Wakefield Stadium

Mr. Carter felt that developer had not met it's legal obligations on building the stadium seem as how the development has advanced significantly especially with the building of a massive Cold store/warehouse.

As I read this it seems Wakey/Mr. Carter are saying the cold store/warehouse should trigger the stadium build as the original agreement was that once 60,000 sq,feet of warehousing was built York Court would build Wakey a stadium.

The council have quickly replied to point out that the massive cold store/warehouse had separate planning permission openly granted that did not make it part of the 60,000 sq.feet of warehousing in the original agreement, and that the trust at Wakefield were openly informed of this and they consequently placed no objections.

This all means that apparently as 60,000 sq.feet of other warehouses are not yet built York Court don't have to build the stadium yet. This raised the question whether such a big additional development prevents that warehousing being built and the answer to that is no, there is enough land to get to the 60K target - whether the developer will aim to go on to do that is another thing.

And may be the problem, which may be quite big!

Carter last week reported that he'd look to remove Wakefield to Doncaster or Barnsley and justified that as apparently it costs Wakey £250,000 a season to "maintain" Belle Vue - wether that is rent, maintenance, running costs or what I dunno. I suspect renting Donny and Barnsley will be costly too. His approach seems to be an appeal to "do something" for sport in the city of wakefield, against an original statement by the council that they could not help Wakey with money  because they's have to help Cas and Fev.

Any comments at all on this from those in the know?

Sums up my understanding of the situation. Just to add I don't think the council aren't helping because they would have to help others. They are broke and have been forced to make massive year on year savings - I don't think they have the capacity to do much.

The council have quickly replied to point out that the massive cold store/warehouse had separate planning permission openly granted that did not make it part of the 60,000 sq.feet of warehousing in the original agreement, and that the trust at Wakefield were openly informed of this and they consequently placed no objections.

From what I read, the planning process was open, but the implications were not. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Something smells very suspect.

The whole development was giving outline approval in 2012 with a 106 agreement stating that when the enabling development hits 60000 sq.m construction of the stadium must begin. The monstrosity that Newcold have built was approved under a separate planning application rather than a reserved matters application due to an increase in height from the original plans of 18m to 42m. At the time it was not clear that because it was submitted under a separate application that it would not contribute to the magic 60000sq.m.

What has happens since is that the council, who were in complete knowledge the application would not contribute to the target approved the plans. When challenged on this they advised that legal advice had been sought and they couldn't reject the plans. A freedom of information has been made to see this legal advice which has subsequently been rejected. Additionally, the council have told club and community trust representatives they do not have a copy of the legal advice in question nor who gave it to them, although I think it’s been now suggested that it was an in house planning lawyer.

It’s quite clear the developers have no intention of building a stadium. They used the community facilities to grease the planning wheels so they could build industrial units in classified greenbelt. WMDC have washed their hands of the situation by basically saying the agreement is between the trust and the developer, despite being the approving body of the new application. The council leader Peter Box is refusing outright to talk to the trust representatives to find a resolution and is indeed now threating them with legal action.

We are now left with a situation where a precedent has now been set. There is nothing to stop the developer from submitting a separate application which again will not contribute to the target. The council are on a major PR offensive to absolve themselves of any blame whatsoever.

The developer has got what they wanted, the council have got what they wanted, Wakefield Trinity, and the community, have not. A lot of people have questioned the council’s competence in all of this. I feel the real question is how complicit were WMDC this sorry affair.

Unfortunately because it’s seen primarily as a rugby stadium for a failing club most of the general public will be blasé to this shameful situation. Now had it been a school or hospital that had been promised then the public anger would bring those responsible to task.

What happens next I don’t know. Trinity may get BV bought back for them as a token gesture but with no funds to improve it. It is likely there will be no community facilities come from the development unless they council get off the fence and enforce them the developer.

To be fair that's kind of why is making a little bit if a wave now. Unfortunately labour will always be in control of Wakefield, even if the 2000 or Trinity supporters who are bothered by this vote en mass for the Tories/Lib Dems/UKIP.

Regardless of who ends up in power there will be no new stadium, this is about what can be salvaged from the deal.

Something smells very suspect.

The whole development was giving outline approval in 2012 with a 106 agreement stating that when the enabling development hits 60000 sq.m construction of the stadium must begin. The monstrosity that Newcold have built was approved under a separate planning application rather than a reserved matters application due to an increase in height from the original plans of 18m to 42m. At the time it was not clear that because it was submitted under a separate application that it would not contribute to the magic 60000sq.m.

What has happens since is that the council, who were in complete knowledge the application would not contribute to the target approved the plans. When challenged on this they advised that legal advice had been sought and they couldn't reject the plans. A freedom of information has been made to see this legal advice which has subsequently been rejected. Additionally, the council have told club and community trust representatives they do not have a copy of the legal advice in question nor who gave it to them, although I think it’s been now suggested that it was an in house planning lawyer.

It’s quite clear the developers have no intention of building a stadium. They used the community facilities to grease the planning wheels so they could build industrial units in classified greenbelt. WMDC have washed their hands of the situation by basically saying the agreement is between the trust and the developer, despite being the approving body of the new application. The council leader Peter Box is refusing outright to talk to the trust representatives to find a resolution and is indeed now threating them with legal action.

We are now left with a situation where a precedent has now been set. There is nothing to stop the developer from submitting a separate application which again will not contribute to the target. The council are on a major PR offensive to absolve themselves of any blame whatsoever.

The developer has got what they wanted, the council have got what they wanted, Wakefield Trinity, and the community, have not. A lot of people have questioned the council’s competence in all of this. I feel the real question is how complicit were WMDC this sorry affair.

Unfortunately because it’s seen primarily as a rugby stadium for a failing club most of the general public will be blasé to this shameful situation. Now had it been a school or hospital that had been promised then the public anger would bring those responsible to task.

What happens next I don’t know. Trinity may get BV bought back for them as a token gesture but with no funds to improve it. It is likely there will be no community facilities come from the development unless they council get off the fence and enforce them the developer.

Genuinely feel for you - an awful situation

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

As a fev fan i fear for cas too theres a long way to go before they get theres too ?? Hope it works out for both clubs and not just faulse promises for developers to get the go ahead for there plans

I've spoken to someone involved in the five towns project and he's said there are a fair few businesses who have signed up for the development so it may have more legs than Newmarket.

I think having Peter Box as its champion gives it the one leg it requires.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

It's a disgrace what's happening with the Wakefield Community Stadium. A development that wouldn't have got planning without the Stadium a 106 agreement in place to allow this and yet the council allowing the developer to build the biggest warehouses on separate planning nothing to do with the 206 agreement. I don't know how this has been allowed to happen but it shows a lack of commitment to the community stadium by Wakefield Council.

Bit more on this from someone well involved:

For some clarity:

The site is divided in 3 principal areas:

1. The stadium site which remains in GB

2. The B8 development land which is removed from GB

3. The A3, A1, Hotel & Restaurant site which remains in GB

It would seem that WMDC believe that Anyone can develop on the B8 land without reference to the 106 - a point we strongly contest - even if the original OPP lapses. This land is re-designated and can be applied for new PP quite reasonably, albeit we still maintain that there is a land charge on this area.

The Stadium site and the remaining areas can on,y be developed under the original OPP. If the developer does not follow the original OPP and the conditions set, he will lose this area and it will return to GB and will be very difficult to remove from it, just leaving an industrial estate on the former colliery land.

IF he considers the Stadium issue to be too big to fund, he could sacrifice the remainder of the site and just accept the profit he can realise from the B8 land and no more. I'm not saying he will do this, but he might, and this is all brought about by the disaggregation of the site - via a loophole that WMDC claim to have taken legal advice over for which we were told does not exist but is now referenced by Neil Rodgers who was not there at the time! Either Neil has seen something we have been told does not exist OR it still doesn't exist as formal legal advice! Which is it? A further FOI has been submitted.

Yes, isn't it odd that the 5 Towns Development will apparently have no effect on Cas' town centre but an Aldi and B&M over the road would?

To be fair I don't think the likes of Next or M&S will trouble the kind of demographic who choose to shop in Cas town centre.

To be fair I don't think the likes of Next or M&S will trouble the kind of demographic who choose to shop in Cas town centre.

Not unless they open an extensive 99p section or move into the world of pawnbroking.

To be fair that's kind of why is making a little bit if a wave now. Unfortunately labour will always be in control of Wakefield, even if the 2000 or Trinity supporters who are bothered by this vote en mass for the Tories/Lib Dems/UKIP.

Regardless of who ends up in power there will be no new stadium, this is about what can be salvaged from the deal.

Theirs one of the problems of local democracy or lack of democracy given I guess people just vote what they always vote ignoring or taking no notice of anything that goes on.  Whatever flavour of local authority it just creates a fiefdom for that particular party.  Doncaster being another prime example although for different reasons.

I guess people get what they deserve given the majority just vote and take no interest what-so-ever then moan and groan and blame somebody else.

To be fair I don't think the likes of Next or M&S will trouble the kind of demographic who choose to shop in Cas town centre

So, the 'development' isn't for the majority of the Cas populace? Looks like you agree with me that the only winners in this are CTRLFC and the Developers, not the community at large.

• 1 month later...

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats will today serve 6 months notice to depart Belle Vue. The current rent situation means the club cannot be sustained at BV and they will seek to agree the use of alternative facilities outside of Wakefield. It is now vital that we make rapid and tangible steps towards our goal of making Newmarket a reality.

Risky move for me. The club are no where near well supported enough to spend an unspecified length of time outside of the city. The developer who is sniffing around will surely swoop in a purchase the ground and the neighbouring buildings leaving the club with no home.

I suppose all this begs the question. Is the old girl iconic enough?

It's not a question of iconic with belle vue. The stadium isn't fit for purpose, is degrading quickly, is expensive to maintain and struggles to attract people.

Wakefield need a new strevuilt or a rebuilt belle vue. A purchase/leaseback via the rfl wouldn't even really be kicking the problem down the road.

not great news at all

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

So, the 'development' isn't for the majority of the Cas populace? Looks like you agree with me that the only winners in this are CTRLFC and the Developers, not the community at large.

Sorry it is stadium will be used by all Ponty collage working in the ground there going be a country park and the shops there is loads for Cas and people from outside cas

I really hope wakie do get sorted.

Archived