O’Loughlin for England captain, says Wigan boss

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Total Rugby League

Total Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane has led the rallying cry for club captain Sean O’Loughlin to get the nod for the England captaincy in the wake of Kevin Sinfield’s international retirement – saying Steve McNamara shouldn’t look at anyone else.

O’Loughlin is naturally considered to be amongst the front-runners for the role after Sinfield announced he was stepping away from the international game on Monday – and his club boss has backed him for the role – calling it a “no-brainer”.

“I rate him very, very highly and, if I was Steve, I wouldn’t look anywhere else,” Wane said.

“He has the respect of all of his team-mates and whoever he plays against, overseas as well as in this country, it’s a no-brainer for me.

“Lockers is very patriotic. But he needs to consider his Wigan career as well. That’s a decision for him to make, I wouldn’t put any pressure on him.”

The post O’Loughlin for England captain, says Wigan boss appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

If he is fit come the four nations it wouldn't be a bad call.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

If he has half as much influence for england as captain as he does wigan then there no other candidate for me.

#4 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

It's a no-brainer for me too, the only question being his injury record.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

injury prone these days and will be closing in on 35 come the next world cup....thats not what england needs unfortunately 

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

injury prone these days and will be closing in on 35 come the next world cup....thats not what england needs unfortunately 

I agree. They need to go back to Graham or be bold and go for a younger option in Gareth Widdop or Sam Tomkins. For me, Graham is the ideal age (28) and stage of his career to lead England for 4-5 years.

The bit about being England based is nonsense. If Graham was England captain he could well ask for dispensation to attend any summer training camps or mid-season internationals etc.

Edited by Scubby, 03 September 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#7 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

O'loughlin doesnt play enough for England to be captain + his injury record isnt great and he is getting older. He has fewer caps that Ryan Hall who is 5 years younger and Tomkins who is 6 years younger. 

You would also need to ask if O'loughlin is going to still be playing in 3 years never mind being a shoo-in for England at that stage, he would turn 35 during the next world cup. No point in appointing a captain for 1 or 2 years then needing to go with another in 2017 for the WC.

James Roby would be the answer for me. 

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

james graham for me...a true leader of men who'll leave everything on the field

James+Graham+New+Zealand+v+England+HNIyD

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

james graham for me...a true leader of men who'll leave everything on the field

James+Graham+New+Zealand+v+England+HNIyD

its too easy to get under Grahams skin for him to be captain in my opinion. 

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

O'Loughlin is a great player and captain material. But let's not forget it wasn't so long since Wigan didn't want him to continue as sole captain and went with the four captains idea. This seemed to be supported by Wigan fans whose comments I read at the time, who thought he wasn't vocal enough on the field when the going got tough.

I'd have thought Graham was the better long-term choice.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yep Graham for me too

A true grafter who wont accept players not pulling their weight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users