TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield Quits International Rugby (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

http://www.therhinos.../news/23734.php
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Great player in his day but well past his best.

He is a master general of Leeds and probably has the best organisational game out of any English player but you can't have a player without a running and passing game at international level, unfortunately we don't have a coach capable of recognising that. He was always going to be picked with McNamara in charge despite players out performing him at club level so it was always going to be his decision to call it a day. I still think he has 2-3 years at the very top of SL though as I don't think Leeds will find someone in the next quarter of a century capable of replacing his leadership of the side. He's got Leeds coach written all over him in the next few years.

The next step is obviously who to replace him. I'd go Widdop at 6 and Sneyd at 7. Both have complete games and are masters of unlocking defences with excellent passing games. They are both young and will be in their prime come 2017 so the time to start building is now.

#3 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

If only MacNamara hadn't burned Brough

Widdop & someone to compliment him is the plan then

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Best for both player and country. Does this mean we'll have actual halfbacks playing in the halves or will mcbanana have to play o'loughlin at standoff?

#5 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Great news for England.

#6 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Excellent. Four years too late, but better than nothing.
People called Romans they go the house

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

He's forced McNamara's hand. Interesting to see who gets the first chance at the position.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

neither brough nor sneyd are fit to lace Sinfields boots. Its a little depressing that behind him there is a never was in Brough and a never will be in Sneyd.

Big step down to either of those. 

Need Sutcliffe, Powell or Hampshire (if he ends up there) to really kick on. Our only other hope is Ratchford takes a step up or we end up with having to shift Tomkins around. 

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

Typical Leeds.

Kevin Sinfield quits before we can find him a Welsh grandparent.

<_< ;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

neither brough nor sneyd are fit to lace Sinfields boots. Its a little depressing that behind him there is a never was in Brough and a never will be in Sneyd.

Big step down to either of those. 

Need Sutcliffe, Powell or Hampshire (if he ends up there) to really kick on. Our only other hope is Ratchford takes a step up or we end up with having to shift Tomkins around. 

Ratchford will never make a decent half, we may as well forget about him.

I don't really understand the issues with Sinfield. I don't think he has ever let his country down, and he plays halfback every week for one of the best teams in the comp.

The way people go on you'd think he was a dire prop from Halifax being played at Scrum half for his country.

#11 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

Brough would have made that bloody tackle though

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Ratchford will never make a decent half, we may as well forget about him.

I don't really understand the issues with Sinfield. I don't think he has ever let his country down, and he plays halfback every week for one of the best teams in the comp.

The way people go on you'd think he was a dire prop from Halifax being played at Scrum half for his country.

Some folk are a bit obsessed with doing Sinfield down for any real or imagined fault. I'm sure he's heartbroken...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Widdop & Hodkinson FTW!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#14 Total Rugby League

Total Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

<p>Leeds Rhinos and England captain Kevin Sinfield MBE has announced his retirement from international Rugby League with immediate effect.</p>
<p>The Oldham-born international has been capped 26 times for England dating back to his debut in 2000. He received a further 14 caps for Great Britain during that period.  Sinfield has appeared in the last three World Cups and has scored 176 points for England.</p>
<p>Commenting on his decision to retire from international rugby ahead of this season’s Four Nations in Australia and New Zealand, the 33-year-old said, “This is a decision I have taken a great deal of time over and it has been the toughest of my professional career. I have always loved playing for my country, whether for England or Great Britain, and it has been a privilege and honour to lead my country for the last two seasons. What has made the process easier is the knowledge that the environment Steve McNamara has created will continue the progress we have made in the last few seasons.</p>
<p>“I would like to thank Steve, not only for choosing me to captain England, but also for the support and guidance he has given me over the last few years. I would like to thank my family who have always supported me throughout my international career and all the England and Great Britain coaches I have worked under and of course my England and Great Britain team mates.</p>
<p>“The World Cup last year was a major step forward for the England team and the support we received reached a new level. I would like to thank the England and Great Britain fans who have always given me their support and I am sure more successful times are not far away.</p>
<p>“Following the World Cup, I was keen to continue however I want to be able to perform at the highest possible level whenever I take the field. I believe that by taking this decision, it will enable me to do that for the Rhinos for the remainder of my career.  I will cherish my memories of international rugby, they have helped shape me into the player I am today and it has always been special to pull on the England or Great Britain shirt. Steve and the team have a great opportunity this year in Australia and New Zealand and I wish them all the very best for the Four Nations.”</p>
<p>England coach Steve McNamara said: “Kevin is the ultimate Rugby League professional and it has been a privilege to work with him in the last few years, when his attitude, application and enthusiasm have rubbed off on everybody.   His contribution and commitment to the England programme has been exemplary.</p>
<p>“I know that he has not taken this decision lightly and having spoken to him at length in the last few days I fully understand his reasons for calling time on his international career.</p>
<p>“Kevin’s achievements with Leeds Rhinos are well documented and this decision will allow him to focus fully on extending his record as the club’s most successful captain.”</p>
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.totalrl.c...ternational-rl/">Kevin Sinfield retires from international RL</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.totalrl.com">Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League</a>.</p>

View the full article on TotalRL.com

#15 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Is a good player, he was never the problem it was the coach who had the blinkered approach. Typical of fans to blame a player for wanting to represent his country. He has taken a decision at the right time and deserves credit for that, the coach would not have changed his selection policy if this had not been instigated by Sinfield.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

There are times when you just have to say thank you for your service.It would appear some don't have the decency to do that.To be expected.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

There are times when you just have to say thank you for your service.It would appear some don't have the decency to do that.To be expected.

I'm not a Kevin sinfield playing in the halves for England fan but I don't blame him I blame McNamara for playing him there, what's he going to do turn down playing for his country because he's not an international halfback and playing out of position? The criticism should be laid at mcnamara's feet and not sinfield.

#18 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Agreed, Kevin Sinfield is a bit like Andy Farrell was in that he is an outstanding leader and player for his Club in Super League and another modern era player who due to the change in seasons was never able to test himself in the NRL during the northern hemisphere off season.

It could be argued that Kevin was found lacking at international level against NRL standard players but he is certainly not alone in that respect. He never gave less than 100% when wearing an England / Great Britain shirt and really that is all as a fan you can ask for. 

His retirement from the International stage is a dignified exit as befits a model professional on and off the field

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'm not a Kevin sinfield playing in the halves for England fan but I don't blame him I blame McNamara for playing him there, what's he going to do turn down playing for his country because he's not an international halfback and playing out of position? The criticism should be laid at mcnamara's feet and not sinfield.

Unfortunately,some can't use that type of logic.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the service and the effort which you've put in over the years Kevin!

I'm not quite sure that this is the good news that some people seem to think it is. When I look at the list of potential replacements I prefer Sinfield to most of them, and nobody jumps out as a particularly substantial improvement. I think he's made the right decision for himself though. Not a spring chicken anymore and this should allow him to prolong his club career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users