Clare Balding Show BBC2

how do you think she didnt do that? I thought she was an excellent preseer for rl on the bbc, as she asked the experts loads of questions in an enthusiastic way that many newer fans may have been wondering. There was never a hint of sniping like we have seen fom other bbc presenters.

I do also like Chapman now, but tbh i would like to see mor female representation.

By and large she did, Her presentation was enjoyable and appropriate for many. Her horse racing coverage is very watchable because of her background knowledge but she isn't some sort of luminary in RL. And for me the "newer fan approach" is frustrating from the actual host, considering how long RL has been on the BBC however honestly it may be felt. 

I don't care about the female representation, the gender politics of bbc staff allocation must leave a man looking like Dorian Gray post picture reveal after one meeting. Chapman is doing pretty well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By and large she did, Her presentation was enjoyable and appropriate for many. Her horse racing coverage is very watchable because of her background knowledge but she isn't some sort of luminary in RL. And for me the "newer fan approach" is frustrating from the actual host, considering how long RL has been on the BBC however honestly it may be felt.

I don't care about the female representation, the gender politics of bbc staff allocation must leave a man looking like Dorian Grey post picture reveal after one meeting. Chapman is doing pretty well.

as a sport which claims up to 40% female representation, i think we actually do poorly as a game at putting women in high profile positions, whether that is in the media, in important positions at clubs, or anywhere else.

Despite all the family claims and female fans, our sport looks the same as all the others, and tbh a game for Northern blokes.

I find some of the posts on here astonishing.

Does anyone remember the pre-Balding era? Steve sodding Ryder and John ****ing Inverdale! Having a presenter who didn't actively and evidently despise our sport was an innovation, and her enthusiasm for it (in full recognition that it was a world removed from her own background) was the freshest of breaths of fresh air.

I'm delighted we have Chapman now because he is also a great advocate of the game and a top presenter. Balding was and has been an unwavering champion for our game - I wonder if some people wouldn't want to see Chris Irvine and Andy Wilson fronting our game with a scowl on their faces and a pint in hand. At least then they would represent the true miserable sods of RL.

Back of the net !

as a sport which claims up to 40% female representation, i think we actually do poorly as a game at putting women in high profile positions, whether that is in the media, in important positions at clubs, or anywhere else.

Despite all the family claims and female fans, our sport looks the same as all the others, and tbh a game for Northern blokes.

The bulk of the BBC's annual RL output - the Super League Show - is mostly presented by Tanya Arnold. Aside from the corporation's ludicrous marginalisation (both by time and region) of the programme, it's like having a woman anchor 'Match of the Day'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do know that the Challenge Cup is entirely contested by male teams and I think if the BBC is to have some helping influence in representing RL whatever their gender, for the good of all involving themselves prioritising a female host is well down the list. RL needs to put the right people in positions and not anything else. I also don't care about claims. If RL looks the same as all the others it is because by and large it probably is.

I do know that the Challenge Cup is entirely contested by male teams and I think if the BBC is to have some helping influence in representing RL whatever their gender, for the good of all involving themselves prioritising a female host is well down the list. RL needs to put the right people in positions and not anything else. I also don't care about claims. If RL looks the same as all the others it is because by and large it probably is.

i agree, i just find it strange that the vast majority of the best people are men.

The bulk of the BBC's annual RL output - the Super League Show - is mostly presented by Tanya Arnold. Aside from the corporation's ludicrous marginalisation (both by time and region) of the programme, it's like having a woman anchor 'Match of the Day'.

fair point.

Despite all the family claims and female fans, our sport looks the same as all the others,

The reason it looks the same is because theirs nothing unique about that claim, with the possible exception of boxing is there a sport that doesn't claim to be a family sport.

"Family sport" seems to get trotted out all the time when fans and administrators are trying to sell the sport and it's an absolutely meaningless phrase.

There is a love affair from fans with Clare Balding.

Rugby League was part of her career path nothing more or less from what I can see.

She was aware of rugby league through her grandmother.  Clare Balding is distantly related to the Early of Derby through her grandmother.  That was the link she said resulted in her learning about rugby league.

how do you think she didnt do that? I thought she was an excellent preseer for rl on the bbc, as she asked the experts loads of questions in an enthusiastic way that many newer fans may have been wondering. There was never a hint of sniping like we have seen fom other bbc presenters.

I do also like Chapman now, but tbh i would like to see mor female representation.

Have a look at BBC Leeds' Tanya Arnold - a good looker with a man's voice

You never fail until you stop trying

It is the choices they have made.

and what have we done to encourage women to be more involved?

The stats are apparently 40% women in our fan demographic vs 25% in football.

I have always thought we were quite modern in our inclusivity, but i must admit i think we are going backwards and others are going forwards.

Look at Football, Rugby Union, Tennis, Netball, Athletics, UFC, Golf etc. They all have a rowing womens game, some have women officials etc. What are we doing on this front? On the England RL site, the womens team seems to have been removed just like the Knights.

I have always thought we were quite modern in our inclusivity, but i must admit i think we are going backwards and others are going forwards.

Look at Football, Rugby Union, Tennis, Netball, Athletics, UFC, Golf etc. They all have a rowing womens game, some have women officials etc. What are we doing on this front? On the England RL site, the womens team seems to have been removed just like the Knights.

TBF though DT, rowing is quite an elitist sport :tongue:

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

Well perhaps sometimes people need reminding about the "stereotypes" as you call them, about how they worked in a harsh environment and yet played in an equally tough sport, and yet had no airs or graces, I'm sure you'll find some of the best players of all time came from a mining environment. As far as I'm concerned those players should be revered and remembered, if that is not to your liking Zorquif never mind each to their own.

I'm in no way knocking those guys. But I still think that if inverdale and co said that then there'd be some paddies thrown on here.

Those sports and others have stolen a real march on us.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm in no way knocking those guys. But I still think that if inverdale and co said that then there'd be some paddies thrown on here.

I think that ignores the context in which a remark would be made. In Balding's case, she was trying - perhaps clumsily - to illustrate the honesty of the game rather than denigrate it. That would not be the case with Inverdale, who'd have a filthy smirk right across his face as he said it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'm not bothered about women being involved. 

If 40% are already fans ( and I wonder how those stats are collated) I doubt they are bothered about the gender of those involved.

"inclusivity".... its another Dorian Gray moment. Where is the exclusivity in RL. If we had the cash of other sports I dare say we could keep up with trends. Haven't we already had a WRLWC and a Wheelchair RLWC. I don't think we are behind just not cash rich and I'll bet you will find in some publications more column inches to Womens RU than the Super League. 

Best people for the job is the only way for RL to go not some gender studies pc idea of job allocation where the most important thing is appeasing some dated feminist narrative. 

It's always remarkable to see someone so hyper aware of one form of bias or prejudice (vs RL) and so dismissive of another (vs Women).

Rubbish! 

Do you think any business owner nowadays is going to look at a woman figure out she is not only going to save the company money but make the company money and only ask only 15% for her trouble. And then turn her down because she is female. With shareholders and their own income to preserve. It isn't 1966 anymore. 

Rubbish! 

Do you think any business owner nowadays is going to look at a woman figure out she is not only going to save the company money but make the company money and only ask only 15% for her trouble. And then turn her down because she is female. With shareholders and their own income to preserve. It isn't 1966 anymore. 

I have no idea what that actually means.

But we are falling massively behind here and it will affect us compared to other sports.  Sport England funding is on adult participation - not just blokes.  Advertisers want to reach women because, in general, they're the ones who make the spending decisions and, horror horror, are now outearning men anyway.  And TV companies wanting sport to show are liking showing women's sport.

Like so much else, rugby league needs to be organised and proactive in this area and I'm just not seeing that.  Maybe we are better than it comes across - it wouldn't be the first time RL was invisible despite doing something - but it does feel that we need to step up here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

But we are falling massively behind here and it will affect us compared to other sports.  Sport England funding is on adult participation - not just blokes.  Advertisers want to reach women because, in general, they're the ones who make the spending decisions and, horror horror, are now outearning men anyway.  And TV companies wanting sport to show are liking showing women's sport.

Like so much else, rugby league needs to be organised and proactive in this area and I'm just not seeing that.  Maybe we are better than it comes across - it wouldn't be the first time RL was invisible despite doing something - but it does feel that we need to step up here.

I have been banging on about getting the women's game profiled for years. The fact the England women's team didn't even play this year was a disgrace. They should have been the curtain raisers to all three tests. Who knows they may have even been on the red button :/ But that requires thinking ahead.

It was a general comment on the idea of prejudice against women in the work place as retort to a comment made by damp squib who opinion i felt to be harking back to 1966 where a woman could stand beside a man doing the same job for 70% of his cash and irrelevant nowadays because as you point out women can easily earn more than men. 

So you think it is necessary for RL to heavily promote womens RL in order to gain free funds from sport England, ok. 

It was a general comment on the idea of prejudice against women in the work place as retort to a comment made by damp squib who opinion i felt to be harking back to 1966 where a woman could stand beside a man doing the same job for 70% of his cash and irrelevant nowadays because as you point out women can easily earn more than men.

So you think it is necessary for RL to heavily promote womens RL in order to gain free funds from sport England, ok.

I think sports that invest in women's participation will have a more successful future than those that don't.

Archived