Foul language in the stands - dealing with any issues

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Monkbar

Monkbar
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

I brought my missus to her first match of the season (used to be a season ticket holder) and she wont be coming again and doesn't want me to bring our 5 year old any more either. Why? There is one particular Dewsbury fan who has a mouth filthier than a docker who insists on shouting f this and f that at the top of his voice whenever he doesn't agree with a decision. Really no need at all. Rugby league is a family game. Not in the South Stand it isn't.

Edited by Tom Coates, 02 September 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#2 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Have you considered approaching the guy and explaining you have a young one with you? or speaking to a steward? As a club we don't want to be losing potential supporters especially when it sounds like it's just one guy ruining you're families experience. The guy can quite easily be warned about his future conduct if you tell the stewards??

Edited by christheram, 01 September 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#3 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Double post

Edited by christheram, 01 September 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#4 XIII Ram

XIII Ram
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

Interesting to read monkbar's post on abusive language. I had a similar experience taking a friend to watch from the South Stand. There is a small group of Rams supporters, but one person in particular that spend the whole game screaming vile abuse at the referee and linesman. I thought at the time that nobody else appeared bothered, but clearly people are. Its unrealistic however to expect individuals to spoil their enjoyment of the game further by getting into an argument with aggressive people. All people swear, including myself - but the really bad abuse clearly does impact on the image of the club and its ability to attract and keep new support. I now watch from the seats, but my friend hasn't been back.

#5 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

I'll pass these comments on to the club.

#6 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Maybe a good time to re introduce the rugby league is a family sport message before each half again? Just an idea tom. I don't believe it's a huge issue and can be dealt with by the person responsibe getting a warning off stewards and club about his further conduct. We ain't football where I can assure you it is a lot worse at places like eland road

Edited by christheram, 02 September 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#7 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

There's a an announcement before every game about behaviour. Unless the bloke is deaf, he will have heard it dozens of times.

#8 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

I don't think we played the RFL message on Sunday.

I'm dubious about how effective it is, but if you guys think it works then we can reintroduce it.

Might just be a case of getting the stewards to monitor the language a little closer.

#9 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Theres no need to play any message.Everybody knows that swearing in a public place is not permitted.Any foul or abusive language should be reported to a steward Trouble is you dont seem to have the stewards on the front anymore since the rails were improved.Need them to be in view at the front.A visual sight sometimes keeps people in check..

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

It's also up to the fans around to remind such individuals that such language is unacceptable. This certainly happens in the part of the SS where I stand if anyone starts to get too carried away.

(On the other hand if it is 200 foul-mouthed Widnes fans then a gentle word doesn't seem to have any effect!)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Interesting to read monkbar's post on abusive language. I had a similar experience taking a friend to watch from the South Stand. There is a small group of Rams supporters, but one person in particular that spend the whole game screaming vile abuse at the referee and linesman. I thought at the time that nobody else appeared bothered, but clearly people are. Its unrealistic however to expect individuals to spoil their enjoyment of the game further by getting into an argument with aggressive people. All people swear, including myself - but the really bad abuse clearly does impact on the image of the club and its ability to attract and keep new support. I now watch from the seats, but my friend hasn't been back.

Watched the last five minutes from the south stand, and I'm not sure you would want to confront the individual concerned. I do believe the stewards become selectively deaf when faced with such behavior (sometimes there is abuse in the posh stand) - stand in a hatched area however and you are in big trouble.

#12 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

It seems everyone knows the one person who it is, so why not point him out to the stewards the next home match who then must deal with it? It would seem unfair for a family of supporters to be put off coming to matches because of one over the top foul mouthed fan. The fan should be warned about his future conduct and if it continues be issued a ban from the stadium. Hope monkbars missus and his family do come back in future because as a club we need as many supporters as possible, especially when it sounds like it's 1 individual who is ruining it for them, then it would be dissapointing

Edited by christheram, 02 September 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#13 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I would be the first to hold my hand up and admit to the occasional flipping heck..or worse in the heat of battle as emotions are running high in a charged game
Were human after all and slips do happen after all

If it me that swore and upset anybody I apologise

#14 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

I don't think it's you coolie, but I do agree we do all swear in the heat of the moment. Especially with some of the refs in this league. I just don't want us losing fans over something that can clearly be resolved

#15 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

I don't think it's you coolie, but I do agree we do all swear in the heat of the moment. Especially with some of the refs in this league. I just don't want us losing fans over something that can clearly be resolved

I don't think it was me
But it shows that as fans we don't want it to spoil anybody enjoyment of a game or put off any fans for coming to the game

As fans were all approachable
And would accept gracefully any "tone it down lad" if it was pointed in our direction.

#16 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

To Monkbar, XIII Ram and anyone else who's had issues with supporters using foul language on match days,

I've had the following correspondence from the club:

If supporters are prepared to point the individual out to a steward - discretely and anonymously - before the next home game and ask the steward to report it to his supervisor then we will take action straight away.

Larger groups are difficult to deal with, and that becomes more of an issue, but if one person is spoiling it for the rest then it is important that we nip it in the bud.

Foul and abusive language has no place at our club or in our stadium.

Edited by Tom Coates, 02 September 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#17 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

If you'd like any more info or want to take any further action then please send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction.

#18 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Just watched the highlights it would seem that it would have been hard to report it to a steward and nobodies having a go at the stewards.The reason they should be in high profile positions i.e  at the front,is that firstly people know where they are in case of an emergency or to report an incident like what happened on Sunday...Secondly due to their presence it acts on a calming affect should anybody get carried away and forget that its a family game.Its a shame the person didnt report i know at most football grounds its a friendly warning a sterner one and then its time to go.

#19 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

If you'd like any more info or want to take any further action then please send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction.

Tom

It might be an idea for the club to speak to whoever manages the stewards and to remind them to take action on whoever is being abusive and not to turn a blind eye or ear. After all that is why they are here and being paid for it too.

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

Tom

It might be an idea for the club to speak to whoever manages the stewards and to remind them to take action on whoever is being abusive and not to turn a blind eye or ear. After all that is why they are here and being paid for it too.

Whatever club you support at whichever ground , I think that's a salient point . We've all seen stewards who look like they're just wanting an easy life without the hassle , I certainly have up here , and who turn a blind eye at times to more burdensome parts of their responsibilities . That's not generalising , it's just something that is seen , and the proactive and responsive point you make does need reinforcing.

Edited by DavidM, 02 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users