Wakefield to share with Dewsbury?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fight to the death continues, Wakefield could be the first victim.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

When I saw the ground this season on tv the open end behind the sticks does not look up to standard to me. There's a metal fence what seems no more than 3 feet from the dead ball line

Awful option for Wakefield, they have given up.

Bye.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I think this is all a negotiating tactic from Wakefield to get better terms from the owners of Belle Vue. It would seem crazy for them to leave the town when there is still a stadium there but if the owners are being nobs, they may have no choice. 

Surely the stadium owners would rather have Wakefield there paying a lower rent than no income at all?

I think this is all a negotiating tactic from Wakefield to get better terms from the owners of Belle Vue.

Think you're absolutely right. Danger is that the BoI simply sell up to a property developer. Getting a lot easier to get permission to slap a load of houses on a brownfield site whatever covenants are in place and in spite of what the local council thinks.

Would it not have been more prudent for Wakefield to own the ground then they are not paying a landlord and would be in control of their own destiny in that they could either upgrade or even sell the land and put the money towards an alternative stadium.

Instead you get this game between the ground owners and Wakefield. 

Good option as it's just about in Wakefield and nearer than Belle Vue is for most Wakey fans. Still wouldn't be surprised if we stay at Belle Vue

It's not in Wakefield although it is on the border

Would it not have been more prudent for Wakefield to own the ground then they are not paying a landlord and would be in control of their own destiny in that they could either upgrade or even sell the land and put the money towards an alternative stadium.

Instead you get this game between the ground owners and Wakefield.

They did own it but after many deals etc they didn't hence why they are in this mess

I think this is all a negotiating tactic from Wakefield to get better terms from the owners of Belle Vue. It would seem crazy for them to leave the town when there is still a stadium there but if the owners are being nobs, they may have no choice. Surely the stadium owners would rather have Wakefield there paying a lower rent than no income at all?

We shall see, the game may be brinkmanship........But.......

Think you're absolutely right. Danger is that the BoI simply sell up to a property developer. Getting a lot easier to get permission to slap a load of houses on a brownfield site whatever covenants are in place and in spite of what the local council thinks.

The BOI may win the gamesmanship race.

On the subject of covenants when Bramley moved next door from behind the Barley Mow to the adjoining McLaren Fields they had a big big covenant on that open space that it could not be used for development.

In the end Bramley moved to Headingley RUFC and they built houses on it. Councils are currently giving planning permission to developers to build homes where years ago they made refusals, I've got that near me and i went to the hearing and they broke their necks to approve the housing.

I've been to Belle Vue many times and it is in amongst housing. The BOI would probably love to get rid of this "guarantee" they inherited for hard cash.

Even if not would someone who wants to develop a big soccer club there want to buy it? Less of a risk but Emley FC had ambitions and since the demise of Wakefield RUFC Wakefield FC have I think filled the void.

(Corrections welcome)

I remember Hunslet shifting to Batley, and that is NOT a long way and we had big crowd falls despite not being a bad side. It isn't that far from Saints to Widnes but the move there when Saints were building their new stadium still lost fans by the thousands.

In an atmoshpere of demise Wakefield have seen 7,000 crowds halve, a move to Dewsbury with NO future on the horizon could send that figure down further what price 2,500 crowds in Dewsbury??

Then what would the position be? The evil Wakey council would not have killed the club, and they feel no shame anyway, so they won't have any pressure to do anything. Carter won't/can't put anything in.

lower gates would mean a scratch SL side....

......and if at any time in this stand off or no way back if Belle vue becomes houses the club drop to the Championship then half that "crowd" again.

1996 Wakefield.v.Whitehaven at Belle Vue attendance 1,300

Switch now over to Glasshoughton and the 10,000 capacity Castleford stadium. If Wakefield RL fans of the future have to pick a club to take interest in will they go to Dewsbury or Castleford?

This is all very fascinating and interesting but of course not very pleasant indeed.

Looking at google maps Dewsbury's stadium is only about 5 miles away from Wakey's, so short term it looks like a good option, despite the capacity. But long term Wakey are in trouble if they cant work something out with BOI or the local council.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Looking at google maps Dewsbury's stadium is only about 5 miles away from Wakey's, so short term it looks like a good option,

Mike

It's about 7 miles from Hunslet to Batley and 8 from St.Helens to Widnes.

Moving out of town diminishes crowds badly, it may not be a distance thing it may be more subtle than that.

At least the moves by Hunslet and Saints eventually facilitated modern stadiums for the clubs, that the fans understood, this move is entirely different.

(If they go) Wakefield are leaving town because they are skint and there is no plan to come back. 

If the message is we are leaving as we are skint and we have no plans to come back it's entirely different.

Wakefield supporters can certainly forget about things like covenants on the ground, particularly in the current political climate. Here in Oswestry a developer applied for planning permission for a housing development right up against our massive Iron Age hill fort, a site of national and European importance. In spite of total opposition here (including an 8000 name petition) the county council has given approval, Although there's talk of appealing at national level, I don't see that getting anywhere with this government. The BoI shouldn't have ant problems in developing the Belle Vue site, so the club needs to be careful about playing 'who'll blink first'.

Or let's just stick to the topic and not have another thread drift on the same subject.

It's clear you don't understand the topic, and I don't want an argument with you.

It's not about getting rid of licensing nor is it about the new structure.

Padge has written some excellent stuff down the years when you have been on here to read it and pass your views on it.

He's merely refering to that.

Anyway there you go, I hope your business is doing well BTW. 

Wakefield supporters can certainly forget about things like covenants on the ground, particularly in the current political climate. Here in Oswestry a developer applied for planning permission for a housing development right up against our massive Iron Age hill fort, a site of national and European importance. In spite of total opposition here (including an 8000 name petition) the county council has given approval, Although there's talk of appealing at national level, I don't see that getting anywhere with this government. The BoI shouldn't have ant problems in developing the Belle Vue site, so the club needs to be careful about playing 'who'll blink first'.

Appealing these things is the natural progression for those who have been roundly defeated, it ensures you don't have to admit the defeat and it also means you don't have to disband the nice little social club you have created so I know what you mean.

Exactly what people are up to is never what it exactly says on the tin. Carter is in the business of doing his best to give Wakefield every chance of stopping the slide and should he start to get the blame for that which he surely will - just like Broncos demise is all down to David Hughes lack of business acumen - then his departure may be imminent and he's warned of that.

If the club's is just posturing for a reduction in rent fine, if it won't happen then the policy may be more one of cutting a cost so there is that bit more to spend on players.

Low crowds will be the result but hey, they have low crowds in Sheffield, Halifax and Leigh and they can all keep their heads above water and compete for SL thanks to prize money............ 

It's clear you don't understand the topic, and I don't want an argument with you.

I'm pretty sure I understand the topic... "Wakefield to share with Dewsbury?"

It's not about getting rid of licensing nor is it about the new structure.

Padge wrote: "The fight to the death continues, Wakefield could be the first victim."

Victims of what? Not really to do with the ground share is it?

Padge has written some excellent stuff down the years when you have been on here to read it and pass your views on it.

He's merely refering to that.

Padge had written some great stuff over the years. Ever since this new system came in and licensing went out, he's written some shocking stuff on the topic also (the spreadsheet topic being an embarrassing example of how he would rather be derogatory against the system and lose a fan than simply explain it and gain interest).

This is another example of him attempting a pot shot by linking Wakey's demise to "the fight". It isn't necessary, or even appropriate.

Anyway there you go, I hope your business is doing well BTW.

If you're talking about the garage, it's not my business, it's the family business. I'm a teacher. But it's going well, thank you for asking.
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived