69% increase in TV viewers for St Helens v Leeds Challenge Cup semi final.

The BBC have stated 1.3 million people watched the St Helens v Leeds Rugby League semi final cup match on Friday night. An increase of 69% on 2014.

This won't go unnoticed by the powers that be at Aunty Beeb.

So two Northern clubs playing Rugby League can still attract substantial viewing figures...... "Whowd a thowt it"

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Good figures. You'd imagine with that kind of number it would be quite high up on the BBC2 Top 10 for that week.. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Good figures. You'd imagine with that kind of number it would be quite high up on the BBC2 Top 10 for that week.. 

Confirmed in one of the RL weeklies from the Beeb that it was the second highest viewing figure on BBC 2 that day.  It's hard to compare viewing figures on the Beeb since they show a range of programmes.  For instance, rugby league is never going to compete with their soaps, which I think were showing on BBC1 around the same time as the CC semi and there isn't much in the way of other sport viewing to compare us to.  What I think is the key stat is the 69% rise in audience from last season.  That will persuade the Beeb that the venture is worthwhile.

We had 1.4 million watching on the Saturday.

I am just so chuffed that all those viewers (including many who may have stumbled across RL  for the first time) witnessed such a great game and a great Friday night atmosphere

And the Saturday game was a cracker as well.

I hope Sky Sports watched the two games and saw what viewing figures can be produced,when you employ professional,intelligent,literate individuals,rather than the lazy,shoddy,amateur garbage they have been offering for the past five years.It says something for your production,when you have to employ a former referee,because your commentator and 'analyst' don't know the rules of the modern game.Maybe they also noticed the benefit of separating the presenter from the commentator?Not one 'contraversal' moment,because the commentator and expert concentrated on what was actually happening,rather than what two OAP thought they may have seen for 100m away,largely because they can't think of anything intelligent,relevant or incisive to say.

For the sake of rugby league,go and go now before you do further damage to our game.

I hope Sky Sports watched the two games and sore what viewing figures can be produced,when you employ professional,intelligent,literate individuals,rather than the lazy,shoddy,amateur garbage they have been offering for the past five years.It says something for your production,when you have to employ a former referee,because your commentator and 'analyst' don't know the rules of the modern game.Maybe they also noticed the benefit of separating the presenter from the commentator?Not one 'contraversal' moment,because the commentator and expert concentrated on what was actually happening,rather than what two OAP thought they may have seen for 100m away,largely because they can't think of anything intelligent,relevant or incisive to say.

For the same of rugby league,go and go now before you do further damage to our game.

I think it's mostly because it's free.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I think it's mostly because it's free.

And also RL is still one of the most watched sports on Sky pretty much so I doubt they'll change anything.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I hope Sky Sports watched the two games and saw what viewing figures can be produced,when you employ professional,intelligent,literate individuals,rather than the lazy,shoddy,amateur garbage they have been offering for the past five years.It says something for your production,when you have to employ a former referee,because your commentator and 'analyst' don't know the rules of the modern game.Maybe they also noticed the benefit of separating the presenter from the commentator?Not one 'contraversal' moment,because the commentator and expert concentrated on what was actually happening,rather than what two OAP thought they may have seen for 100m away,largely because they can't think of anything intelligent,relevant or incisive to say.

For the sake of rugby league,go and go now before you do further damage to our game.

It is interesting in contrast that according to Martyn Sadler in League Express this week TV audiences for Rugby League on Sky Sports have dipped this year, on average by about 15 per cent.

RL pundits.  I read it in one of the RL weeklies.  I can't remember which one as I've read bits of both!

Have I misread it or are you saying that Wire v Hull KR got 1.4m versus the 1.3m for Leeds and Saints?

It is interesting in contrast that according to Martyn Sadler in League Express this week TV audiences for Rugby League on Sky Sports have dipped this year, on average by about 15 per cent.

Would be interesting to see how other Sky Sports figures have held up year on year, difficult to judge without this context.

Have I misread it or are you saying that Wire v Hull KR got 1.4m versus the 1.3m for Leeds and Saints?

I'm saying that in total the two semi finals attracted 2.7m viewers (although there were two figures given for the Saturday: 1.3m and 1.4m but what's 0.4m between friends!).

I'm saying that in total the two semi finals attracted 2.7m viewers (although there were two figures given for the Saturday: 1.3m and 1.4m but what's 0.4m between friends!).

So something is interesting, if the Semi last year attracted around 750k, I wonder why both of them attracted huge uplifts...

Compared with the week before it would certainly make the top 30 for BBC2.

For comparison, the athletics which was shown at 8pm the previous Friday on BBC2 pulled in 2.6m

So something is interesting, if the Semi last year attracted around 750k, I wonder why both of them attracted huge uplifts...

Well originally the 69% increase was given on Saturday in response to Friday's figure when compared to last season's Saturday semi final but subsequently the percentage increase has been applied to both days combined so I'm not sure how reliable the 69% is overall.  The predominant interest was in the Friday night figures given the change in day and that was a massive jump.

Both games at the weekend absolutely fantastic. Viewers are back to Wendy-ball next weekend - overpaid prima-donnas writhing around at the slightest touch. Must admit I doubted the sense of playing a semi on a Friday night, but it worked brilliantly - made the game feel massive I thought.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Must admit I doubted the sense of playing a semi on a Friday night, but it worked brilliantly - made the game feel massive I thought.

Quite right. It was a move which said "this event is worth altering our prime time TV schedule for".

If only we could get the BBC to pick up the World Club Challenge matches, too. Bet the figures would top 2 million easily on three consecutive nights.

Such a shame both the challenge cup and England internationals will be all on sky come 2018 apart from the final which has to be shown on FTA TV.

I know sky pay the bills but RU get to showcase their flagship show six nations on FTA so we should too...

Solly was just asked about this on Twitter in the 'Ask Solly' hour that is going on at present.  He didn't say either would be shown all on Sky.  I would hope the RFL wouldn't be so stupid as to throw all our eggs in one basket.  I think there will be an uproar if that is the case.

Wouldn't it be great if the BBC actually advertised it was on too?

I saw several trailers/adverts for it on the beeb during the week leading up to the games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived