Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Red Devils sign Groat and Menzies

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Total Rugby League

Total Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash has confirmed via Twitter the club have signed two more forwards for next year – Matt Groat and Luke Menzies.

Groat is an Australian forward who has played for Wests Tigers in the past – and is currently at St George. He has played for Australia’s Schoolboys side in the past, and was in the NSW U20′s Origin team in 2012.

Menzies is currently at Swinton Lions, having previously played for the likes of Hunslet Hawks. Koukash tweeted this afternoon:

“Delighted to announce the signing of 2 young forwards, Matt Groat and Luke Menzies for 2015.”

Salford have also announced that Harrison Hansen will be their captain for 2015, whilst Adrian Morley will share two roles – General Manager and player.

The post Salford Red Devils sign Groat and Menzies appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

#2 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

also this.

http://www.sportingl...ford-red-devils

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Quota? what Quota?

Could be interesting who goes at the end of the season, especially in light of the rant the Doc had on twitter.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

That means that a Groat will be welcome in shops in Lancashire. Hasn't been that way for about ... oh, I don't know ... at least ten years or so.

;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

He has also cancelled the POTY awards. That could be a mistake when trying to attract players in the future.

#6 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Quota? what Quota?

Could be interesting who goes at the end of the season, especially in light of the rant the Doc had on twitter.

mmm interesting... I note Adrian Morley will share two roles – General Manager and player.  I guess find some more shared roles for players and effectively reduce player salary "cap" total.

or am I wrong in that the RFL would not allow such.... errrr  rigging..

#7 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Groat is a surprising singing.

Showed plenty of promise in the U20's and was considered the next big thing for the Tigers with team mate Aaron Woods. While Woods went on to be a first team regular and has represented NSW, Groat suffered a serious leg injury and disappeared off the radar.

He signed for the Dragons for 2014 but has not made a first team appearance for them (or for the Tigers in 2013).

It seems a bit of a gamble to bring such a low key player over from Australia, or does he hold a European passport?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#8 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

He has also cancelled the POTY awards. That could be a mistake when trying to attract players in the future.

Pram, Dummy, and spitting comes to mind!

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

That means that a Groat will be welcome in shops in Lancashire. Hasn't been that way for about ... oh, I don't know ... at least ten years or so.
;) :tongue:

Metal coins?Has metal reached Lancashire yet?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

Groat is a surprising singing.

Showed plenty of promise in the U20's and was considered the next big thing for the Tigers with team mate Aaron Woods. While Woods went on to be a first team regular and has represented NSW, Groat suffered a serious leg injury and disappeared off the radar.

He signed for the Dragons for 2014 but has not made a first team appearance for them (or for the Tigers in 2013).

It seems a bit of a gamble to bring such a low key player over from Australia, or does he hold a European passport?

He got good reviews in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' too. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

This guy?

https://twitter.com/...4490:image.jpg]

Attached Files

Edited by Pottsy, 02 September 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#12 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

He got good reviews in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' too. :P

Thanks for making me laugh on a really crappy day :-)

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

I just thought I'd have a look at this thread to see if it was Steve Menzies...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

I was thinking it was Menzies Campbell brought in to handle the Docs PR !
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#15 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Bl**dy iPhone!

Edited by Roy Boy, 03 September 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

luke menzies had an unsuccessful trial with widnes this year, nothing special and looked like another niel baines

Edited by Viking Warrior, 03 September 2014 - 04:58 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

ming the merciless rides again......................................Flash_gordon_movie_poster.jpg

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg