Feigning Injury

Pertty much everyone (except the RFL is seems) have cottoned on to Hendersons feigning of injuries to buy time for the Dragons. Every drop out he mysteriously develops cramp, and every opportunity he gets he goes down clutching his head when the opposition are attacking their line so the Ref has no option but to stop the game which allows them to set their defensive line.

Another incident happened in the Hull V Saints game on Friday night that seems to have taken things a step further. A Hull player went down with a leg injury and the Ref just let the game play on with Saints now deep in Hull teritory and in good attacking position with Hull a man short. The Hull physio came on quickly looked at the leg and then went to hold the players head & signalled the officials that it was a head injury. As soon as the Ref stopped play he then went straight back to treating the leg injury meaning Saints had lost all momentum and Hull could get 13 men back into the defensive line.

I know Barry Mac has said this is just a bit of 'gamesmanship' but for me its just plain cheating and if the RFL dont clamp down on it now we'll end up with another 'bloodgate' like they had in union a few years ago.

Personally i'd like to see players banned for this kind of play and clubs heavily fined & threated with points deductions if their on field staff like Physio's do this sort of thing.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Taking time at drop outs and acting injured or like you've got cramp annoys me. Gaskell did it on Saturday vs Halifax, but then again he may have been still feeling the effects of a finger to the hip that bizarrely put him on his backside after a kick.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

This disorder seems to affect most teams in minutes 76-80 when they are about 1-6 points ahead. Every player seems to bizzarely get injured before the ptb. I think in that instance it's more gamesmanship than what the OP describes, as it's rare a medic comes on for those fake injuries.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I think that is a fairly serious accusation from toppy - i'd like to see a video of that. I am not saying that toppy is a liar, i jsut don't want to believe that would happen in RL! As for the cramp (especially at drop outs) the ref should just say that someone else has to kick it, or a yellow for the captain. Easy. After all, every other phase of play continues if a player has a minor injury.

I think that is a fairly serious accusation from toppy - i'd like to see a video of that. I am not saying that toppy is a liar, i jsut don't want to believe that would happen in RL! As for the cramp (especially at drop outs) the ref should just say that someone else has to kick it, or a yellow for the captain. Easy. After all, every other phase of play continues if a player has a minor injury.

I couldn't see who the Hull player was but they limped off the field with what looked like a leg / hip injury, there was definately no sign of any head injury at all. The play was 40 odd yards upfield from where he was being treated so there was no need for the Ref to stop the game because they were likely to get in the way of play.

About 25 years ago I went to watch Hornets Alliance side play at Hemel in the Alliance cup. Playing in the Hornets side that day was a former top flight pro with a well-respected career - including time in the NSWRL -  behind him. Hornets had scraped a side together that day from local amateurs and kids, with a member of the backroom staff AND the CEO on the bench to make up numbers. After about 70 minutes it was tight with Hornets just in front and said player went down in a heap after a tackle. Hornets physio Steve Hardman ran on concerned. 'What is it X? he asked. X replied 'Take your time Steve, I'm just having a breather."

It's nowt new. Old heads have always done it to take the momentum out of a game.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

I couldn't see who the Hull player was but they limped off the field with what looked like a leg / hip injury, there was definately no sign of any head injury at all. The play was 40 odd yards upfield from where he was being treated so there was no need for the Ref to stop the game because they were likely to get in the way of play.

Curtis Naughton was feigning injury to such an extent that he had to leave the field and took no further part in the game. He fell extremely heavily after the collision with Turner. Injuries aren't mutually exclusive, how can you possibly know that the physio wasn't genuinely concerned that he had also suffered a head knock when he hit the ground? The referee did let play continue for another two or three tackles but called a halt when the injury looked serious enough to force the player from the field. It's the sensible thing to do and it's what usually happens. You seem to be complaining that it wasn't fair that Saints weren't allowed to attack for a full set against a short handed defence.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Curtis Naughton was feigning injury to such an extent that he had to leave the field and took no further part in the game. He fell extremely heavily after the collision with Turner. Injuries aren't mutually exclusive, how can you possibly know that the physio wasn't genuinely concerned that he had also suffered a head knock when he hit the ground? The referee did let play continue for another two or three tackles but called a halt when the injury looked serious enough to force the player from the field. It's the sensible thing to do and it's what usually happens. You seem to be complaining that it wasn't fair that Saints weren't allowed to attack for a full set against a short handed defence.

I never said the player was feigning injury but it was clear it was a leg injury and definately not any sort of head injury.

The referee is only supposed to stop the game for a head injury or if the injured player is interfering in the play, otherwise he is supposed to let play continue until there is a natural break in play. The Hull player was 40 odd yards upfield and had a leg injury so the game should have continued while the physio gave treatment in back play.

It appeared very much that it was the Hull Physio who was signalling to the officials that it was a head injury to get the game stopped, even though it clearly wasn't.

Players are usually clever enough to get injured offside and you can't restart the game until all players are onside.

I never said the player was feigning injury but it was clear it was a leg injury and definately not any sort of head injury.

The referee is only supposed to stop the game for a head injury or if the injured player is interfering in the play, otherwise he is supposed to let play continue until there is a natural break in play. The Hull player was 40 odd yards upfield and had a leg injury so the game should have continued while the physio gave treatment in back play.

It appeared very much that it was the Hull Physio who was signalling to the officials that it was a head injury to get the game stopped, even though it clearly wasn't.

I understand the point you're trying to make but you started a topic entitled 'Feigning Injury' then proceeded to talk about a player who clearly wasn't. Seems a little unfair to me.

It wasn't a leg injury that he went off with. Given that you weren't aware of that you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little bit sceptical about your ability to perform an accurate diagnosis from your seat in the stand. ;)

The player went down injured. It soon became apparent he needed to be taken from the field for treatment. The ref stopped the play a couple of tackles later. It's a complete non-issue as far as I can see.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The one in the nrl annoys me , any clumsy tackle or the slightest touch of the head or any tackle that has a chance of the video ref having a look at it the player stays down!

yep, big flaw in the system that one, and was the most frustrating aspect of rlwc for me when they used the same rule.

I wish we would ban physios / water carriers / tacticians from running onto the field, during play. Too much bending of the rules goes on nowadays, the idea that players need hydrating constantly is rediculous. If it's a serious head injury it normally gets spotted straight away, usually by fellow players.

You can't legislate for any head injury, but if we brought a rule in, that that player could not take part in the rest of the game for 20 mins. Then we might eliminate examples such as above, it also allows the docs to examine the player, if it is a genuine case, and give proper duty of care to all players.

If an opposition player has caused an offence, then a 2 match automatic ban; unless proven otherwise. This hopefully can help to curb some of our regular 'high shot' players; and exercise proper technique.

I wish we would ban physios / water carriers / tacticians from running onto the field, during play. Too much bending of the rules goes on nowadays, the idea that players need hydrating constantly is rediculous. If it's a serious head injury it normally gets spotted straight away, usually by fellow players.

You can't legislate for any head injury, but if we brought a rule in, that that player could not take part in the rest of the game for 20 mins. Then we might eliminate examples such as above, it also allows the docs to examine the player, if it is a genuine case, and give proper duty of care to all players.

If an opposition player has caused an offence, then a 2 match automatic ban; unless proven otherwise. This hopefully can help to curb some of our regular 'high shot' players; and exercise proper technique.

There was a clash of heads in the Canberra v Canterbury game at the weekend. The Canberra physio signalled for a head injury (ironically a pat of the physios head) and his player came straight off. The Canterbury physio simply gave his player a quick once over and tried to get him back into the game immediately but was overruled by an official in the stands. Any clash of heads in the NRL results in both players leaving the pitch to be checked over before a decision on their ability to continue is made.

rldfsignature.jpg

I understand the point you're trying to make but you started a topic entitled 'Feigning Injury' then proceeded to talk about a player who clearly wasn't. Seems a little unfair to me.

In this instance I was referring to the Hull physio as the one doing the feigning of a head injury to a player when it was clear the injury was to another part of the body and not the head. No suggestion that Naughton was feigning any sort of injury (unlike Henderson does on a regular basis) as he clearly wasn't, it just wasn't his head and so the Ref should have allowed play to continue until there was a natural break in play.

I too am totally fed up with this sort of thing creeping into the game. I have said it before on here, slowly but surely some of the negative football traits are coming into our game.

I think it would be foolish to say that on odd occasions most players from most teams have, for generations, not had a moment of ‘gamesmanship’ however it is becoming so prevalent now it’s starting to affect the game for the worse.

People will think I am deliberately picking on Wigan, especially being a Rhinos fan, but I honestly believe Shaun Wane has contributed hugely to this problem. The sad thing is it worked for him and consequently it’s started a chain reaction whereby others are starting to copy.

Five years ago it was very very rare to hear a head coach complaining about anything other than his own team, fast forward to present day and SW is moaning about something almost every time a camera is put in front of him.
His team go out onto the field and they follow his mantra, this comes in various guises but all variants of professional cheating in one form or another.

I wish Leeds signed Sam Tomkins, great player, but most will remember his incessant holding of the defenders arms trying to con the officials into awarding a penalty. This type of thing is coached.

IMO, just like backchat is policed quite well so should this sort of gamesmanship including feigning injury. It would eradicate the problem within a few rounds. The same goes for whinging coaches.

Just get back to no no-nonsense RL. Not in our sport thank you here’s 10 minutes or if caught retrospectively a games ban.

I too am totally fed up with this sort of thing creeping into the game. I have said it before on here, slowly but surely some of the negative football traits are coming into our game.

I think it would be foolish to say that on odd occasions most players from most teams have, for generations, not had a moment of ‘gamesmanship’ however it is becoming so prevalent now it’s starting to affect the game for the worse.

People will think I am deliberately picking on Wigan, especially being a Rhinos fan, but I honestly believe Shaun Wane has contributed hugely to this problem. The sad thing is it worked for him and consequently it’s started a chain reaction whereby others are starting to copy.

Five years ago it was very very rare to hear a head coach complaining about anything other than his own team, fast forward to present day and SW is moaning about something almost every time a camera is put in front of him.

His team go out onto the field and they follow his mantra, this comes in various guises but all variants of professional cheating in one form or another.

I wish Leeds signed Sam Tomkins, great player, but most will remember his incessant holding of the defenders arms trying to con the officials into awarding a penalty. This type of thing is coached.

IMO, just like backchat is policed quite well so should this sort of gamesmanship including feigning injury. It would eradicate the problem within a few rounds. The same goes for whinging coaches.

Just get back to no no-nonsense RL. Not in our sport thank you here’s 10 minutes or if caught retrospectively a games ban.

Two things I have picked out in your post. Firstly, where on earth were you five years ago? This isn't anything new. Coaches have always whinged about things out of there control.

Secondly, if you are trying to say Sam Tomkins was coached by Wane to hold a defending player down then you would be wrong as it was only under McGuire that Tomkins did this. It more or less stopped when Wane came in.

Patwigaw

if you are trying to say Sam Tomkins was coached by Wane to hold a defending player down then you would be wrong as it was only under McGuire that Tomkins did this. It more or less stopped when Wane came in.

Hmmm....then why do several Wigan players continue to employ this tactic including his younger brother Logan ?

Hmmm....then why do several Wigan players continue to employ this tactic including his younger brother Logan ?

No more then any other team, but certain people wouldn't have you believe that. Logan hardly ever plays, it is a rare sighting to actually see him on a rugby field.

Patwigaw

Come on 7723, you must know by now that Wigan (and in particular SW) are responsible for all bad things in RL. No one ever complained about the ref, cheated the ref, committed a high tackle or hit any one before the scourge on the game of RL that is SW appeared...

http://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/2355.php?includeref=dynamic&filter=yes&searchinit=&searchteam=&searchname=&searchyear=2015&searchdecade=&layout=&order=caps#.VWXi3U9Viko

In this instance I was referring to the Hull physio as the one doing the feigning of a head injury to a player when it was clear the injury was to another part of the body and not the head. No suggestion that Naughton was feigning any sort of injury (unlike Henderson does on a regular basis) as he clearly wasn't, it just wasn't his head and so the Ref should have allowed play to continue until there was a natural break in play.

I'll have to take your word for it as I didn't see the physio make that signal. I was pretty close to the incident and the only signal I saw was the physio indicating to the Hull bench that Naughton wasn't fit to continue which was pretty much when the ref stopped play.

Archived