TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Koukash update?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Back in February the Koukash fellow up at Salford was telling us how he was after some top RU stars to improve his squad. I was just reading that Salford now have pretty much no chance of making the play offs in SL so does anyone know who he is planning on signing from RU to follow through with his grand claim?

Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash will hit back at rugby union following Sam Burgess’ cross code switch by looking to sign top union stars in the coming months.

Koukash has gone on the offensive claiming that if the current Salford squad need strengthening, he will make a move for British Lions players after the Six Nations Championship is over.

http://www.mancheste...-marwan-6728927

The only recent stories I can find is Koukash saying how badly he has been let down by his team with their recent performance and how he wants to buy an NRL club next.

#2 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

I will humour you, the timeline in the list of what he wants to do need to be considered, the proposal to buy RU players was a ploy to break the salary cap, the plans changed when Harris was appointed and he failed to get backing for the cap proposals. The NRL club was talked about and although he has the money, the ease that he bought Salford is not going to work in the NRL with a cash rich competition.

He has plenty of money/enthusiasm/drive/ideas but he would be better off working at reducing Sale Sharks grip in the stadium so he can promote the local club in the local stadium.

The performances have improved (before Wakefield) and with the recruits for next season they will get better, he had unreal hopes on what his squad was capable of but Harris will move them in the right direction and also advise him on who to recruit.

#3 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Back in February the Koukash fellow up at Salford was telling us how he was after some top RU stars to improve his squad. I was just reading that Salford now have pretty much no chance of making the play offs in SL so does anyone know who he is planning on signing from RU to follow through with his grand claim?

The only recent stories I can find is Koukash saying how badly he has been let down by his team with their recent performance and how he wants to buy an NRL club next.

It obviously appears that he couldn't actually find anyone in union that would / could improve his squad ;)

Anyway, come on TT, leave the good doctor alone.  I remember you got very upset when he made that announcement,  No point in upsetting yourself all over again :P

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

Maybe he realised that there are no Union players who can play rugby? He must have decided that publicity itself wasn't enough, and wanted them to actually be able to play?

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Ticketing and access are ongoing problems at the AJ Bell. Koukash has bought some RU lads, but they are more use as stewards in the car park.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ticketing and access are ongoing problems at the AJ Bell. Koukash has bought some RU lads, but they are more use as stewards in the car park.

I heard that he has purchased one of the Sale props for his groundsman to use as a roller!

#7 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Koukash will sign anyone who is good enough for Salford RL. Just at this point there are no union players that are, and like Kevin Locke they are signed from the worlds top rugby competition.

#8 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Maybe he realised that there are no Union players who can play rugby? He must have decided that publicity itself wasn't enough, and wanted them to actually be able to play?

Gareth Thomas went straight into a SL side and played international league after retiring from union but maybe not a side as packed with top flight players as Salford who have dominated SL with minimal effort.....oh wait, no they haven't.

At the moment it just comes across as blustering and noise from Koukash. If he is going to go running to the press making all sorts of grand claims he is going to need to back them up or his credibility is just going to drop even further.

Actually BOD has retired recently and might be interest in a run out for a SL side. Koukash should give him a call.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

Gareth Thomas used to practice unnatural things.

Then he saw the light, gave up his sordid RU habit and joined RL.

#10 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Gareth Thomas went straight into a SL side and played international league after retiring from union but maybe not a side as packed with top flight players as Salford who have dominated SL with minimal effort.....oh wait, no they haven't.

At the moment it just comes across as blustering and noise from Koukash. If he is going to go running to the press making all sorts of grand claims he is going to need to back them up or his credibility is just going to drop even further.

Actually BOD has retired recently and might be interest in a run out for a SL side. Koukash should give him a call.

Yes, just where you left off in January when you got so upset about Koukash last time.  Let it go, he's only one man.  Union has lots of sugar daddies, just be grateful for that.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Gareth Thomas turned down a bigger financial offer with a RU club because he fancied having a go at RL before he got too old. (seriously)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

Gareth Thomas on playing for the Crusaders; "I recently made 17 carries in one game, I felt it the next morning because as a wing in RU you make 17 carries a season. But I love it".

" I've never trained so much in my life".

"And because the training is tougher than in Union I spend a lot of my time in the pool or eating more food trying to put energy back in me".

Brian Noble on Gareth Thomas (British RU Lion, Welsh RU International) ; " He wants to carry the ball a lot but we are going to have to teach him how to do it".

Gareth Thomas on RL; "in union there is a lot of kicking and set plays going on which seem to take ages to play. Whereas in league if you shut down for a few seconds the players are so talented in recognising you are up or out of the line they put the ball up into the air, into a gap and score. It's 80 minutes of working whereas in Union you can rest and have a look into the crowd  a lot of the time".

#13 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Gareth Thomas on RL; "in union there is a lot of kicking and set plays going on which seem to take ages to play. Whereas in league if you shut down for a few seconds the players are so talented in recognising you are up or out of the line they put the ball up into the air, into a gap and score. It's 80 minutes of working whereas in Union you can rest and have a look into the crowd a lot of the time".

I remember Scott Gibbs and Inga Tuigamala making similar comments shortly after they crossed to the handling code as well.

If Koukash is doing one thing right it is getting under the skin of Unionites. ;)

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#14 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

If Koukash is doing one thing right it is getting under the skin of Unionites. ;)

I'd be very surprised if many of them have heard of him. I thinks he's good fun far more interesting than your standard chairman. Reminds me of Oleg Tinkoff (Russian billionaire who owns Tinkoff Saxo pro cycling team), mad as a bag of frogs but not afraid to say what's on his mind and doesn't mind upsetting people.
Fides invicta triumphat

#15 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

I remember Scott Gibbs and Inga Tuigamala making similar comments shortly after they crossed to the handling code as well.

I seem to remember old Scott Gibb saying after his first game of RL the only thing that didn't hurt was his eyelid. The staff at Wigan said about Inga they took 10 ibs off his backside and put it on his chest. 

Koukash does like to speak his mind and frankly the RFL  don't welcome that which is why he needs to do it as often as possible. 

#16 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'd be very surprised if many of them have heard of him. I thinks he's good fun far more interesting than your standard chairman. Reminds me of Oleg Tinkoff (Russian billionaire who owns Tinkoff Saxo pro cycling team), mad as a bag of frogs but not afraid to say what's on his mind and doesn't mind upsetting people.

Koukash appears to have a much higher media profile since he got involved in RL. He seems to enjoy this new found attention greatly.

#17 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

I think most RU folk, if they have even heard of him, are shaking their heads in sympathy as he shouts a lot about what he is going to do then fails to do it. All mouth and no trousers seems to be the phrase best suited to Koukash.

He seems little more than a publicity hungry fellow with a lot of money who the press are giving lots of rope and just biding their time.

From what I have read he has upset plenty of folk from the league side of the divide.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

I think most RU folk, if they have even heard of him, are shaking their heads in sympathy as he shouts a lot about what he is going to do then fails to do it. All mouth and no trousers seems to be the phrase best suited to Koukash.

He seems little more than a publicity hungry fellow with a lot of money who the press are giving lots of rope and just biding their time.

From what I have read he has upset plenty of folk from the league side of the divide.

He said he would save the Salford Club from extinction. He has done that. He said he would sign some playing talent. He has done that.

He has been there about two seasons. Give him time for the rest of his plans to materialise.

#19 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

He's certainly upset you on the union divide. 

I think you've seen your backside on this one TT after starting this thread as yet another attempted dig at Rugby.  Just adding "likes" to all the responses from union fans only serves to make you look even more desperate  :tongue:  

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

TT dreams of BOD on one of his typical mazy runs......

bod_dream.gif

Edited by JohnM, 03 September 2014 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users