Announcement on new Cas ground.

Gates1

6pm tonight with Steve Gill advising Cas fans to get a 'celebratary' drink at the ready.

Hopefully it's not going to be smoke and mirrors type announcement (Dickie Wright made enough of these for a lifetime!).

Confirmation of funding in place and a start date for building works would do nicely...

Am I the only one left who hopes that the new Cas ground does not get the go-ahead ?

The Jungle is the most atmospheric and genuine ground in the country, and it is always the away fixture I look out for most at the start of a new Season. Fans can mingle and exchange banter, and this is something that gets lost with the new stadia - with perhaps the exception of Warrington's ground - although even this separates the fans !

You and I will miss it when it's gone and replaced by a sanitised subutteo stadium !

Am I the only one left who hopes that the new Cas ground does not get the go-ahead ?

The Jungle is the most atmospheric and genuine ground in the country, and it is always the away fixture I look out for most at the start of a new Season. Fans can mingle and exchange banter, and this is something that gets lost with the new stadia - with perhaps the exception of Warrington's ground - although even this separates the fans !

You and I will miss it when it's gone and replaced by a sanitised subutteo stadium !

All very nice sentiment, but are all the other clubs prepared to dip into their pockets to provide funds for the upkeep of Wheldon Road and recompense Cas for loss of corporate opportunities?

Thought not - new ground it is then. ;)

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

i agree u lose the atmosphere with the new grounds but id say thats usually down to most been all seated, as far as im aware castlefords new ground will be like for like to the jungle 1 main stand with seats n the other 3 standing so im sure you'll stil be able to mingle with oppositions fans and have the usual banter.

COME ON THE CORN

CLASSY CAS 4EVA

Go Go Go York City Knights!

6pm tonight with Steve Gill advising Cas fans to get a 'celebratary' drink at the ready.

Hopefully it's not going to be smoke and mirrors type announcement (Dickie Wright made enough of these for a lifetime!).

Confirmation of funding in place and a start date for building works would do nicely...

The drink had better be port. Fresh bottle will be nicely matured when they finally move in.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

The drink had better be port. Fresh bottle will be nicely matured when they finally move in.

you offer absolutely nothing to this forum - if your gags were funny it would be OK but honestly they're not.

When you get a second read through your posts and see what value you actually add to any debate

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Not sure why everyone's getting excited as it's only confirmation that the OUTLINE plan has been granted final approval after the period for objections to the planning application has passed. Cas have been further down the line than this before, although old Tricky would have revelled in the hype surrounding this announcement.

Agree with the sentiment. No where better to watch a game of rugby on a summers Sunday afternoon than Wheldon Road IMO, however:

Upkeep costs are high

Limited corporate facilities =lost income

Sunny Sunday afternoon games are few and far between, most of our games now appear to be played on Thursday nights with occasional Friday I suspect their is a decent corporate market for these games which we need to cash in on to make up for the reduced attendances of these games.

Sadley, I think we do need to move on and hope this goes through. If it does it would be nice to see some of the character of Wheldon Road transfered to the new stadium (maybe the toilets, losing to the Rhinos is slightly brighter having watchedup a few of there fans try to negotiate the toilets in flip flops

couldn't cas just "upgrade" wheldon road rather than move to a new site? maybe install upto date terracing and a new main stand?

not sure if that would be financially viable or not, but it would be a sad day for RL to lose wheldon road.

if thats not possible i hope they would try and build something almost like a replica rather than another HJ/LSV type template

Whoosh...

incorrect

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

couldn't cas just "upgrade" wheldon road rather than move to a new site? maybe install upto date terracing and a new main stand?

not sure if that would be financially viable or not, but it would be a sad day for RL to lose wheldon road.

if thats not possible i hope they would try and build something almost like a replica rather than another HJ/LSV type template

Not feasable Im afraid. The cost of upgrade would run into several million, probably not that much less than a new 'modular' development.  Additionally Cas would have to pay for the whole developement themselves (as opposed to it been largly funded by a developer as per the proposed new staduim) and simply dont have funds.

As this development proposal stands the developer will largly pay for the staduim (Cas may be required to contribute, I would guess, we will have to fund kitting it out the developer will just provide a basic shell of a staduim).  Cas will also retain ownership of Wheldon Road which potentially has a value of several million and can be sold off to pay debts (to Jack Fulton) and I guess contribute towards fitting out the new staduim.

Agree about a replication of Wheldon Road though I would love to see some of its character retained.

why would they when someone has offered to build them a new stadium for absolutely nothing.

The builders have said they are building a like for like stadium.

COME ON THE CORN

CLASSY CAS 4EVA

Go Go Go York City Knights!

Not sure why everyone's getting excited as it's only confirmation that the OUTLINE plan has been granted final approval after the period for objections to the planning application has passed. Cas have been further down the line than this before, although old Tricky would have revelled in the hype surrounding this announcement.

End of the season, the need to boost season ticket sales for next season could have something to do with this announcement

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived