NRL GF outrates AFL GF

B rad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And even some AFL fans on social media have said the NRL GF was a better spectacle. It takes some doing for that lot to give even an inch on the subject.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I was last in Brisbane, one of the locals was saying how Queensland was the fastest growing state in Oz. That being so, it bodes very well for TGG to move ahead of AFL on a regular basis. Of course, the World Cup will be so massive that we won't be able to see the AFL for dust once they see Alex Walmsley at first hand.

NRL being the more popular TV sport has never been the issue... NRL's a game more suited to T.V, NRL rates better in Melbourne than ALF does in Sydney, there are more people in the rugby states & territories of N.S.W, QLD, A.C.T & Northern Territory than there are in Victoria, S.A, W.A & Tasmania.

Trouble is NRL had News Limited on both sides of the table negotiating T.V rights, also News Ltd has used that position to sell scandals and fake scandals it beats up to sell papers & get ratings from both people who like league & those who dont, until digital free to air T.V era came in 4 years ago even though NRL rates higher in Melbourne than ALF in sydney, games including origin & tests werent shown live until recently in melbourne & ALF states. While ALF's been shown live free to air nationwide for 2 decades. Also Aussie has a strong inward focus jingoistic vibe and ALF plays into that claiming to be an aussie code... albeit one so remarkably similar to Gaelic Football they can play each other!. Also Rugby League being a TV sport means more people watch it on TV so crowds at ALF are bigger as its not such a good TV experience, then theres Melbourne itself ALF owns the place & people massively brainwashed in sporting sense in the most bizarre way ive ever witnessed  

Averages are pretty close, mind.

And the AFL final was a one-sided blowout with an obvious winner a long way from the end.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Contributing factors of viewership.

Start times, AFL for now refuse to change from the 2.30 Saturday arvo start. That means a pre-midday start for fans of the WC Eagles who were at home. The NRL is on at prime time Sunday evening slot.

The AFL was a compete blowout and the game had little left for storytelling after the first quarter.

Why does AFL get more from broadcasters?

Longer pre-match TV interest (matched on GF day by the NRL but not during the season).

Longer game, the close number of average viewers simply means that there were more eyeballs for advertisers over the duration of the game. Remember start to finish is usually over 2.5 hours for AFL.

Advertising opportunities. AFL has an advert after each goal and a set of adverts at each quarter.

To further comment on other posts:

Not that there are many there but I would definitely dispute NT as a rugby state. It definitely is not.

QLD fastest growing state... Well that may bode well for TGG, it may more likely bode well for the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns considering where that population growth is mainly migrating from. I think NSW is the fastest growing state however. QLD has been left behind for the last few years.

SP

Contributing factors of viewership.

Start times, AFL for now refuse to change from the 2.30 Saturday arvo start. That means a pre-midday start for fans of the WC Eagles who were at home. The NRL is on at prime time Sunday evening slot.

The AFL was a compete blowout and the game had little left for storytelling after the first quarter.

Why does AFL get more from broadcasters?

Longer pre-match TV interest (matched on GF day by the NRL but not during the season).

Longer game, the close number of average viewers simply means that there were more eyeballs for advertisers over the duration of the game. Remember start to finish is usually over 2.5 hours for AFL.

Advertising opportunities. AFL has an advert after each goal and a set of adverts at each quarter.

To further comment on other posts:

Not that there are many there but I would definitely dispute NT as a rugby state. It definitely is not.

QLD fastest growing state... Well that may bode well for TGG, it may more likely bode well for the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns considering where that population growth is mainly migrating from. I think NSW is the fastest growing state however. QLD has been left behind for the last few years.

SP

Yeah right.

Taking those points in order.

More people watch t g g because the game is better.

No idea who those teams you are bigging up are. From the weeks I have spent in Brisbane and Queensland there's only one game loved up there.

Anyone moving to Qland and being exposed to t g g will be converted as it is a much better game.

Yeah right.

Taking those points in order.

More people watch t g g because the game is better.

No idea who those teams you are bigging up are. From the weeks I have spent in Brisbane and Queensland there's only one game loved up there.

Anyone moving to Qland and being exposed to t g g will be converted as it is a much better game.

Actually,more people watch AFL. The NRL Grand Final is one of the few games where RL out rates AFL. Throughout the season AFL gets more viewers.....and attendance wise, the NRL is down 5% across the board to 2004 levels whilst AFL still gets double the average attendance?

I would rather boil my nuts in battery acid than watch AFL, but they get more viewers and more attendees over the season, that's why they get more money....but hats off to the NRL for achieving their figures whilst confined to the east coast as opposed to nationally!

Queensland is most assuredly a Rugby state, with the Broncs and Reds regularly filling sun corp......but the point about victardians moving north is a valid one.....they are attracted by the climate and the cheaper housing on offer....and they like all sports, but they love their hybrid Gaelic Football best!

Lastly. You're not a child so don't act like one. The concept of "if only they'd watch one game they's be hooked" is the reason that RL struggles by comparison with other sports for the attention of the public....sticking posts in the ground, offering 2-4-1 tickets and announcing a KO time isn't marketing.....

NRL being the more popular TV sport has never been the issue... NRL's a game more suited to T.V, NRL rates better in Melbourne than ALF does in Sydney, there are more people in the rugby states & territories of N.S.W, QLD, A.C.T & Northern Territory than there are in Victoria, S.A, W.A & Tasmania.

Trouble is NRL had News Limited on both sides of the table negotiating T.V rights, also News Ltd has used that position to sell scandals and fake scandals it beats up to sell papers & get ratings from both people who like league & those who dont, until digital free to air T.V era came in 4 years ago even though NRL rates higher in Melbourne than ALF in sydney, games including origin & tests werent shown live until recently in melbourne & ALF states. While ALF's been shown live free to air nationwide for 2 decades. Also Aussie has a strong inward focus jingoistic vibe and ALF plays into that claiming to be an aussie code... albeit one so remarkably similar to Gaelic Football they can play each other!. Also Rugby League being a TV sport means more people watch it on TV so crowds at ALF are bigger as its not such a good TV experience, then theres Melbourne itself ALF owns the place & people massively brainwashed in sporting sense in the most bizarre way ive ever witnessed  

I like that this guy has such an influence in Melbourne

alf-header.jpg

regarding N.T its a small territory 250,000 ive never been myself but met people from there who follow NRL and others who didnt... several current players come from there, they have NRL games up there in recent years & N.T is the state/territory with highest participation rate playing the sport per head of population, I remember living in melbourne in 2005 the only way you could get live origin or tests on TV was watching Imparja TV the Northern territory channel at bars that could pick it up. I realise AFL is very popular there as well but believe on the whole its almost even split.

Anyway im from NZ theres people here who never heard of AFL most people couldnt name a player or what teams are called and arnt interested 

Also Aussie has a strong inward focus jingoistic vibe and ALF plays into that claiming to be an aussie code... albeit one so remarkably similar to Gaelic Football they can play each other!.

Aussie Rules is very Australian. It's the first sport the average joe thinks about in terms of Australia. In terms of Aussie rules similarities with Gaelic...the two rugby codes have far more in common.

Gaelic round ball, Aussie rules oval ball

Gaelic allows contact in the challenge where you can retain the ball, Aussie rules you have to release it

Gaelic plays in rectangular field, Aussie rules in an oval

Gaelic has one goal, Aussie rules three goals

Gaelic doesn't have any mark and play is continuous, Aussie rules play stops after every catch

Gaelic is two 35 minute halfs, Aussie rules is four 20 minute periods

The hybrid game is is a mish mash of two different sports. Aussies struggle with the round ball and lack basic skills, Irish struggle in being rushed with the tackle area in being forced to give up possession. It's largely a mess.

Actually,more people watch AFL. The NRL Grand Final is one of the few games where RL out rates AFL. Throughout the season AFL gets more viewers.....and attendance wise, the NRL is down 5% across the board to 2004 levels whilst AFL still gets double the average attendance?

I would rather boil my nuts in battery acid than watch AFL, but they get more viewers and more attendees over the season, that's why they get more money....but hats off to the NRL for achieving their figures whilst confined to the east coast as opposed to nationally!

Queensland is most assuredly a Rugby state, with the Broncs and Reds regularly filling sun corp......but the point about victardians moving north is a valid one.....they are attracted by the climate and the cheaper housing on offer....and they like all sports, but they love their hybrid Gaelic Football best!

Lastly. You're not a child so don't act like one. The concept of "if only they'd watch one game they's be hooked" is the reason that RL struggles by comparison with other sports for the attention of the public....sticking posts in the ground, offering 2-4-1 tickets and announcing a KO time isn't marketing.....

Stop it.

More people watch Rugby League in Australia than AFL period. And that's with less live games each week and less games shown each week. Oh and the afl being shown on two channels at once.

The reason this gf was so close is simple, there was no NSW team and the ratings reflect this, the state was way down on average. This plus the Cowboys are a regional team while the two afl teams were city based sides. 

I have something else to say about the ratings.

The afl gf is on during the day yes, yet it goes up against old black n white Elvis movies or repeats of some old sitcom or some info commercial show that been on repeat for 20 years.

The NRL gf goes head to head with all the prime time news channels and some of the weeks highest rating shows across the board on a Sunday night, it actually has competition for eyeballs where as the afl doesn't.

If you are a footy fan of any code and it's gf day or night, you are going to watch regardless, if you are not, well you watch something else and Sunday night always has a strong lineup across each channel yet Saturday afternoon as I said does not.

It was a fantastic result for the NRL seeing as they only had one state represented in the gf and still rated its backside off.

Have worked in the NT a few times this year. definately get the fell its a League more than AFL state. kids seem to be 50/50 though which is probably thanks to the seasons running at opposite times of the year.

Channel 9 put the footy show in the correct order , NRL then AFL. wish that happend in Perth.

the point about competition for eye balls is also valid. in WA the Channel 7 news outrated the GF by about 11k. 

I love gutter boy's attempt to shoe horn a union side into a conversation about major codes in Oz. Once a troll always a troll...

League is doing fine and dandy in Oz just now - as ever its pure brilliance compensates for any administrative shortcomings...

The afl gf is on during the day yes, yet it goes up against old black n white Elvis movies or repeats of some old sitcom or some info commercial show that been on repeat for 20 years.

The NRL gf goes head to head with all the prime time news channels and some of the weeks highest rating shows across the board on a Sunday night, it actually has competition for eyeballs where as the afl doesn't.

If you are a footy fan of any code and it's gf day or night, you are going to watch regardless, if you are not, well you watch something else and Sunday night always has a strong lineup across each channel yet Saturday afternoon as I said does not.

It was a fantastic result for the NRL seeing as they only had one state represented in the gf and still rated its backside off.

I find that a little bit contradicting. You said the ratings were down in NSW because there were no NSW teams, yet you mention if you are a fan, then you watch the game no matter what. Additionally, being two interstate sides, that could be argued as more hometown fans at home watching not travelling.

There is also a reason why old black and white Elvis clips are on at 2.30 Saturday rather than 6.30 Sunday and that is because more people are watching TV in the evening. That is why two or three shows on Sunday evening are regularly the weeks highest rated, because more people are at home watching.

Now don't take this the wrong way, NRL regularly outrates AFL, but I simply noted a few facts as to why AFL gets the cash it does. I am very pleased with how RL is progressing in Aus and hope that while in previous years the focus has been about increased viewers, that the focus now turns to live ones, rather than televised versions.

As for Exiled Wiganer, you will have to come up with a far better argument than your few weeks in Brisbane if you have no idea who the Lions and Suns are. Very childish comments

Sports Prophet, you are Mr Chuckles. I genuinely have no idea who these teams are. Soz. In my times in Queensland there has never been any question as to which tops are worn and which game is loved. It's not an argument, it's an observation. And light heartedly made on a league forum on a good news league thread.

We had one of the best ever games in the greatest game watched by the biggest audience. What's not to like?

The tide is turning in Melbourne. Melbourne sold out their semi against the Cowboys. The SoO was again a massive crowd puller. TStorm and Rugby League have been steadily building year by year and the Storm now average bigger crowds than a number of Sydney clubs. The Storm are now recognized in Melbourne and have a great Schools programme under way. AFL will always be king, but the interest in Rugby League now compared to say 10 or 15 years ago in Melbourne is a massive difference. But its still very much impossible to watch a Live game of Rugby League on TV in Melbourne (and Perth, Adelaide, Hobart). While its alot easier to watch an AFL game in any part of Australia and that maybe is why AFL gets bigger TV crowds. 

Queensland is pure Rugby League from my experiences there from Cairns down through Central Queensland to Brisbane. Gold Coast was really the only place where League didnt feel that strong. You go to Townsville for a Cowboys game and fans will have no problems about driving 5 or 6 hours to watch a game and then drive back again. You see League everywhere. AFL has tried its Ozkick in Schools but it has not really made that much differenc in Queensland. Especially when its state of Origin time many shops are decked out in Maroon. The Sports news is very much League based. What AFL is to Melbourne is Rugby League to Queensland. 

Two things have hit Queensland hard and maybe has damaged its pull. First was the cyclones that have and still do cause much hardship for the Sugar Cane and Banana industries and the soil is still very much contamintated and many farm workers have moved elsewhere. The other thing is the closure of some of the mines in the Country areas of Queensland. A number of towns have simply "died" as with the mines shutting there is nothing. Both these events damaged Rugby League as well. A number of teams like around the Tully/Bowen area for example just folded as the workers left for where the work was. 

Why the heck are there AFL trolls on totalrl? That fool that said AFL rates more than NRL during the regular season must be reading the figures he made up in his mind. And why are people saying AFL has a bigger tv deal, the NRL hasn't even half finished theirs yet. Add pay tv, international right, digital rights and whatever else, the NRL will get around 2.2 Billion per season for theirs but over a 5 year period, the AFL's is over a 6 year period. And the Red's don't fill suncorp, they average 10,000 less than the Broncos do with half the games. That's hilariously bad. 

Why the heck are there AFL trolls on totalrl? That fool that said AFL rates more than NRL during the regular season must be reading the figures he made up in his mind. And why are people saying AFL has a bigger tv deal, the NRL hasn't even half finished theirs yet. Add pay tv, international right, digital rights and whatever else, the NRL will get around 2.2 Billion per season for theirs but over a 5 year period, the AFL's is over a 6 year period. And the Red's don't fill suncorp, they average 10,000 less than the Broncos do with half the games. That's hilariously bad. 

We have been infested with them for a while.

We had one the other week arguing that the kick for touch posho game was bigger in Oz than TGG...

I find that a little bit contradicting. You said the ratings were down in NSW because there were no NSW teams, yet you mention if you are a fan, then you watch the game no matter what. Additionally, being two interstate sides, that could be argued as more hometown fans at home watching not travelling.

There is also a reason why old black and white Elvis clips are on at 2.30 Saturday rather than 6.30 Sunday and that is because more people are watching TV in the evening. That is why two or three shows on Sunday evening are regularly the weeks highest rated, because more people are at home watching.

Now don't take this the wrong way, NRL regularly outrates AFL, but I simply noted a few facts as to why AFL gets the cash it does. I am very pleased with how RL is progressing in Aus and hope that while in previous years the focus has been about increased viewers, that the focus now turns to live ones, rather than televised versions.

As for Exiled Wiganer, you will have to come up with a far better argument than your few weeks in Brisbane if you have no idea who the Lions and Suns are. Very childish comments

NSW had near a million watching without a NSW team involved, they would be the rugby league fans I'm talking about. A lot of people in NSW still have a thing about qld and the sl. 

Indeed, and maybe I took you wrong Wiganer. No doubt which sport is #1 in Bris and QLD. Again, didn't think my points were disputing RL strength

Sadly, some people are incredibly touchy. Your posts were fine and pretty rational, some people cannot seem to accept reality if it means that RL isn't shown in a 100% perfect light. A post which points out that the Gold Coast Suns AFL have done a better job than Gold Coast Titans RL, which true, is not going to go down well with some.

Back to the original topic, this is of course great news no matter how you look at it. If you put that into a UK context, it would be like maybe 11m watching the Grand Final.

The comparison with AFL is difficult, both this year and in previous years because of the way that the data is compiled and because of the different lengths of the games (which is the obvious reason for the difference in money). Most historic data is based on the 5 capital cities, which the AFL won again this year by 2.637m to 2.435m a difference of nearly 200k. The reason I include this figure is because in previous years this has been much bigger. In 2004 the difference was nearly 700k and in 2005 it was 800k.

I also found an interesting article at http://www.warc.com/News/PrintNewsItem.aspx?ID=35508 which mentions that RL won the social media battle, which is perhaps more telling. The NRL vs AFL argument is often a fierce one and many people look at the crowds as absolute proof of AFL's superiority. However, I think social media is a good counter to this argument as the number of Twitter followers of the clubs is more closer than their much lauded double attendances.  The biggest AFL club has 77k followers (Collingwood) compared to 71k for the NRL (South Sydney).

Archived