WCC - sell outs?

cookey

According to the Saints fans forum,their game is heading for a sell out,with 'over 13,000 tickets sold and ' a few thousand' remaining.Only single seat tickets and standing remaing.Hospitality sold out.

Also seem to be selling well at Warrington and Wigan.

And that's without the Russell Crowe influence,when he arrives.Should be a great weekend for all involved/speccies/tv coverage.

From elsewhere,I understand the Newcastle weekend is going exceptionally well,with a lot more weekend tickets sold than previously - seems people are spending the full weekend in Newcastle,hope Gateshead maximise the oppourtunity.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Saints fans forum,their game is heading for a sell out,with 'over 13,000 tickets sold and ' a few thousand' remaining.Only single seat tickets and standing remaing.Hospitality sold out.

Also seem to be selling well at Warrington and Wigan.

And that's without the Russell Crowe influence,when he arrives.Should be a great weekend for all involved/speccies/tv coverage.

From elsewhere,I understand the Newcastle weekend is going exceptionally well,with a lot more weekend tickets sold than previously - seems people are spending the full weekend in Newcastle,hope Gateshead maximise the oppourtunity.

Good news. I read a release from Warrington stating that half of the 'Premium Tickets' have been sold - these are the ones that were £45, so that is really positive.

Seeing three packed grounds for this will be brilliant, but tbh I think 15k at Warrington with the prices they have would be really positive, and hopefully would go some way to convincing people that RL doesn't have to be sold cheap to be attractive.

Good to see the games are selling well.

I am a little surprised that the two friendlies against Brisbane Bronco's and St George Dragons are also selling well, all good news.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Good to see the games are selling well.

I am a little surprised that the two friendlies against Brisbane Bronco's and St George Dragons are also selling well, all good news.

Other sports get huge crowds for friendlies, not sure why RL shouldn't.

Other sports get huge crowds for friendlies, not sure why RL shouldn't.

I agree.

I am just surprised that the two Australian teams have the pulling power in a year where they did not fair that well in the NRL.

I suppose they have some top players sprinkled throughout their squads, hopefully they are taking the games seriously and give it their all.

I am pleased, but not surprised, to read that. In Wigan's case, the Broncos are such a glamourous name, regardless of how well they are going in their competition. In Wire's case, their fans just turn out to support the team and the game time after time. The HJ is the best ground in the league when full for a night game. I was sceptical about the interest in the friendlies, but am actually looking forward to being there - it feels like an event.

The fact that Wayne Bennett is back at the helm of the Broncos may well see a resurgence in their form.

They have been a shadow of what they once were in recent years.

Really good news, think it highlights the lack of ambition with the stadiums a little but certainly a chance to send the Aussies back thinking 'imagine what we could do with a real tournament'

I think for a good Club tournament to really grow legs you would need two things.

A shorter SL and NRL season to make the timing work.

A large cash prize that the Clubs would try their best to send their strongest squads and really want to win.

The Auckland nines has shown that with a good sponsor and good prize money with a commitment for several years the Clubs and Fans will embrace it and it should develop from there.

Really good news, think it highlights the lack of ambition with the stadiums a little but certainly a chance to send the Aussies back thinking 'imagine what we could do with a real tournament'

I do agree somewhat, particularly around the actual Final itself. Over the last 10 years we have averaged 27k for this game, including the two lower crowds in Leeds after they stopped using Elland Road.

For me this is a perfect example of how our game lacks the real vision, and it is worrying when it is people like Hetherington being part of that when he is one of our biggest visionaries.

If this was Rugby Union for example, no way in the world would they go from Leeds playing in front of 37k at Elland Road in 2005 to 20k at Headingley 9 years later.

All that said, I think there was a risk with the other two games as being dismissed as 'friendlies' as some have already done, instead of seeing them as bloody exciting games in their own right and getting a crowd of 8k at Wire and 11k at Wigan.

Fortunately the early signs are this won't be the case.

Get 18k at Saints (way way below the average, a poor decision) and 24k and 15k at the other games and that will hopefully be the first step.

Three NRL teams with a great history of long term and recent success.. why wouldn't they be a huge draw?.. and teams with England internationals in their ranks also. Gutted im oversea's on this weekend as i would have definitely travelled up from London for a couple of these. Gonna have to try and find a bar with Sky sports in Berlin!..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Three NRL teams with a great history of long term and recent success.. why wouldn't they be a huge draw?.. and teams with England internationals in their ranks also. Gutted im oversea's on this weekend as i would have definitely travelled up from London for a couple of these. Gonna have to try and find a bar with Sky sports in Berlin!..

Ich bin ein Wiganner?

It might just work.

I do agree somewhat, particularly around the actual Final itself. Over the last 10 years we have averaged 27k for this game, including the two lower crowds in Leeds after they stopped using Elland Road.

For me this is a perfect example of how our game lacks the real vision, and it is worrying when it is people like Hetherington being part of that when he is one of our biggest visionaries.

If this was Rugby Union for example, no way in the world would they go from Leeds playing in front of 37k at Elland Road in 2005 to 20k at Headingley 9 years later.

All that said, I think there was a risk with the other two games as being dismissed as 'friendlies' as some have already done, instead of seeing them as bloody exciting games in their own right and getting a crowd of 8k at Wire and 11k at Wigan.

Get 18k at Saints (way way below the average, a poor decision) and 24k and 15k at the other games and that will hopefully be the first step.

But Dave they are friendlies or "exhibition matches" or pre season warm ups.

The planning could have been so much better if all parties were willing.

Broncos came mid table 8th

Dragons 11th

I would have rather seen

Roosters as premiers

Manly as runners up

Or even Canterbury Grand finalists.

As the second and third teams behind South Sydney who obviously are contesting the WCC.

Other than an "exhibition" what does the outcome matter from the 8th and 11th places NRL teams?

They are halfway and worse from a 16 team comp.

It is similar to sending Saints, Catalan Dragons and Hull FC  or Salford to Australia (if that was the case, but next year is back to two teams for the WCC) there is no consistency or long term planning it seems.

Dragons 11th

I would have rather seen

Roosters as premiers

Manly as runners up

As the second and third teams behind South Sydney who obviously are contesting the WCC.

Other than an "exhibition" what does the outcome matter from the 8th and 11th places NRL teams?

It is similar to sending Saints, Catalan Dragons and Hull FC  or Salford to Australia (if that was the case, but next year is back to two teams for the WCC) there is no consistency or long term planning it seems.

Them being friendlies is not the issue. It is people dismissing them as 'only friendlies' that is a problem.

I know it is a friendly, but it is a very attractive friendly that is making me drive 250 miles to watch.

We don't need to go out of our way to tell anyone who'll listen that it is a friendly and that these teams are mid-table NRL teams. 

They are attractive games, we should look at the bigger picture and get as many as possible to support them.

Them being friendlies is not the issue. It is people dismissing them as 'only friendlies' that is a problem.

I know it is a friendly, but it is a very attractive friendly that is making me drive 250 miles to watch.

We don't need to go out of our way to tell anyone who'll listen that it is a friendly and that these teams are mid-table NRL teams. 

They are attractive games, we should look at the bigger picture and get as many as possible to support them.

Dragons 11th

I would have rather seen

Roosters as premiers

Manly as runners up

I don't know about St George Illawarra's reasons for being part of this, but Wayne Bennett at the Broncos has always seen the bigger picture. Maybe Manly and Canterbury weren't interested? I don't know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's the thing isn't it you hope. We get 60 for these three games and then say imagine what we could do with the real deal.

No reason a proper 8 team WCC couldn't get 150k a round average. I don't care how big this supposed conspiracy in the media against us is, 4 35k/40k games in a weekend get a attention.

How we have gone so far backwards with it is beyond me.

There's an Irish bar called Kilkenny's at Hackescher Markt right below the S-Bahn station that has Sky - I watched a Monday night Hull derby in there a couple of years ago. Handily the 24 hour tram terminus is immediately outside as well.

agreed, when Warrington played the Kangaroos in the past people didnt dismiss the game as a friendly.

Exactly right.  I was at a packed Wilderspool in 1978 to see Warrington beat the Aussies, and the atmosphere in the ground was as good as I have ever experienced it.

Like you I am travelling 200+ miles for the game having bought a couple of £35.00 tickets for my wife and myself.  I haven't been to the HJ since the World Cup quarter final (every game I bought tickets for last year was moved to Thursday night) and I can't wait.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

There's an Irish bar called Kilkenny's at Hackescher Markt right below the S-Bahn station that has Sky - I watched a Monday night Hull derby in there a couple of years ago. Handily the 24 hour tram terminus is immediately outside as well.

Just checked and this pub is pretty much opposite my hotel (happy days!). Usually hate 'Irish' pubs, but will make an exception in this instance.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

We have to tread carefully with this, of course. It took the game a long time to recover from the ill fated full WCC in 1997. Having glamourous mid table sides suits me just fine. It seems to me that this is a good reward for topping the league - a high profile money spinner. It is probably the closest any of our teams will get to playing against top Aussie players, now that Tours are no more.
I remember watching Wigan play Queensland in the mid 80s, and that was a wondeful event (though the game was not great). It's not the WCC, but still a great event. That Wigan may get more to watch them than Saints does not mean we are better club, of course. :D

agreed, when Warrington played the Kangaroos in the past people didnt dismiss the game as a friendly.

When Wigan played the Kangaroos in the Nineties, Barrie McDermott certainly didn't play 'friendly'. B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived