Drugs - another story coming out

If it is a case of either/or, I'd rather have correct results than quick results.

A drug cheat getting away with it for a few extra weeks, balanced against an innocent player being banned for years. They're both bad, but I could stomach the former if the latter never happened.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the standard normally. And it isn't three consecutive tests; when Christine Ohuruogu was banned for missing three tests (and the tabloid press went into orgies of condemnation), that was over a period when she had turned up on time and been tested on nearly thirty other occasions.

Yeah but you only have to miss the tests where you're going to test positive.

Yeah but you only have to miss the tests where you're going to test positive.

Or you can be 100% clean and also miss three tests. You still get the ban.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

True but clean athletes rarely "miss" tests.

Really? Using the inverted commas to snidely damn every single person who was unavoidably detained, had an unexpected emergency, was forgetful or just stuck in traffic?

You may have a future in tabloid journalism.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bunch of deletes and one suspension.

I think you lot must have gathered by now that this is a subject that's going to keep moderation attention.  Play nicely.  I'm not locking it as it genuinely is a valid subject.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I hope the numbers I'm hearing are incorrect! If true it will be big news. ( at least 8 now)

If true, what would the implications for RL be in this country?

We are the best testers

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Quite a bit of mud being thrown from the featherstone area at leigh on this subject, hope they are not leaving themselves open to court cases

My limited understanding is that the club gets told of any problems and the players aren't selected until B samples are tested. Hence why the clubs know about failures first, the early accusations centred on players who didn't play v Salford but it seems that they are in this weeks 19 with the exception of moimoi who has been in a knee brace since Easter and pesky who is going in for an operation and will be out for. 8 weeks

Some people want the very worst to be true so much, it's quite unhealthy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quite a bit of mud being thrown from the featherstone area at leigh on this subject, hope they are not leaving themselves open to court cases

My limited understanding is that the club gets told of any problems and the players aren't selected until B samples are tested. Hence why the clubs know about failures first, the early accusations centred on players who didn't play v Salford but it seems that they are in this weeks 19 with the exception of moimoi who has been in a knee brace since Easter and pesky who is going in for an operation and will be out for. 8 weeks

Both player and club will be told of a positive after the A sample test but they would not be suspended if banned until the results of the B are available

Any none picking would be a club/ player decision

Sadly, it is a fact of life that if you attend a gymnasium in Britain it is very easy to purchase enhancing drugs, and I suppose it can be hard to turn down the temptation to purchase these drugs if your body is slow to respond to legitimate body exercises. Informants also tell me you can get instruction in how to deceive drug tests. A certain American cyclist did it for years, readily boasting to all the world he was clean.

Working in the world of clinical trials I am positive that there are some enhancing drugs which at present would not at present be discovered on a current drug test. Alas it is very much a case of constantly having to catch up, which of course it will always be so as we require ever new drugs to deal with such as cancer, I find it particularly sad that drugs used in medicine regularly, and legitimately, are used to improve sporting prowess. Even beta blockers which are used to slow things down in hypertension is a banned substance in snooker.

I really do hope that there is nothing in the current stories circulating, and we can follow our favourite teams knowing they are 'clean"

Sadly, it is a fact of life that if you attend a gymnasium in Britain it is very easy to purchase enhancing drugs, and I suppose it can be hard to turn down the temptation to purchase these drugs if your body is slow to respond to legitimate body exercises. Informants also tell me you can get instruction in how to deceive drug tests. A certain American cyclist did it for years, readily boasting to all the world he was clean.

Working in the world of clinical trials I am positive that there are some enhancing drugs which at present would not at present be discovered on a current drug test. Alas it is very much a case of constantly having to catch up, which of course it will always be so as we require ever new drugs to deal with such as cancer, I find it particularly sad that drugs used in medicine regularly, and legitimately, are used to improve sporting prowess. Even beta blockers which are used to slow things down in hypertension is a banned substance in snooker.

I really do hope that there is nothing in the current stories circulating, and we can follow our favourite teams knowing they are 'clean"

A guy leaving his job at Chatenay Malabray with the AFLD said that if he ran a doping programme he could do it with 100% certainty of avoiding a positive result.

Archived