Have we just made it simple for the top 4/5 clubs to dominate?

Forget the middle 8 relegation debate and let's just look at it from the top 4/5 clubs point of view. Okay, so we have effectively given the likes of Wigan, Leeds and Saints some more bumper home games each year against the top 8 eight clubs which should top up gate income nicely and give them more TV exposure for sponsors.

Not only that, we have made the decision of a top class player to join them over a "6-12 club" much more straight forward - they may not want the uncertainty of which competition they will be playing in during August/September. We are already seeing that now to a certain extent but this will grow.

Not only that, we have created a World Club series which will generate more prestige, income and signing pull for those top clubs each year

Not only that, we have given them a marquee signing (restricted by club turnover) which pretty much only they can exercise to potentially buy a world class player and strengthen their roster further.

Not only that, we have created a system which gives them a 'bye' in the Challenge Cup early stages - increasing the chances of one or both of the top 4/5 clubs reaching the final each year. Less rounds, less early all SL match-ups.

While we are distracted watching the goldfish bowl that is the middle 8s and jeopardy over the next 2/3 years, keep a close eye on what is going on at the top as they consolidate their strength, and by default, see the gap widen as a consequence. Cas are flying the flag for the underdogs but this will be the exception rather than the rule IMO. 

Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly looking forward to how the middle-8 competition plays out. There looks to be some exciting match-ups and I would love Leigh or Bradford to squeeze through this time. But you can't get away from the fact that while the middle-8 are fighting it out - the big boys are laughing all the way to the top (and the bank).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed in full.

...But don't worry Scubby, keep it warm, we're on our way.

:superman:

The bizarre thing is that many I speak to are really looking forward to those middle 8s - me included! It is an exciting form of car crash TV meets musical chairs. The quiet damage each year must take place at the top where those big boys must be laughing like a Multi-national supermarket watching a corner shop price war.

The bizarre thing is that many I speak to are really looking forward to those middle 8s - me included! It is an exciting form of car crash TV meets musical chairs. The quiet damage each year must take place at the top where those big boys must be laughing like a Multi-national supermarket watching a corner shop price war.

So where do you split the sport ?

I guess the counter argument might go like this: How long should the strong competitive clubs be held back in the vain hope that Wakey will one day catch up?

Can't disagree with any of that....the new system is predominantly to make the top clubs stronger.

As for P&R it's probably harder to get promoted now.

However for me the old licensing system was boring and this is much better despite it's faults.

The gap between the bigger richer clubs and the rest will always be there regardless........I can't see this new format making it bigger.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

So your solution is ?

To me, if you are having this system it cannot all be sorted by mid-to-late September. There are literally no players around for any of those 4 clubs to strengthen. Richie Mylers, Zeb Taias, Frank Pritchards, Chris Sandows are all long gone - the top 6-8 clubs have pretty much filled their roster for 2016 before the middle 8s have got underway. Good NRL players won't hang around to see if Wakefield can get whooped by Leigh in the 4/5 match.

This provides fantastic entertainment for viewers but the top 4/5 SL giants are laughing in the long run.

Forget the middle 8 relegation debate and let's just look at it from the top 4/5 clubs point of view. Okay, so we have effectively given the likes of Wigan, Leeds and Saints some more bumper home games each year against the top 8 eight clubs which should top up gate income nicely and give them more TV exposure for sponsors.

Not only that, we have made the decision of a top class player to join them over a "6-12 club" much more straight forward - they may not want the uncertainty of which competition they will be playing in during August/September. We are already seeing that now to a certain extent but this will grow.

Not only that, we have created a World Club series which will generate more prestige, income and signing pull for those top clubs each year

Not only that, we have given them a marquee signing (restricted by club turnover) which pretty much only they can exercise to potentially buy a world class player and strengthen their roster further.

Not only that, we have created a system which gives them a 'bye' in the Challenge Cup early stages - increasing the chances of one or both of the top 4/5 clubs reaching the final each year. Less rounds, less early all SL match-ups.

While we are distracted watching the goldfish bowl that is the middle 8s and jeopardy over the next 2/3 years, keep a close eye on what is going on at the top as they consolidate their strength, and by default, see the gap widen as a consequence. Cas are flying the flag for the underdogs but this will be the exception rather than the rule IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly looking forward to how the middle-8 competition plays out. There looks to be some exciting match-ups and I would love Leigh or Bradford to squeeze through this time. But you can't get away from the fact that while the middle-8 are fighting it out - the big boys are laughing all the way to the top (and the bank).

Spot on with everything you say here. The problem is the big clubs were being held back but not anymore. Which IMO this should be the case ok theirs an argument you won't get a competitive league etc but the same as happened in the championship and probably will continue to do so for as long as this system is in place and both leagues will just build a bigger and bigger gap between the top 4/5 clubs and the rest. But hey apparently it's entertaining lol.Im also expecting the middle 8s to get repetitive and boring with the same teams year in year out playing each other in the middle 8s but we have to give it a go I guess and see what does come of this weird system.

To me, if you are having this system it cannot all be sorted by mid-to-late September. There are literally no players around for any of those 4 clubs to strengthen. Richie Mylers, Zeb Taias, Frank Pritchards, Chris Sandows are all long gone - the top 6-8 clubs have pretty much filled their roster for 2016 before the middle 8s have got underway. Good NRL players won't hang around to see if Wakefield can get whooped by Leigh in the 4/5 match.

This provides fantastic entertainment for viewers but the top 4/5 SL giants are laughing in the long run.

They are laughing anyway........they've been on top for years........The richest teams are the best........that's modern sport........the key is to keep it more interesting for everyone else which this new format does IMO

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

I didn't ask YOU for the solution ( not that you gave one ) , I asked you where do you split the sport ?

Some sheeite on here, there has always been two comps and now the passengers at the bottom have their necks on the line

Leigh have played 3 SL clubs and bulls fev and fax didn't roll over also- a great mid 8 in prospect and the SL play offs will consist of the 4 best teams

I didn't ask YOU for the solution ( not that you gave one ) , I asked you where do you split the sport ?

Okay, thanks for that. Well "ME" I would reduced the number of clubs involved in this end of season excitement. When it all comes down it we are talking about whether Leigh, Wakefield, Bulls or Salford will survive/ascend. Whether it is one-up, one-down or top 2 from each in a play-off - you can't slice a third of each competition apart each year and expect it to keep in touch with the top clubs.

If you are going to have the middle 8s and want to keep it competitive then you have to bin the marquee player (unless it is universal), perhaps introduce a draft system and even the distribution of money. That is never going to happen though. The top 4/5 have pretty much got what they want here.

who would be the 5th super league giant asi presume the top for to be leed. wigan.st Helens and warrington

This could well be determined over the next 2-3 years but I would say Hull and Catalans are probably the best prospects over time.

those top clubs are there because they work for it not just on the field but off it . can I suggest the other clubs get there off field operations in order so they can produce the revenue needed

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

This could well be determined over the next 2-3 years but I would say Hull and Catalans are probably the best prospects over time.

not Huddersfield giants then

Some sheeite on here, there has always been two comps and now the passengers at the bottom have their necks on the line

Leigh have played 3 SL clubs and bulls fev and fax didn't roll over also- a great mid 8 in prospect and the SL play offs will consist of the 4 best teams

This is not in dispute and I actually agree that Leigh deserve their place in SL. I mentioned that on top on the 3x8s we have also given the top 8 SL clubs a bye in the Challenge Cup, World Club Series and a marquee ruling only they can utilise.  

Yeah, but, hasn't this year generally been seen as the closest super league season ever?

Also, it could be argued that the split keeps the lower teams playing deeper into the season (rather than missing the top 8 and being eliminated) and playing in more interesting/meaningful fixtures each year - this is good for crowds, TV interest, sponsors. So the new structure supports the smaller SL clubs too...as well as the hopefuls outside of SL...but no, you're right, it's all a conspiracy to give the top 4 an advantage...

with the way the bottom 3 of the super league have fallen away I think its the ideal time to have the split before it starts to get embarrassing seeing the gulf in the league widen any further this season

Controversial probably, but here's how I see it.

Big Clubs*

Wigan

Leeds

Saints

Hull

Bradford

Rich Clubs

Warrington

Salford

Clubs too small to break big (unless they become rich)

Cas

Fax

Hull KR

Leigh

Widnes

Huddersfield

Unknown

London

Catalan

As someone said, it's also quite right to say that clubs should get out and create their own revenues and build, but not every club is sat in a c1m population metropolis.

*What determines 'big'?

• Trophies
  • Fanbase
  • Ground capacity
  • History
  • Brand recognition

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

with the way the bottom 3 of the super league have fallen away I think its the ideal time to have the split before it starts to get embarrassing seeing the gulf in the league widen any further this season

The original plan was to split after 12 rounds and then play the middle and top 8s home and away. This was thrown out as clubs wanted 30 League fixtures and not 26.

Not only that the RFL are encouraging these clubs to run super academies that may swallow up the academies of the 9-12.

Not only that the RFL are happy to allow the top clubs to set up reserve teams as well that will enable them to have stronger player development and rosters.

Ever since it was announced that the new system would have eight top clubs with extra fixtures against each other I've taken the view this is what the new structure is all about and not increased crowds and opportunity throughout all the leagues.

The top eight are just about confirmed and it struck me that there is one club from Hull in it, One from "Cheshire" one from the "Pennine" area one from "Calder" and it smacks of shades of Lindsay wanting a small number of clubs sat in their own geographical area swallowing all the resources.

Financially 14 clubs that arose from expansion, became untenable, and there were warnings 12 was too many and the collapses of Wakey, London and Bradford, would seem to support this as do the serious doubts about having two clubs in Hull surfacing in the form of the academy merger.

But it's not just that it's taken a long time for the penny to drop that this looks like a contraction of the sport to the top to eight clubs, it's that we still don't seem to grasp that not being in the eight means there are clubs who will suffer and deteriorate from that and it's NOT just a matter of making sure Leigh don't beat you. 

For top Eight read the new Superleague, for middle eight read the new Championship.

Archived