Cricket.....Again

Have a look now its a little better

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look now its a little better

Indeed, but it is a shame that Stokes fell just short of a Lords century.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ged's lad has had as good a day with the ball today as with the bat yesterday. Worth tuning in for the C5 highlights at 7pm.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have to say, England have turned this around very well in this Test.  The new blood looks good.

Just need to hope that the ECB don't crush 'em ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

YES!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Highlights on C5 at 7pm. Very definitely worth watching.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was unexpected. One of the best games of Test cricket you could wish for - well played New Zealand too, at least up until Stokes came in yesterday.

It might be too early to give Australia a real fight this summer, but the signs are more promising than they were a few months ago. Just need a bit of consistency now, and hope that Lyth is the player we think he could be at that level. And that Bell gets his form back.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Watched most of the last two days and the lads done good.

Im more than happy to stick the boot into some complacent and over-rated mediocrity when it is served up by the Engalnd team. By the same dint, they played very well here.

Stokes was great yesterday and got wickets today. Reminded me of Botham, Gough or Flintoff as that fiery go-to man to gee us all up. Everyone was indeed geed up & focussed and the win was deserved.

The kiwis are no mugs.

Just enough time for Jimmy Anderson to get his 400th test wicket, and the rain starts again.

Oh well, over to the Tennis on ITV4. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've finally realised how much I dislike this current English setup because I'm disappointed that England aren't losing wickets.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Not a test cricket question, but perhaps someone who is familiar with Lancashire club cricket can help me out. What is going on? I've just heard that Heywood CC are to leave the Central Lancashire League for something called the Greater Manchester Cricket League. Is some sort of reorganisation going on because I've never heard of GMCL? Is it a higher standard because Heywood were founder members of CLL in the late 19th century?

I've finally realised how much I dislike this current English setup because I'm disappointed that England aren't losing wickets.

Having enjoyed the Stokes-led fightback I am left again wondering what is going through Captain Inner Steel's head when it's up to him to do something to turn a match that's going away from England.  Setting defensive fields when you need to take wickets and hoping Jimmy will get the breakthrough ... meanwhile we can't pick Rashid to be a proper spinner come the Ashes because he didn't get game time in the Windies ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

NZ declare, so England have a day and a half (minus rain delays) to score 455 for a win or just stay in for the draw.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NZ declare, so England have a day and a half (minus rain delays) to score 455 for a win or just stay in for the draw.

Rain is the winner.

Train wreck cricket from England so far today.  Ian Bell's dismissal was just so telegraphed it was unreal, normally when watching cricket when working it's in the background with me looking up at louder noises but I watched every ball of Bell's demise.  I could see the leg slip going into place, as could Bell and he nicely gave him some catching practice the very next ball.  Root's dismissal was a mixture of excellent reflexes and a whole pile of luck for NZ.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

102-5 so far , Bell is on borrowed time I think. No idea who would replace him though.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

In reference to the other thread on privilege:  Alistair Cook, the Peter Principle in gruesome reality.

Not a test cricket question, but perhaps someone who is familiar with Lancashire club cricket can help me out. What is going on? I've just heard that Heywood CC are to leave the Central Lancashire League for something called the Greater Manchester Cricket League. Is some sort of reorganisation going on because I've never heard of GMCL? Is it a higher standard because Heywood were founder members of CLL in the late 19th century?

GMCL looks like it will be a mixed standard but a more joined up and positive organisation?  A quick reading suggests many felt the CLL was sitting on its laurels (Blazers...).

Better to also read that Heywood has an England international playing for them, Kate Cross!  Bet that upset the blazers!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

In reference to the other thread on privilege:  Alistair Cook, the Peter Principle in gruesome reality.

Another example of appointing the best player as captain maybe, rather than the person most suited to be captain. Said player then seems destined to have a marked drop in form...............

Another example of appointing the best player as captain maybe, rather than the person most suited to be captain. Said player then seems destined to have a marked drop in form...............

I'd agree. His batting in the last Ashes series win down under was phenomenal and may have earned him the captaincy, but he's very cautious and conservative as a leader. But so was his predecessor and now boss Andrew Strauss (conservative as well as upper-case Conservative), so his position may be safe for now.

But I do wonder, out of the current centrally-contracted England players, who else has leadership qualities?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I never thought this thread coul last so long. I see there are always many things going on and I dare to bring back some basics in my post. I wish I had 1€ for every time I've heard the words "round the wicket", I think mostly referred to the bowling action. All I can guess is about the bowler ending his run-in at the left or at the right of the stumps of the non batting end. And I guess this has also something to do with the batsman being right handed or feft handed. Can anyone tell me something about this ? Thank you.

But I do wonder, out of the current centrally-contracted England players, who else has leadership qualities?

Literally the only one who leaps out is Joe Root and I don't think he'd be any better when it comes to what the good captains are doing in terms of setting fields and bowling strategies.  England are so far off the pace compared to the rest.

GMCL looks like it will be a mixed standard but a more joined up and positive organisation?  A quick reading suggests many felt the CLL was sitting on its laurels (Blazers...).

Better to also read that Heywood has an England international playing for them, Kate Cross!  Bet that upset the blazers!

Yes, I get the impression that GMCL is the sort of countywide reorganisation that has been going on throughout English cricket, with presumably the same going on in Merseyside and the rest of Lancashire. It is a shame about the CLL as we thought it was the dog's testicles when we were kids - the final table even made it into Wisden! It is a shame that they seem to be shunning progress.

I saw that about Kate Cross - brilliant! The Cross family have long links with the club. I remember Bob Cross being in the team, as was Dave Cross before he signed for Rochdale AFC, Norwich and Coventry City.

England lose a wicket with the first ball, then break all sorts of records to finish with over 400! B) 

Pretty amazing to listen to on the radio. No terrestrial highlights though. :(

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived