Whos minding the Store

higgy

Whitebank is not fit for Reserve team football, hasn't got the facilities like Catering, and is further away isn't it?

Singe

Whitebank is not fit for any kind of professional sport.

Has not got any facilities to speak of.

The main point of my post was to say to CH give us the true picture and you may get support like you ask.

But lets not hold our breath he will not divulge anything to anyone.

In answer to some of the recent points:

I believe that another poster, one I see as a reliable source has identified a covenant on Whitebank that prohibits developmentcabove a certain height. Not to mention the prohibitive costs of making the place habitable. There are also vandalism issues, basic utilities issues and transport/location/ parking issues if crowds were to increase. I agree that bit is also not fit for reserve team football.

So I don't see Whitebank as a solution post CH.

Boundary Park is the medium term solution for any new club, but the rugby club would be very much the junior partner and would have to establish new funding streams rapidly to offset the loss of food and booze costs.

Call me a dreamer, but I believe a small new multi-purpose community stadium should be the aim of a new club. Built and managed by a separate but grouped stadium company, to ensure that if the stadium fails the club goes on, and vice versa.

Funding bids to Sport England, National Lottery, RFL, Oldham Council, North West Development Agency, Rugby Oldham plus a membership or crowd funding scheme combined with a part rental basis with a development partner could generate enough money to do it. But it would take time.

Tubey I like your dream.

It would make perfect sense possibly anywhere but Oldham.

Having heard and read  some of the theories of Mcmahon and his predecessors however,I have no faith in any contribution from that quarter.I have watched the town fall apart over the last 30 years and see no real evidence of a reversal at the moment.It may change one day but I am not holding my breath.

The importance of the sports teams and what they can do for a town is lost on the council.

BQ said on more than one occasion that the council tended to fob Hamilton off when he approached them to get something sorted.

Personally I have reached a conclusion that it would be better to deal with businessmen at the latics and negotiate as best a we can a deal that would work for both clubs.

In the back of my mind I have suspected that would be what the council would like to happen anyway.

Clearly If the latics allow the rugby in at such prohibitive costs that it kills it, then there is no point. However a percentage of something that allows growth and the Rugby to re establish itself is common sense and benefits both parties.I would rather pay more money to watch at the latics to be honest.If someone said it was £15.00 to watch the Rugby at BP I would have no problem with that..

Its by no means impossible to end up back to 2000 gates plus and x 12-14 fixtures .Bp stands doing nothing for a lot of the rugby season anyway.

I am sure pitch technology is such that all this re seeding nonsense is a thing of the past as well.

For sure we would be junior partners but I would rather be that junior partner in something that allows us growth.Are Huddersfield not in this position albeit with a council who did the right thing at the right time.

andykenny Do you not see a slow rebuild  at Whitebank, there are certain plusses, one being the proximity of the pitch to speccys, the potential to level and extend the pitch and the possibility of tapping into all revenue streams, which wont happen at Latics...With my Rose Coloured Sunglasses on I can envisage progress under a new regime, even at Whitebank.

And lets not forget there are fans who were quite adamant (on this forum) that they would never pay to watch Oldham rugby play at Boundary Park.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

And lets not forget there are fans who were quite adamant (on this forum) that they would never pay to watch Oldham rugby play at Boundary Park.

That may or may not be the case Bedford but I am certain there are more who are not attending *hitebank.  Don't forget it is only a few who are actively staying away as some kind of protest.  Most are staying away because it is not an enjoyable experience.  It is obvious that not many away fans come back for more than one visit.  I don't go often now because I just find it depressing and embarrassing to be honest.

That may or may not be the case Bedford but I am certain there are more who are not attending *hitebank.  Don't forget it is only a few who are actively staying away as some kind of protest.  Most are staying away because it is not an enjoyable experience.  It is obvious that not many away fans come back for more than one visit.  I don't go often now because I just find it depressing and embarrassing to be honest.

It was more to point out that just moving to Boundary Park is not some sort of golden bullet that will solve all ill's.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

andykenny Do you not see a slow rebuild  at Whitebank, there are certain plusses, one being the proximity of the pitch to speccys, the potential to level and extend the pitch and the possibility of tapping into all revenue streams, which wont happen at Latics...With my Rose Coloured Sunglasses on I can envisage progress under a new regime, even at Whitebank.

Such would have to be the rebuild to make it a secure bomb proof place that was inviting to both home and away fans I just could not see any future in it.

Archived