Oh dear Saints no.

This will end in tears with Saints paying good money to a very average player at best

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/32530994

How much money is he getting for half a season, how long is his contract for? Until we know these details it's harsh to say it will end in tears.

Following Hohaia's retirement it seems a logical stop-gap to bring in a like for like player, immediately available, who already knows how the club operates.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

Can't agree, McDonnell had an auspicious start to his Hull career but he soon impressed me with his ability. He's a very good player and has great feet, making one on one tackling of him very difficult. I was sorry to see him leave Hull after that bad injury but with the emergence of Shaul, Radford obviously wanted rid.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

He's signed until the end of next season. He did well with us during his brief spell last year (before his injury) and helps to fill a big hole in our squad this season following the injury to Lomax and Hohaia's retirement. He's a talented enough player and will help to provide cover across the backline.

This will end in tears with Saints paying good money to a very average player at best

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/32530994

Pretty decent signing in my opinion.

Yes he isn't a 'world class' signing but realistically how many players are available mid-season ?

Wellens is struggling with injury at the moment and is unlikely to play on for next year. Lomax has another serious injury and the club dont know if he will fully recover, and if he does he may not be ready for the start of next season. This leaves them with no recognised full backs currently available at the club.

McDonnell played pretty well in the 3 games he played for Saints last year and was unlucky to have his season ended by a broken jaw. Signing him for the rest of this season and next seems a fairly good move by the club.

It gives us a recognised full back for the rest of this season. It allows Lomax time to recover next year, and if he doesn't then we will have a full back to continue while they look for another long term replacement. If Lomax does recover then McDonnell can cover both 1 and 6 so would be a valuable squad player. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

How much money is he getting for half a season, how long is his contract for? Until we know these details it's harsh to say it will end in tears.

Following Hohaia's retirement it seems a logical stop-gap to bring in a like for like player, immediately available, who already knows how the club operates.

Seems a perfectly practical signing to me too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

when i went to langtree last week i was talking to some saints fans and they said that there are concerns over johnny lomax with the recurring injury problems, mc donnell will be a short term fix and nothing else IMO

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Good squad addition, settled right into the movements last night and didn't do owt wrong.

Yep.  Just like last season in fact only last night he hadn't even had time to get over jetlag so that was pretty good going really.  I could tell he was fresh over from Australia as he was the only tanned player on the pitch!

What annoys me is that he's a NSW Cup player and is nowhere near good enough for FG over here, so why do Saints, one of the top teams and defending champions, think he's good enough for them? Surely there are kids as good as him in the UK?

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

What annoys me is that he's a NSW Cup player and is nowhere near good enough for FG over here, so why do Saints, one of the top teams and defending champions, think he's good enough for them? Surely there are kids as good as him in the UK?

He played three games for us last season and scored a try in each.  He then broke his jaw and we didn't see him again.

We are in a tricky situation.  We do not have a young fullback who is ready for first team in that position.  Our under 19s fullback is 17 and not ready.  We only have under 19s to draw from as for financial reasons the clubs abandoned under 21s.  We don't have reserve teams or feeder clubs.  We have to make decisions on teenagers.  Meanwhile, we lost our first choice fullback for the season and our stand in has just had a hip operation.  We moved our best winger there for a couple of games and he did a decent job but we lost his strike on that side and while we did play a young winger for those two games we still missed our best winger on that wing.

McDonnell will do a job for us.  He's decent under the bomb, he knows what to do with the defensive line, he knows how to chime in to the line, he's no slouch, he's played for the club before and we need a fullback now, not next season.

Sometimes, needs must.  No, he isn't a world beater but he will help us out and I'm sure he will do a good job for us.

Archived