France Academy U18s 35-34 England Academy U18s

If anything convinced me about the presence of Catalans Dragons in Super League it was this effort this afternoon in Carcassonne. A dozen Dragons Academy lads against the cream across the Channel. 12 points behind after just a couple of minutes it looked like a massacre to happen. But did the French dig in.

Behind at the break 20-22 but with a strong wind behind dominated the second period; it was only a couple of opportunistic scores that got England back infront but a penalty goal sealed it at the death for France. Well deserved. A definate statement for sure.Something moved today.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

If anything convinced me about the presence of Catalans Dragons in Super League it was this effort this afternoon in Carcassonne. A dozen Dragons Academy lads against the cream across the Channel. 12 points behind after just a couple of minutes it looked like a massacre to happen. But did the French dig in.

Behind at the break 20-22 but with a strong wind behind dominated the second period; it was only a couple of opportunistic scores that got England back infront but a penalty goal sealed at the death for France. Well deserved. A definate statement for sure.Something moved today.

Good comeback. If there are any highlights etc. posted online, let us know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thé french were unlucky to lose last year lost by a last minute try after having a player sin binned in the last 5 mins,

It's been like this for years in junior rl, I help out with lezignan rugby school and there's a lot of talent coming through!

The revelation yesterday was the stand off Albert with what 1 try, 5 goals and a drop goal. Carcassonne boy now based in Perpignan and playing for the Dragons U19s and yet played in the internationals across the Channel for France U16s against English Schoolboys last month. Was I think MOTM in the second Test which France won. His all round game impressive - passing, running at the line and kicking. Second half short kicking game exceptional forcing repeated line drops and took the wind out of Englands sails. Albert now trains alongside the likes of Carney and Dureau at Brutus so is in the right place.

Looking at the build of the players England bigger across the 17 but France to me starting slowly to match up in that area. They had possibly the best forward out there in Avignon's Goudemand who ploughed forward all afternoon.

A decade back the French youngsters measured themselves against BARLA formations and Australian Institute Sports sides - today its SL Academy and Australian Schoolbys. Its only a start with the Catalans U19s hardly out of the starting blocks but they're making progress certainly on yesterdays evidence.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

So France U18s beat England Academy. England Academy beat Australian Schoolboys and the Australian Schoolboys beat New Zealand Schoolboys... based upon that then France are the U18s World Champions?

Now whilst I've incredibly over simplified everything there, the result for the French in U18s and U16s earlier in the year is massive for the growth of the game in the country.

Honestly we need to work out how we make sure as many of these players aren't lost and getting them into Super League, Championship, NRL, NSW Cup, Queensland Cup or keeping them in Elite 1.

If over the next 5 years we can make France a competitive International nation again it opens up so many opportunities for the code, especially in England

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Now whilst I've incredibly over simplified everything there, the result for the French in U18s and U16s earlier in the year is massive for the growth of the game in the country.

Honestly we need to work out how we make sure as many of these players aren't lost and getting them into Super League, Championship, NRL, NSW Cup, Queensland Cup or keeping them in Elite 1.

Brilliant result for the French. I hope this continues and makes the RFL and clubs to wake up and realise the potential across the water in France. With changes likely in the Southern Hemisphere seemingly likely, we need to buy into this as well as clearly there is potential there.

The revelation yesterday was the stand off Albert with what 1 try, 5 goals and a drop goal. Carcassonne boy now based in Perpignan and playing for the Dragons U19s and yet played in the internationals across the Channel for France U16s against English Schoolboys last month. Was I think MOTM in the second Test which France won. His all round game impressive - passing, running at the line and kicking. Second half short kicking game exceptional forcing repeated line drops and took the wind out of Englands sails. Albert now trains alongside the likes of Carney and Dureau at Brutus so is in the right place.

Looking at the build of the players England bigger across the 17 but France to me starting slowly to match up in that area. They had possibly the best forward out there in Avignon's Goudemand who ploughed forward all afternoon.

A decade back the French youngsters measured themselves against BARLA formations and Australian Institute Sports sides - today its SL Academy and Australian Schoolbys. Its only a start with the Catalans U19s hardly out of the starting blocks but they're making progress certainly on yesterdays evidence.

Sounds like that there are some great prospects coming through for the French at u16 and u18 levels. Do the French juniors ever travel to australia or NZ?

IF common sense is to prevail... and surely it must eventually, even NRL has finally seen the light on internationals! Toulouse needs to at least be admitted directly to the championship playing the like of Leigh, Bradford, Halifax,  Sheffield and London. with Toulouse in the championship with a 2nd french academy side based in Toulouse. It would strengthen French Rugby league, increase the super league playing pool to recruit from, European rugby league and world rugby league a a result.

Sounds like that there are some great prospects coming through for the French at u16 and u18 levels. Do the French juniors ever travel to australia or NZ?

Certainly Remi Casty toured there once with a junior side but at least a decade back from what I remember. They hot-house from what they've got; but they some how have got to get the reservoir bigger.Mick Aldous the Australian who was briefly engaged by the Federation again going back some years identified this problem. Need more teams at U16s-U18s.

Winger Fouad Yaha should have played yesterday but is included in the Dragons line up against Featherstone this afternoon. Yet another lad from Avignon area and the youngest ever to debut for Catalans in SL at 18 yrs and a few months.

Brilliant result for the French. I hope this continues and makes the RFL and clubs to wake up and realise the potential across the water in France. With changes likely in the Southern Hemisphere seemingly likely, we need to buy into this as well as clearly there is potential there.

Get Toulouse in the championship, have France play England every year in France and get the French juniors to tour down under to Australia and NZ every other year.

Get Toulouse in the championship, have France play England every year in France and get the French juniors to tour down under to Australia and NZ every other year.

I've said it elsewhere but the integration of Catalan into SL is the model we should be using for Toulouse, not the Championship route which is a proven failure as demonstrated a few short years ago. Toulouse need to be playing clubs like Leeds and Wigan to build interest, not Featherstone and Sheffield.

geordie i agree with you but having toulouse in super league a la les catalans is just probly to much common sense to ask for from the powers that be, championship seems more likely at least now in championship you have the ability to be full time pro side if you have the funding. Championship 1 total waste of time for any french side the french elite 1 is a better comp!

Hope uk based super league sides & nrl sides look to france for talent a bit more after some good results from french youth sides recently 

So France U18s beat England Academy. England Academy beat Australian Schoolboys and the Australian Schoolboys beat New Zealand Schoolboys... based upon that then France are the U18s World Champions?

If over the next 5 years we can make France a competitive International nation again it opens up so many opportunities for the code, especially in England

France U18s beat Australian Schoolboys in 2012.

Lucas Albert is a huge prospect. He's a U16, playing with France U18 and Catalans U19. He's technically impressive and there's plenty of space to work with.

Good to see France producing talented backs as well as forwards. Do the French rugby league have any development program's in the big cities of Toulouse, marseille, Lyon, Bordeaux etc?

I remember some years back Toulouse arriving in Carcassonne with only 9 Juniors to play an U21s fixture. This year I understand that they are running with two sides at this age group - in fact yesterday their 'B' team won their competition.

France U18s Group was:

ALBERT LucasDragons Catalans U19

BELMAS Lambert – Dragons Catalans U19

CASTANY Bruno – Dragons Catalans U19

DA COSTA Alrix – Dragons Catalans U19

DENIS Christopher – Albi RL

DEZARIA Jordan – Dragons Catalans U19

FERRET Etienne – FC Lézignan

GOUDEMAND Mickaël – SO Avignon

IZARD Paul – Dragons Catalans U19

JULLIEN Fabien – SO Avignon

MARGUERITTE Gavin – TO XIII

MARIA Franck – Dragons Catalans U19

N’ZOUNGOU Levy – TO XIII

NIETCHE-CORONES Sébastien – Dragons Catalans U19

POMIE Nicolas – Lescure

QUEMENER Quentin – Dragons Catalans U19

ROMANO Arthur – Dragons Catalans U19

SEGUIER Paul – Dragons Catalans U19

EDF-U18-HS_zps3myfbdao.jpg

We defo need a under 20s world cup...be awesome that.

Good shout this. We have seen some really competitive u18 series recently with the French up there with the big three nations. Throw in the Pacific nations with all the juniors coming through in the NRL and you have all the ingredients for a strong u 20's world cup.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I remember some years back Toulouse arriving in Carcassonne with only 9 Juniors to play an U21s fixture. This year I understand that they are running with two sides at this age group - in fact yesterday their 'B' team won their competition.

France U18s Group was:

ALBERT LucasDragons Catalans U19

BELMAS Lambert – Dragons Catalans U19

CASTANY Bruno – Dragons Catalans U19

DA COSTA Alrix – Dragons Catalans U19

DENIS Christopher – Albi RL

DEZARIA Jordan – Dragons Catalans U19

FERRET Etienne – FC Lézignan

GOUDEMAND Mickaël – SO Avignon

IZARD Paul – Dragons Catalans U19

JULLIEN Fabien – SO Avignon

MARGUERITTE Gavin – TO XIII

MARIA Franck – Dragons Catalans U19

N’ZOUNGOU Levy – TO XIII

NIETCHE-CORONES Sébastien – Dragons Catalans U19

POMIE Nicolas – Lescure

QUEMENER Quentin – Dragons Catalans U19

ROMANO Arthur – Dragons Catalans U19

SEGUIER Paul – Dragons Catalans U19

EDF-U18-HS_zps3myfbdao.jpg

Great stuff, they look like proud treizistes !!!

That's because they're playing with the senior clubs. Higher standard than the Academy. 

Saw N'Zoungoun from Toulouse playing against ASC in Elite 1 earlier. Think too front rower Goudemand and scrum half Jullien have played in the seniors at Avignion. Ferret full back for Lezignan earlier in the Academy at Salford may be.

I think with less emphasis now on overseas players these kids are getting their chances earlier in senior football. Mick Potter when he was at the Dragons commented how much older French players where before debuting at first grade. Somethings changing with that here now slowly.

Archived