Not so Premier Sports

In the Four Nations last year Premier, not for the first time, missed the last 5 minutes of the NZ v Samoa match off the Sky+ recording. I rang to cancel but they offered me £3.99 per month for six months so I stayed.

Today not only did they miss the middle 20 mins of the Samoa match but again cut off last few minutes. Rang to cancel and they again offered me the deal but I didn't take them up this time.

Premier are amateur and although it's great they show loads of games they need to stop appearing like it's done out if the back of someone's shed!! Can it be that hard to build in some extra time at the end of a show?!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

The missing middle 20 minutes is more likely to have been a transmission problem from Australia.

The cutoffs at the end of match coverage is almost certainly Premier's fault, having to stick to a schedule that they haven't really thought through. That is a shambles.

But when I set a recording for a RL match, I always add time to the end, in case there are delays or extra time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I could add time to the end, I could watch it on Prem Player, but I pay £11.99 a month for them to give a decent service, not to have to adjust stuff myself.

I also don't think it is a transmission issue as it's a frequent occurrence on Prem. I think it's something to do with the quality of feed they pay for.

For £11.99 they should have HD by now as well!

Well I cancelled their previous incarnation Setanta, after an initially good experience got steadily worse, so I don't want to offer excuses for them.

I'm glad somone is showing NRL and SH internationals, but they should be doing a better job than this. I assume the forums for other sports they cover are filled with similar complaints.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do wish people would stop moaning about Premier Sports.  It's getting really dull and totally unnecessary because we all know what the arrangement is for PS and how reliant it is upon transmission facilities outside their control.  Why not just be glad that we actually get coverage in the first place.  People will be moaning if they get tired of whinging rugby league fans cancelling their subscriptions and threatening to cancel their subscriptions at every turn and just give up screening the NRL completely.

I do wish people would stop moaning about Premier Sports.  It's getting really dull and totally unnecessary because we all know what the arrangement is for PS and how reliant it is upon transmission facilities outside their control.  Why not just be glad that we actually get coverage in the first place.  People will be moaning if they get tired of whinging rugby league fans cancelling their subscriptions and threatening to cancel their subscriptions at every turn and just give up screening the NRL completely.

You have to balance the pros and cons - Sky would be a more professional service, but there's no way they'd show as many NRL matches per weekend.

We also don't know if, this weekend, they'd have shown anything more than the ANZAC Test, so we might have missed the entertainment of Samoa v Tonga.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

You have to balance the pros and cons - Sky would be a more professional service, but there's no way they'd show as many NRL matches per weekend.

We also don't know if, this weekend, they'd have shown anything more than the ANZAC Test, so we might have missed the entertainment of Samoa v Tonga.

That's exactly it.  PS always get in there and show rugby league whenever there is a chance.  They have been happy to screen experimental shows, like the current version of Backchat.  To me, while frustrating to miss good RL action obviously, the benefits of having them on board way outweigh the negatives of the occasional drop out - and keeping in mind just how much rugby league is on PS the drop outs ARE occasional.

I get so much more frustrated by whinging rugby league fans who don't know a good thing when they see it but would be the first to moan when that good thing has gone. The moaning drives me bonkers.

That's exactly it. PS always get in there and show rugby league whenever there is a chance. They have been happy to screen experimental shows, like the current version of Backchat. To me, while frustrating to miss good RL action obviously, the benefits of having them on board way outweigh the negatives of the occasional drop out - and keeping in mind just how much rugby league is on PS the drop outs ARE occasional.

I get so much more frustrated by whinging rugby league fans who don't know a good thing when they see it but would be the first to moan when that good thing has gone. The moaning drives me bonkers.

If you went to a restaurant because they served you're favourite food and they forgot the dessert, would you let them know or just walk out and think at least you had your main course? If you went back again and thy did the same would you continue to go back there?

I got Prem for the internationals, SOO and 9's. I don't have time to watch many of the NRL games so it's important that when I do watch a game they get it spot on. They don't.

If you went to a restaurant because they served you're favourite food and they forgot the dessert, would you let them know or just walk out and think at least you had your main course? If you went back again and thy did the same would you continue to go back there?

I got Prem for the internationals, SOO and 9's. I don't have time to watch many of the NRL games so it's important that when I do watch a game they get it spot on. They don't.

Comparing Premier Sports to a restaurant is silly.  If you want to make such comparisons then you'd need to use the local chippy because that's about where Premier Sports is on the scale of eateries. 

I got PS for the NRL and internationals.  I watch lots of NRL matches and there are almost never any problems.  In fact I think the last time I watched an RL game on Premier when the signal did drop out was the Four Nations and that didn't last long.  It's what we get because PS relies on external feed unlike Sky which doesn't.  But Sky don't want to show NRL and internationals and PS do, so I'd rather put up with a very rare bit of interference and enjoy the vast majority of my rugby league than throw a hissy fit because a broadcaster that I know operates on a shoestring budget doesn't perform like one that makes millions in profits.

I say go back to the old days! Tuning your portable television to Yorkshire tv to get to watch scrum down at 10.30'on Sunday nights and no other games on tv except the odd challenge cup game!

Comparing Premier Sports to a restaurant is silly. If you want to make such comparisons then you'd need to use the local chippy because that's about where Premier Sports is on the scale of eateries.

I got PS for the NRL and internationals. I watch lots of NRL matches and there are almost never any problems. In fact I think the last time I watched an RL game on Premier when the signal did drop out was the Four Nations and that didn't last long. It's what we get because PS relies on external feed unlike Sky which doesn't. But Sky don't want to show NRL and internationals and PS do, so I'd rather put up with a very rare bit of interference and enjoy the vast majority of my rugby league than throw a hissy fit because a broadcaster that I know operates on a shoestring budget doesn't perform like one that makes millions in profits.

Fair point on the chippy comparison, in which case imagine they forgot your teacake/bread roll/balm cake/cob etc.

I also don't think it's a hissy fit and I won't be the only one who does the same. It's a relatively simple scheduling fix for PS to avoid missing end of games on sky+ yet they don't do it ergo they lose subscriptions.

Just on the whole, "it will have been a transmission problem from Aus" thing... I live in New Zealand and we took the same feed and received it on Sky sport but had no problem whatsoever. That suggests to me that it was Premiers fault. If it had been Fox Sports fault we would have lost the game too.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Just on the whole, "it will have been a transmission problem from Aus" thing... I live in New Zealand and we took the same feed and received it on Sky sport but had no problem whatsoever. That suggests to me that it was Premiers fault. If it had been Fox Sports fault we would have lost the game too.

Not necessarily. 

Fair point on the chippy comparison, in which case imagine they forgot your teacake/bread roll/balm cake/cob etc.

I also don't think it's a hissy fit and I won't be the only one who does the same. It's a relatively simple scheduling fix for PS to avoid missing end of games on sky+ yet they don't do it ergo they lose subscriptions.

I'm far more outraged at your spelling of barm cake :)

Not necessarily. 

Could have been direct cable transmission to NZ, but would have been satellite to the UK.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just how close do you think NZ is to Australia?...

I could ask a similar question of you in relation to your grasp of geography too!  After all, the UK is a long way from Australia but in the opposite direction to New Zealand and while satellites are quite a bit up in the sky, it is of course possible for atmosphere to interfere in one area and not another because weather varies across the globe for example.  Yet you seem to think that because something is received in NZ it will obviously be similarly received in the UK. 

The only thing in common that Premier shares with Fox is that its programmes are shown on a Sky channel.  They are also shown on Virgin over here.  Premier is a pay TV channel on top of our Sky or Virgin subscription and it rents airtime (or whatever you call it) from a third party transmission provider.  It is hard to say whether the difficulty comes from Premier or the third party or the original transmission but either way everybody knows that Premier is a cheap channel but it's a great channel for us to have because unlike in Australia hardly any rugby league is shown on TV over here.  More is shown than used to be shown prior to Sky's involvement but we would have much less of it without Premier Sports.  Moaning English rugby league fans undermine that position as Premier will be less inclined to show what it does show if moaning rugby league fans keep cancelling their subscription over nothing.

There is a trans-Tasman cable connection, and plans to upgrade it in the near future (fibre-optic, I expect).

The first transatlantic cable was in operation in the 19th century, so laying that kind of length on the sea bed isn't exactly cutting-edge tech.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is a trans-Tasman cable connection, and plans to upgrade it in the near future (fibre-optic, I expect).

The first transatlantic cable was in operation in the 19th century, so laying that kind of length on the sea bed isn't exactly cutting-edge tech.

This is Australia and New Zealand were talking about here! Technology is still in our equivalent of the 90's :lol:

Not to do with what we were talking about, but ADSL is the best form of Internet in Aus, and even then it's not unlimited, and the charge you $80/$90 a month for 100gb! I think you're giving them way too much credit for what can and can't be done down here :lol:

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

I'm far more outraged at your spelling of barm cake :)

Haha! I did wonder about that one. You want to try asking for a teacake in a chippy in Nottingham .......... they think your from another planet!

Moaning English rugby league fans undermine that position as Premier will be less inclined to show what it does show if moaning rugby league fans keep cancelling their subscription over nothing.

Or they might realise they need to improve their service ......

Archived