middle 8

Bradford Leigh and Halifax snotted this weekend, cant see any serious challenge coming from any of these clubs in the middle 8 this season, funding needs to be looked at sharpish, its a great concept but only if there is a genuine chance of promotion.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was only 10 points between Fax and HKR until the last 5 minutes. Hardly snotted. I do agree though that no Championship side realistically stands a chance as the gap in Salary cap is too big. I also dont agree with clubs being allowed to bring in so many players just before the Qualifiers. Much prefer to see you run with the squad that got you there in the first place. Good concept but think some changes need to be made so that Championship clubs have a better chance to compete against SL clubs

Bradford Leigh and Halifax snotted this weekend, cant see any serious challenge coming from any of these clubs in the middle 8 this season, funding needs to be looked at sharpish, its a great concept but only if there is a genuine chance of promotion.

You can't look at funding as it would have to be filtered down through the leagues. You can't have say Leigh winning the league getting say 1 million funding and a team like batley getting 150k. The gap is big enough in the champ and will get bigger without giving the top teams an extra push. Salary caps need to be similar and that's it. But then you will have clubs spending money they haven't got which I think this will start to happen anyway sooner rather than later. Then we will have clubs going bust etc. Leigh won't get a better team than they have this season I doubt unless the cap gets upped. But if it does the scenario above will come to pass very quickly IMO.

The biggest problem is strength in depth and no amount of money will rectify this. We struggled for nearly 6 years to manage 14 competitive sides and I'm not sure whether we managed it properly in a single year.

The biggest issue was always going to be the middle 8s and it's proving to be. If Leigh aren't competitive then I can't imagine a side ever being.

Save the money til eights then spend spend spend. Just like Wakefield did. Bought way out of relegation. Good one lets all try it

Steve, Paul Rowley and Beaumont had the opportunity to do likewise, but the statement was "we are good enough, we will run with what we've got" a statement that may come back to haunt them.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Easy fix for this is to put a rule in that a player must of played a certain amount of games in the regular rounds to play in the qualifiers.

Make exceptions for injured players and players under 23 and each club can apply for an emergency signing in special cases.

Who saw it coming, as a Leigh fan I thought we would do better, but the reality of the fact is the gulf between SL and Championship is vast even more so when you consider these teams the Championship clubs are playing are the 4 worst teams in SL.

Bradford and Leigh are in total limbo, far to good for the Championship, not good enough for SL, there has to be some rethink on the funding and SC, the new format will simply not work as it is.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Spend spend spend ? I thought we saved saved saved and got rid of the players not willing to put a shift in.

You played within the rules WCL nothing wrong with that, what is wrong is the imbalance in the funding where by clubs playing in the same competition have differing rules to abide by.

You played within the rules WCL nothing wrong with that, what is wrong is the imbalance in the funding where by clubs playing in the same competition have differing rules to abide by.

It all got voted in, this season we started off well then major injury list and players who weren't up for the fight and coach not up to the job. We changed the coach and got rid of players not up for the fight, any fan would expect that from their club. It would have been easier for the clubs around us if we had not changed anything.

Still early days yet , just what do/did people expect ?

I agree, The aim surely will be to close the gap next year and then again the year after, ideally by raising the championship standards rather than lowering those of superleague

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

So how about equal funding in the Championship?

Leigh fans whinge about the SL clubs getting £1.8 million each whilst they have to compete with them on only £0.5 million funding.   The very same Leigh fans then make derogatory remarks about the Championship not being good enough for them to get conditioned playing against opposition who only receive £150k.    There's a certain irony in there somewhere!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Who saw it coming, as a Leigh fan I thought we would do better, but the reality of the fact is the gulf between SL and Championship is vast even more so when you consider these teams the Championship clubs are playing are the 4 worst teams in SL.

Bradford and Leigh are in total limbo, far to good for the Championship, not good enough for SL, there has to be some rethink on the funding and SC, the new format will simply not work as it is.

Leigh have been good this season but Bradford not as much

How much is this due to the massive inbalance in funding between Championship clubs? The lower teams have to be part time and get a significant smaller amount of central funding. Is that fair?

It all got voted in, this season we started off well then major injury list and players wyho weren't up for the fight and coach not up to the job. We changed the coach and got rid of players not up for the fight, any fan would expect that from their club. It would have been easier for the clubs around us if we had not changed anything.

Agree with all of the above, but the simple fact is being given cover £1 million pounds more to spend than the Championship clubs does somewhat make the transition to speculate more accommodating, had Leigh had the same opportunity they may have had more impact on this competition.

Archived