defence .They either were aware of them last season and did nothing or were not ,which ever it is the blame for this one is  with the RFL and shows them up at best incompetent or at worst just and absolute  bloody shambles that they do even know whats going on in their own game.
(both haven and town along with york and 2 other clubs are being named as breaching both regs with NR cup and after deadline Non-eligible players in 2013)

So we move on to 2014, the regs for DR players after the deadline werebeefed upped and very clear and were discussed openly on numerous forums well before the signing deadline, in fact the regs were being discussed as far back as when sammuet played for FEV on DR .Batley's initial defence they were not were aware of the reg's is simply not true, Last week there was a link on the Dews site to a press release from Dew's and Batley that was suppose to go out when all this came to light, but when Dews were cleared the release was held back as it may have prejudiced Batley's case, in it its clear Batley were aware of the regs.So Blame for playing the player falls with Batley no one else.

The biggest mistake in all this though is the action taken by the RFL when Batley and Donny were found Guilty. As well as a punishment for the breach of the regs, any points gained in those games should also have been removed, no team should gain league position by cheating.Those who say the result is irrelevant are wrong.In 2010 Fax beat Swinton in the CC playing an non eligible player and as a result were kicked out of the CC, if they had been beat what would the punishment have been a fine? banned from the CC the following year ?, the result influnced the punishment and so it should.
If the RFL had removed the points from the game and then deducted 3 points from the breach of the reg's, then on appeal they could have easily reinstated Batleys 3 points for the breach of regs, but still kept the removal of any points gained from gain so no league advantage had been gained.As it is we now have a team who KNOWINGLY cheated to gain advantage and as a result have not only not been punished, but have gained league positions because of it.The Blame for this is with the RFL and Batley.

If the shoe was on the other foot Batley fans and the club would have the very same opinion as woods and ashton,

#9 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

WONT HAPPEN AGAIN... :download:  am told the guys who should a done the checking  at rfl headquarters got sack too. :pickeat:

#10 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

scrap DR then it cant happen again, but then thats far too simple

#11 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

who is too blame?

Going back to 2013 up to 5 clubs are said to have breached DR regs.......

I think your views are perfectly clear and further restating them, although maybe cathartic to you, seems a little futile on this particular forum.

#12 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

who is too blame?

Going back to 2013 up to 5 clubs are said to have breached DR regs in not only playing non-eligible players after the signing deadline , but also some playing DR players in the NR cup(who knew you couldn't as it seems most clubs didn't). If we are to believe the RFL statement when they gave the points back on thursday , it indicates they were not aware of these breach's until presented as evidence by Batley as part of their defence .They either were aware of them last season and did nothing or were not ,which ever it is the blame for this one is  with the RFL and shows them up at best incompetent or at worst just and absolute  bloody shambles that they do even know whats going on in their own game.
(both haven and town along with york and 2 other clubs are being named as breaching both regs with NR cup and after deadline Non-eligible players in 2013)

So we move on to 2014, the regs for DR players after the deadline werebeefed upped and very clear and were discussed openly on numerous forums well before the signing deadline, in fact the regs were being discussed as far back as when sammuet played for FEV on DR .Batley's initial defence they were not were aware of the reg's is simply not true, Last week there was a link on the Dews site to a press release from Dew's and Batley that was suppose to go out when all this came to light, but when Dews were cleared the release was held back as it may have prejudiced Batley's case, in it its clear Batley were aware of the regs.So Blame for playing the player falls with Batley no one else.

The biggest mistake in all this though is the action taken by the RFL when Batley and Donny were found Guilty. As well as a punishment for the breach of the regs, any points gained in those games should also have been removed, no team should gain league position by cheating.Those who say the result is irrelevant are wrong.In 2010 Fax beat Swinton in the CC playing an non eligible player and as a result were kicked out of the CC, if they had been beat what would the punishment have been a fine? banned from the CC the following year ?, the result influnced the punishment and so it should.
If the RFL had removed the points from the game and then deducted 3 points from the breach of the reg's, then on appeal they could have easily reinstated Batleys 3 points for the breach of regs, but still kept the removal of any points gained from gain so no league advantage had been gained.As it is we now have a team who KNOWINGLY cheated to gain advantage and as a result have not only not been punished, but have gained league positions because of it.The Blame for this is with the RFL and Batley.

If the shoe was on the other foot Batley fans and the club would have the very same opinion as woods and ashton,

I would suggest you need to be very careful with your accusations, as this particular one might attract some attention.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

As far as Aston is concerned, and I have no more liking for him than anyone else on here, he does have a point as the loss of two points by Sheffiield might make a significant difference to their income next year.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

I would suggest you need to be very careful with your accusations, as this particular one might attract some attention.

was on dews site last week link and everything, and clear from the initial held back press release that batley knew the DR regs prior to game, if its still there go and have a read

#15 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Do you honestly believe that the club would knowingly do this and risk their place in this division on one player? I don't think so.

And why don't you log back in as FishandChips ?

Edited by M Hopkins, 01 September 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#16 phildog

phildog
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Again, whilst not being a fan of whinger Aston, and being a Batley lad, I have mixed feelings about this whole affair. Because somebody else broke the same rule a year ago and got away with it shouldn't automatically mean that someone else should get away with it. It sets a precedent for any future scoundrel to use the same excuse, or in fact openly flout the rule citing the fact that Batley and Doncaster got away with it so why can't I? Whilst being delighted that we got our points back, I'm not 100% sure that we should have. I'm more concerned with the fact that a) we didn't know the rule and B) that someone at RFL HQ doesn't keep their eye on these things and flag up to clubs when problems are likely to occur. Woods shouldn't worry anyway, as I think Whitehaven are safe due to the fact that they play Swinton last, a safe bet in my opinion.

#17 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

who is too blame?

Please can you provide evidence that Batley were aware of the regulations and knowingly cheated? 

I picked up a warning point for questioning the integrity of an official, which was even backed up by video evidence of the Sheffield game at home last year, so as a friendly word of advice, I would change your post mate or you could find those accusations could result in the same or maybe far worse and seen as libellous which could have very serious consequences for you.

FWIW, I very much doubt you will go down, and you will be back on here telling us all how much you are pleased that justice has been done after next weeks results.

I agree with LD on this I was hoping you would survive the drop, but due to the conduct of your coach and indeed some of your fans, my feelings have begun to change about your club, and to be honest although there are no winners in this sad episode, I'm starting to feel that I would actually like to see you take the fall, just to shut Wood and some of you moaners up. However that seems a little harsh on the great set of Whitehaven fans I have come to know over the years.

You really do not seem to take in to account the upheaval all this must have had over the last few weeks including the game at your place. We could argue that the upheaval has caused such distress in the camp that we want to replay the Dewsbury and Whitehaven matches now that the appeal has proven that the original decision was incorrect. The facts of the matter are though with or without an ineligible player we would have beaten Sheffield on the day, like we were not good enough to beat Whitehaven and Dewsbury on the day. So let it go eh?  

Edited by DOGFATHER, 01 September 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#18 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

Just to let you know I flicked through this thread in about 6 seconds.
The aggrieved" save your time we arent interested.
The points were given back deal with it.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#19 AlmacUTE

AlmacUTE
  • Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

The RFL have proven once again that they are unable to apply their own rules. I hope Dual Registration gets scrapped before next season as it has been abused by both Super League and Championship teams. When Doncaster win on Sunday and Whitehaven beat Swinton, justice will have been served 

#20 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

The RFL have proven once again that they are unable to apply their own rules. I hope Dual Registration gets scrapped before next season as it has been abused by both Super League and Championship teams. When Doncaster win on Sunday and Whitehaven beat Swinton, justice will have been served 

Not necessarily, if we lose and pick up a BP and Keighley don't, we are likely to stay up on points difference, but if it makes you feel better carry on. :pickeat: