English born-Irish-Welsh-Scottish qualified

im geting a bit fed up of players chopping and changing nationalitys....Ben currie is the next player on the English radar....I jus wanted to see /hear /read people's views on this ....also wether you are Scottish-Irish-Welsh pick your best qualified team ...I.e.....even if they are playing for England still -Irish-scot-Welsh qualified team....cheers..should be interesting

Seeing as I suggested it here's my Ireland wolfhounds best 13....1.grix.2mcnally.3ben currie.4chris bridge 5.jack Murphy 6.liam Finn 7.gareth o brien 8.kyle amor 9.micky Mac 10.mullaly .11.liam Farrell .12 eamonn o carroll.13 Sean o loughlin

This thread reminds me of the time when someone tried picking a jamaica side and selected all the black players they could from super league lol

Do all the players you've selected,with "irish names" actually qualify for via the parent or grandparent rule ?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

im geting a bit fed up of players chopping and changing nationalitys....Ben currie is the next player on the English radar....I jus wanted to see /hear /read people's views on this ....also wether you are Scottish-Irish-Welsh pick your best qualified team ...I.e.....even if they are playing for England still -Irish-scot-Welsh qualified team....cheers..should be interesting

How much money did the Irish Rugby League contribute to his development?

How much of their free time did Irish Rugby League coaches spend coaching him as a schoolboy?

Lets not forget the Paul McCartney song along the lines of "Ireland for the Irish"

Seeing as I suggested it here's my Ireland wolfhounds best 13....1.grix.2mcnally.3ben currie.4chris bridge 5.jack Murphy 6.liam Finn 7.gareth o brien 8.kyle amor 9.micky Mac 10.mullaly .11.liam Farrell .12 eamonn o carroll.13 Sean o loughlin

That would be the Kyle Amor who turned down a game for Ireland to play for, and captain Cumbria? Think that probably indicates what he considers himself to be

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

For the record...ive not got a problem with english lads,or aussie lads for that matter,playing for ireland....heritage players for the dozen teams below nz,oz and england are going to be the foundation of these teams for a generation or two...

Let you all into a secret..barrie mac stopped playing for ireland the week after the nathan fien "grannygate" broke back in 2006...ireland where playing a RLWCQ game a week after nathan fien got found out and nz got docked tri nations points....it wasn't a coincidence...if you know what im saying...nudge nudge wink wink

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

For the record...ive not got a problem with english lads,or aussie lads for that matter,playing for ireland....heritage players for the dozen teams below nz,oz and england are going to be the foundation of these teams for a generation or two...

Let you all into a secret..barrie mac stopped playing for ireland the week after the nathan fien "grannygate" broke back in 2006...ireland where playing a RLWCQ game a week after nathan fien got found out and nz got docked tri nations points....it wasn't a coincidence...if you know what im saying...nudge nudge wink wink

I don't have a problem with heritage players either, in fact I welcome them in order to make the international scene a lot more competitive and when the whole squad buys into the concept, such as Scotland in the world cup, then it works really well.

I'd prefer player not changing allegiances, maybe that's the price we have to pay to keep the heritage rule functioning but lets not kid ourselves that the likes of Amor consider themselves Irish - hence my example above. England if they pick him won't be stealing Ben Currie, though I don't know, I'd guess the likes of Currie who have the potential to play international rugby for England (or others playing for NZ/Aus) would not choose a minor nation if it were 1 country for life

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

How do you define Scotland as a success at the World Cup? Obviously they won some games, but did so with almost no Scotland born players, did media coverage and the amateur game benefit significantly?

For me a few heritage players are fine and possibly needed to make games competitive. They may also help raise the level of other players, but without some local players the media won't buy in, it doesn't encourage local players and leaves the international game open to attack.

This is not a slant on anyone..English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish ..it's jus a bit of fun and a topic that seems to be brought up now and again....If I was English /Welsh/Scottish/Irish ...I would not play for a country that I did not have any connection with.....which I take most people would agree with...now the tricky/sticky situation that is arising is that players play for one country come into form and then play for "the better team/country".....it's a very tongue in cheek attitude.....Ben currie was brought up in England ,he played underage league with England because he was selected ...Ireland do not have an underage set up at 14/15/16:17..but have at 19's....if he was selected for the under 19's and refused then he should not qualify for Ireland....and that is my point ......I don't want to hear this mullarky about "oh he was brought up in the English system"...that's just horsecrap to use that as an excuse for him to be English only....

That would be the Kyle Amor who turned down a game for Ireland to play for, and captain Cumbria? Think that probably indicates what he considers himself to be

.....look I picked a best possible team of Irish qualified /heritage players...did Kyle play for Ireland .....yes.....that's why he was selected .....never said what he considers himself pal..jus that he qualified for Ireland....

my view, is that once a player has chosen to represent an emerging nation ( one of the home countries,pacific islands, italy,serbia, etc) then he should have to stick with that nation throughout his career, not use it as a stepping stone for AUS,ENG,NZ.

on the other hand, if a player is selected to to represent one of the major nations, then, like, civinoceva for example, he can then represent his "heritage" nation once his "international career is over".

The problem there is that we shouldn't be trying to divide it into major nations and heritage nations, if we have one nation for life then we don't end up with this impregnable hierarchy.

...100%....follow along the lines of soccer

Similar to chris Morley and Dave Halley at a later date for us lot; iirc Halley span a line about playing for England.

Only just discovered this but here is Sean O'Loughlin talking about how proud he is to be English.

http://www.weareengland.org/home/news/english-and-proud?returnlink=home/news%3fsitesectionid%3d115%26sitesectiontitle%3dNews

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Archived