Sam Tomkins guest of honour at Cap Cha

IM2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan and Skolars have done very well with this event.

I'll go one year perhaps, though just looking at the early morning train fare from Lime St it's over £100 one way and £40 plus return.

You know its played on a field surrounded by buildings don't you? No stands etc etc

You know its played on a field surrounded by buildings don't you? No stands etc etc

Relevance is?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It's a long way to travel from Liverpool to London for a knock about reserve game

There is nothing scenic about the HAC cricket field unless you like looking at high rise office complexes. Of course there is the novelty of it being played in the middle of London

It's a long way to travel from Liverpool to London for a knock about reserve game

There is nothing scenic about the HAC cricket field unless you like looking at high rise office complexes. Of course there is the novelty of it being played in the middle of London

Might not be scenic - although there is a lot of intersting architecture nearby, not least the Barbican - but you got to love the idea of rugby league being played in the heart of the global finance system!

Tickets safely bought. 10 minutes walk from the office... There will be some great talent on show for Wigan. Personally I love the venue - precisely because it is the only time you get to watch the boys right from the side of the pitch. Anyone that is considering going should definitely come along.

Why would I go to a rugby match to view the surrounding architecture, I tend to look at the pitch and and more importantly what is happening on it.

I have watched many great rugby games in "fields", I do it regularly. Its not the surroundings its the game.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

its a superb day for RL

- top class sponsors

- just under 1000 people there in the heart of the worlds financial centre

- approx 10 years of history

- 6 school curtain raiser plus kids go to the bank of england museum before

- approx 300 hospitality guests

- probably more profile round this game than any other game in london bar CC & 4 nations this year. even then it could be argued

as to the venue. for me its superb, the bar areas is stacked full of history. England's oldest army regiment. artillery at the end of the pitch. also yes its a pitch and no stand but the grass is almost like a carpet.

i for one love it and given its growth and success so do many others. its unique in the game

its a superb day for RL

- top class sponsors

- approx 10 years of history

- 6 school curtain raiser plus kids go to the bank of england museum before

- approx 300 hospitality guests

- probably more profile round this game than any other game in london bar CC & 4 nations this year. even then it could be argued

as to the venue. for me its superb, the bar areas is stacked full of history. England's oldest army regiment. artillery at the end of the pitch. also yes its a pitch and no stand but the grass is almost like a carpet.

i for one love it and given its growth and success so do many others. its unique in the game

Absolutely.

The way that Skolars tap in to the heart of London has to be admired immensely, they are one of only a hand full of clubs in the whole of Rugby League who actually get it. They know what they need and they are going for it.

Meanwhile in Yorkshire its lets see if the local Ferret Society would like to sponsor us.

Tickets safely bought. 10 minutes walk from the office... There will be some great talent on show for Wigan. Personally I love the venue - precisely because it is the only time you get to watch the boys right from the side of the pitch. Anyone that is considering going should definitely come along.

Hope you are taking a few with you. Better still Rugger Bug****!

Suggest anyone planning on going get there early!.. Or you won't be watching much when it's four deep on the touch line.

The attendances get bigger each year!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The match has become the traditional pipe opener to the season down south.

As for the attendance, if Skolars get 1,000 then good on them but all it tends to prove is that there are probably more Wiganers living in the South East than there are Skolars and Broncos fans combined.

One note iof caution is that because Skolars mnatches are in a corner of the HAC ground one narow side is for Players and Coaching staff and the other tends to be equally empty behind the sticks at the south end. Northerners try imagining Wilderspool with one of the end terraces closed so it could be cramped..You equally do not kick for touch lest breaking an office window so its an agreed 10 yards for a penalty.

Definately there and fingers crossed the weather remains dry. I trust match programmes will be more easily available than has been the case in the past and not being purchased from shivering schoolgirls like last year...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Wigan and Skolars have done very well with this event.

I'll go one year perhaps, though just looking at the early morning train fare from Lime St it's over £100 one way and £40 plus return.

I've just looked and I could do the trip for £82 return.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Why?

Yes, you're watching a game of RL in a field. But there is something that feels quite exciting about it and as Red Rooster says, it's the de facto curtain raiser for RL down here now.

I haven't been for a couple of years and am really looking forward to it. Apart from the freezing my boots off bit - to be expected in mid-January of course, but it always seems to be on a particularly freezing cold day.

Only in RL could you get a 'fan' logging in to try to persuade others not to bother going to a game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

revenues for this event should go through 6 figures for the first time

Tickets are £15 a pop, so there's £15,000......I'd be amazed if there was £85,000 in sponsorship and Corporate Hospo (which is lunch) and as for the 10 years of History, Wigan are making their 3rd appearance......not their fault that Hughes butchered this fixture for the Broncos as well as the club in general.

I always enjoyed this day out as it marks the "start of the season", but it's not much more than a chance to catch up with other fans after the winter and a 2nd string Wigan outfit taking on a 3rd tier side. Enjoy if you're going!

Tickets are £15 a pop, so there's £15,000......I'd be amazed if there was £85,000 in sponsorship and Corporate Hospo (which is lunch) and as for the 10 years of History, Wigan are making their 3rd appearance......not their fault that Hughes butchered this fixture for the Broncos as well as the club in general.

I always enjoyed this day out as it marks the "start of the season", but it's not much more than a chance to catch up with other fans after the winter and a 2nd string Wigan outfit taking on a 3rd tier side. Enjoy if you're going!

300 X £110 for the sit down. £33,000. £48,000 and countin.

It's a far better day than you give it credit for.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

300 X £110 for the sit down. £33,000. £48,000 and countin.

It's a far better day than you give it credit for.

good maths. amazing how people can't enjoy a good news story

sponsors - top one £20k bottom £5k including Nasdaq, BNP Paribas, WisdomTree, Cantor, Pcubed, Irish Stock Exchange and Capita. Not bad

Archived