The Auckland Nines - Good or better?

So we're into the new year and the prospect of top class Rugby League is getting closer.

Can't manage to post a proper countdown for us but here's the countdown as it was a few minutes ago:

Nines_zps3cd2bf0c.jpg

... there's plenty of positives in the above outline ...

The down side of this for me last season was the number of injuries to players t5hat spoilt their start to the season proper.

Maybe they can do something to the pitch to soften it a little? 

• 3 weeks later...

Auckland Nines is just a week away now ... yes 7 days.

Next Friday is day 1 of the two day event.

All will be shown on Pay TV here.

Some of the 9's squads have already been named.

Looking forward to it.

It's been a long break!

This year, it also includes a 3-match Nines series between the NZ & Aus women's teams.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They ought to have included a legends game as well like we've talked about on here.

One step at a time - maybe 2016. I think it could be a great idea.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2015 Auckland Nines Pool Draw
Rangitoto Pool: Eels, Sea Eagles, Knights, Dragons
Waiheke Pool: Storm, Cowboys, Panthers, Rabbitohs
Piha Pool: Roosters, Broncos, Bulldogs, Sharks 
Hunua Ranges Pool: Wests Tigers, Warriors, Raiders, Titans 

Under the tournament format, the 16 NRL clubs will be divided into four Team Pools with each team to compete against each opponent from within their pool. The top two teams from each pool progress to the next stage of the tournament.

Matches will be played over two nine-minute halves (18 minute matches).

Weakened sides or just different and sides with up and coming talent on show?

Johnathan Thurston will today become the latest big name to miss this week’s Auckland Nines because the Cowboys have declared it their responsibility to protect the superstar playmaker from burnout.

The NRL initially told clubs they had to name at least one of their top five players in the 18-man squads as well as 12 from their top 25 list to ensure the tournament’s credibility.

The Cowboys will be the final club to announce their squad today but the tip is Thurston won’t be part of North Queensland’s attempt to defend their Auckland Nines crown.

Thurston also missed the end of season Four Nations tournament because of a shoulder injury but the 2014 joint Dally M Medal winner has been named to lead the Indigenous All Stars against the NRL’s All Stars on the Gold Coast on February 13.

Melbourne have not named Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, while Canterbury, Penrith, Cronulla, Brisbane and Wests Tigers have many stars missing.

The NRL says clubs have had to factor in many extenuating circumstances and the governing body is satisfied all 16 teams have done their best to meet the criteria.

As many as 20 players suffered injuries at last year’s Nines and coaches have made no secret of the fact they have a responsibility to protect their players.

9s is a good way to promote and develop the Sport. Maybe thgere is an opportunity to expand it a bit both here in Europe and Australasia. Instead of using NRL clubs use Nations and use non NRL players. It just needs somebody to push and market it well and get a couple of people from a couple of Nations to get the snowball rolling. 

Ells v Knights next. Eels looked really good in G1. For that matter Knights were good too. These two teams showed good tactics Some teams don't seem to have 9's tactics

This is first of the second round games. Radradra just scored a great 5 pointer. Eels good to watch. Eh up Knights in for try in corner. Great game so far.

Archived