Admission prices at Park Lane

Blue Monkey

Whilst looking on the sparkling new website I had a quick check at the Match Admission tab.

Whilst concessions and under-16s look excellent value at only £5 and £2 respectively, £15 for adults looks a bit steep to say the least and doesn't look in proportion to the other rates.

£15 may well put many under-60s off attending a 3rd tier match at a fairly basic ground such as Park Lane.

In my view, we may need to reconsider this £15 charge or the terraces could be occupied mostly by seniors and their grandchildren.

Perhaps about £12 is more like a sensible figure.

Cheap price = cheap product.

We think we're better than that and I'm sure John & the lads intend to give full value for money.

The Board considered adult admission prices long & hard and decided to cap it last year's level for a single match, whilst building in excellent incentives.

Therefore anybody purchasing a season ticket can still get in for an average £12.27 (or indeed £10.90 under the early bird offer).

Or consider that 2 adults can just about watch a premier league soccer game at United for what we're charging for a season ticket, so I disagree we've set our prices too high.

Cheap price = cheap product.

...decided to cap it last year's level...

Or rather 'modest' price = more patrons (with their friends, families, kids etc) on the terraces and overall more receipts as gate money - win win situation.

Sorry Steve, normally agree with you but not this time. Perhaps £12 adults and £7 cons would have been a better set-up, after all.

Hang on! stop the clock!, just looked at other clubs' adult rates and oddly enough they're around £15 too, so that's me shot down in flames even though I still think if you knock a quid or two off and advertise it, you'll get more folk interested. And if you've got them 'interested' you've got them hooked as attending matches regularly becomes a habit.

Like I said, the cons/juniors prices are very good value when compared to other clubs. E.g., last time I went to Whitebank it was a tenner for cons (3rd tier and an utter dump).

At the end of the day it's all about everybody going home happy and a having a decent amount in the club's piggy bank.

A policy of keeping your prices competitive and advertising as such often works to achieve the end result in my view.

The prices for kids are great. One thing that is alarmingly obvious to me is that we have an ageing support. I applaud all efforts from the board to replenish our fanbase.

However, we have plenty who bring their children or grandchildren when they are young but there's a massive drop off after that. 16-30 is an age group that as a club and a sport we need to target better. They've been virtually wiped out of football because of extortionate pricing. Groups of lads who want to meet at the pub, get a bus or walk to the match, pay on the gate, stand together and enjoy themselves. You simply cannot do that with football at the top level so is there a gap in the market that we should be exploiting? Or have times changed and that kind of thing lives in the past?

The nomadic nature of our existence and the locations of our grounds has made it almost impossible for the club to really deal with that. The club is building its presence in schools through coaching etc. Hopefully this will translate into a greater fanbase but unfortunately as long as we play a few years here, a few years there it looks to me like an uphill battle. We can tell kids how great the club is but unless they can get to games easily without relying on their parents they will be lost to is once they leave school.

On the pricing, even if we opened the gates for free I really doubt we'd see a significant long-term increase in attendances. £15 is about the average price at our level and is competitive compared to many other forms of entertainment. Go to the cinema and you're looking at a tenner. Out for a meal and it's £20 a head. Concerts £25. Theatre and football at least £30. So for a live event £15 isn't unreasonable.

I don't know what the answer is, if I did I suspect I'd be a very wealthy man, but it looks to me like the club has momentum with fresh ideas and determination and is taking many of the right steps.

Think the club will have worked out that £15 is the price we NEED to charge

It's not going to change and so not worth the discussion

I think it's a very fair price

I paid £18 last night at a Michelin starred restaurant for some scallops. They were nice but lasted less than a minute

15 for eighty looks good value

It costs a fortune to go to the pictures...get a bus ...Go on a train.

I think our younger support will grow as the lions in the community grows

It's a long term effort

It's a shame that something like a "taster" ticket couldn't be devised to encourage people to have a look at what's on offer.Charge maybe a tenner and hope that some would be encouraged to attend on a regular basis.Ive won a couple of tickets in a Twitter competition but as I've bought a season ticket I will be giving them to someone who has never sampled the Swinton Lions experience in the hope that they may come again.I agree with the earlier comments I suspect £15 is what we need to charge.

It's fair to say that in pricing the cost of entry a number of factors we're taken into account not least the fact our funding from the RL was cut considerably following our relegation.

It was agreed we put together a competitive squad which we think we have and of course have also followed a sustained purge on sponsorship to cover shortfalls and of course the clubs agreement to continue to support the old companies CVA, all meant that admission price had to reflect a proportion of the budget.

£15 is by no means unreasonable as many have pointed out when compared to other forms of entertainment.

The board need all the fans to continue to be on the lookout for potential sponsors as we can tag anything if someone is prepared to pay. It will also be good if our supporters would take up the opportunity to support some of the match day functions such as the Pie and chips lunch at the Oldham game where we will have Les Holliday guest speaking.

What the board will do is listen to our fans so if anyone has any good fund raising ideas get in touch and as our slogan says "Join the team".

Archived