Haven versus Town

Keith T

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/town/draw-keeps-workington-town-on-track-for-new-season-1.1233020

The last three paragraphs should put at rest the simple minds of a few Haven fans who think that Mark Fryer and Phil Veivers want next weeks game postponed so that Haven go in to their season without a pre-season game.     They forget that last season we actually introduced some of the amateur players in to the game in our squad.     Whatever happened to the Haven v Thunder pre-season game last season?       Don't worry genuine Haven fans we will send a team through to play you irrespective of what some of your own "fans" are making up.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/town/draw-keeps-workington-town-on-track-for-new-season-1.1233020

The last three paragraphs should put at rest the simple minds of a few Haven fans who think that Mark Fryer and Phil Veivers want next weeks game postponed so that Haven go in to their season without a pre-season game.     They forget that last season we actually introduced some of the amateur players in to the game in our squad.     Whatever happened to the Haven v Thunder pre-season game last season?       Don't worry genuine Haven fans we will send a team through to play you irrespective of what some of your own "fans" are making up.

We just come to expect the usual rubbish they spout. do they not realise we get falf the gate money ? I'm sure Mark and Phil would  pull on the jersey themselves rather than call it off. Mind you, I wouldn't mind the game being off with all the players we have unavailable, a blizzard on Saturday morning would be nice, but I remember a few seasons ago we played them with half a team and battered them, It was the year we beat them 5 times (first time that is ;) ).

Crack from the deluded darkside is that havens loony Knicker sniffing general reckons we only ever take enough fans to the wreck to fill a couple of taxies !

From what I remember of our last visit, a rather high proportion of the crowd were still there at the final whistle applauding Town from the field on all sides of the ground, I mistakenly took it they were all Town fans but it turns out they were just very sporting jambos.........who would have thought it eh ;)   

As I see it this is a reasonably under strength town side. Whitehaven won't have a better chance of beating us. If they can't I think it's time for them to panic!

be a hard game on sat whichever team town put out towns strong point is team ethic and everyone mixing in seems to be the same whichever 17 they use 

£16 for the game at the weekend!? Bit steep that for ehat is essentially a pre-season friendly is it not?

£16 is a bit steep i,ve had a season ticket last few years didn,t know it was that much

be a hard game on sat whichever team town put out towns strong point is team ethic and everyone mixing in seems to be the same whichever 17 they use 

agree , even though the man himself will not be featuring on saturday and a couple of others who are first selection the thing about this town squad is they are a tight unit now and the strength in depth is better than it has been for a few seasons , very little between any of the players .

Well I know it looks like we have an under strength team for Saturday, and as always the Haven fans are way over confident as they now have a team of merecenary superstars. But we have quietly gone about our business in pre season and although we are huge underdogs I still predict a 14 - 18 win for Town.

Havens home shirt may still play a huge factor in putting the opposition off as it is absolutely awful to see close up, and weirdly it is as long as a short dress on the lads at work who have one!

By the way I think there is a bucket collection at the match as poor little Elliott Miller has spent all of his signing on fee. Just £3 a week can help this poor lad buy back all the toys he threw out of his pram when nasty Phil put him on the wing. Please give generously.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Well I know it looks like we have an under strength team for Saturday, and as always the Haven fans are way over confident as they now have a team of merecenary superstars. But we have quietly gone about our business in pre season and although we are huge underdogs I still predict a 14 - 18 win for Town.

Havens home shirt may still play a huge factor in putting the opposition off as it is absolutely awful to see close up, and weirdly it is as long as a short dress on the lads at work who have one!

By the way I think there is a bucket collection at the match as poor little Elliott Miller has spent all of his signing on fee. Just £3 a week can help this poor lad buy back all the toys he threw out of his pram when nasty Phil put him on the wing. Please give generously.

If nasty James keeps putting him on the wing he might end up at Barrow with nice guy Paul.

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

Just downloaded the RLW season preview issue , and oh dear , yet another opinion which has them relegated ! We are down as ninth , which tells you how much the league has moved on again . We were 8th and have a better all round squad now with room for further improvement .

sammut is a big plus and hulme should be a decent signing but better all round will be known later on as the other two new signings need to be tried and tested , forrester in the paper today expressing he wants the first place wing spot and rightly so since miller has gone and ritson will be adequate backup for FB and wing although another addition at outside backs would be useful in a long season and injury spells . so 8th or 9th can be expected although i think a minimum of 6th or 7th  is very achievable .

Miller is really the only frontline loss , although I really think Akehurst could have forced his way into the starting side alongside Dec . That was disappointing . If we can add to our strike power then we are definitely stronger in every department

Poor day today weather wise and rain forcast tommorow then heavy rain and wind tommorow night. I am told there's already sitting water on the miners welfare footy pitch next to the rec. a mud bath beckons.

I wouldn't be unhappy if it was called off but will be going through to give my support if it's on. With the injury situation I would be seriously thinking about calling the Newcastle game off as well. It will be the first time in a while that I will be going to the wreck not confident of winning, but I'm confident that whoever does play will give their all, haven fans would go into meltdown if they lost this one.

I wouldn't be unhappy if it was called off but will be going through to give my support if it's on. With the injury situation I would be seriously thinking about calling the Newcastle game off as well. It will be the first time in a while that I will be going to the wreck not confident of winning, but I'm confident that whoever does play will give their all, haven fans would go into meltdown if they lost this one.

yes it would have been good to see two full sides on a nice crisp winter night but it's not looking like that with tommorow nights forcast and missing players.

Poor day today weather wise and rain forcast tommorow then heavy rain and wind tommorow night. I am told there's already sitting water on the miners welfare footy pitch next to the rec. a mud bath beckons.

The weather is all down to Phil and mark fryer doing rain dances and only agreed with this date because the long term forecast said it was going to pish down...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Archived