The Photography Thread

I think the top one is the best; has a certain "other world" feel about it with the jetty seeming to disappear and be supported by nothingness.

Each to their own. Nothing wrong with that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think the top one is the best; has a certain "other world" feel about it with the jetty seeming to disappear and be supported by nothingness.

I agree. Clearly ginge doesn't know what he's talking about :P.

Some cracking snaps there Padge.

Fides invicta triumphat

I have travelled fairly extensively throughout this wonderful country of ours, and I always find time to look at war memorials just to see if there is anybody with my surname on there. It's rare that i discover my Surname as it's relatively rare outside of South Lancs (although when I lived in Uxbridge there was a Doctor with the same name & initials as me). When I went on www.cwgc.org I found Men with the same name as me, quite chilling really.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I like that Carl, detail in the shadows, no burning in the highlights on the castle and a creative star burst just in the right place.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Thanks Padge and L'Ang

I was driving home from a quiz night last night and decided to have a go at photographing the castle as it was quite a clear evening. I was';t sure about the light at the top of the tower on the right as I though it may ruin the look of the picture but think it actually adds to it!

If I could be overcritical I think I may have gone a bit heavy on the ISO as would like the sky to look a little crisper but overall very happy with it!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Whilst waiting for the greasy spoon to provide you with your morning bacon and egg roll why not use the phone in your camera to capture the excitement of the busy street outside?

8148215723_106a04977e_c.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thanks Padge and L'Ang

I was driving home from a quiz night last night and decided to have a go at photographing the castle as it was quite a clear evening. I was';t sure about the light at the top of the tower on the right as I though it may ruin the look of the picture but think it actually adds to it!

If I could be overcritical I think I may have gone a bit heavy on the ISO as would like the sky to look a little crisper but overall very happy with it!

When you say crisper sky, do you mean more cloud detail or just less noise,

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

When you say crisper sky, do you mean more cloud detail or just less noise,

Sorry - less noise.

Edited by Kenilworth Tiger

Sorry - less noise.

That should be easily dealt with in processing (depending on the software you have) by selecting the area and finding your noise reduction menu, I also find a bit of surface blur can help in these situations.

Noise can be a problem on long exposure, high ISO shots especially in areas with little detail.

Pretty impressive stuff there Carl, I'd be tempted to crop out a large chunk of the empty space on the left.

Thanks Padge (and thanks for the tips above too) Interesting you say that actually because that's exactly what I did and showed 5 people which one they prefer, the cropped or the one above - they all said the one i posted above and tend to agree with them.

Absolutely valid point though

Space in a photograph tends to only be pleasing to people when something is travelling towards the space, or someone or something is looking into it (not a hard and fast rule, none are).

Interesting that your poll went for the space, I find the second one a bit 'middley' with the space being a bit of a distraction, but that's what its all about. Different people, different, taste, different view. Its a good job or else all photographs would be very much the same.

I think what makes the two firework photos stand out is the slight detail in the sky.

Edited by Padge

OK so I'm getting a bit carried away - would like to know peoples thoughts on this one

8163603733_a04861b948_z.jpg

Abbey Fields Kenilworth by CarlMitchell, on Flickr

OK so I'm getting a bit carried away - would like to know peoples thoughts on this one

8163603733_a04861b948_z.jpg

Abbey Fields Kenilworth by CarlMitchell, on Flickr

I would, here we go again, do a different crop to make it less middley.

I love the fact that you have got some detail in the shadows of people in the foreground.

Have you shot this in RAW, if you have you could perhaps keep the foreground detail and rescue the colour of the fireworks, that would give you a real gem.

asda.jpg

THAT IS GOOD, REAL GOOD.

Shouting because it needs to be shouted.

That's rather excellent. Moreover, I reckon Asda might cough up some cash for it.

I can't be seduced by the corporate dollar

but thanks for the feedback padge and weary

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

First time in quite a few days I have been able to log in to TRL for some reason, so just wanted to say that there are some belting photos appearing on this topic - thoroughly enjoy looking at them.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Space in a photograph tends to only be pleasing to people when something is travelling towards the space, or someone or something is looking into it (not a hard and fast rule, none are).

Interesting that your poll went for the space, I find the second one a bit 'middley' with the space being a bit of a distraction, but that's what its all about. Different people, different, taste, different view. Its a good job or else all photographs would be very much the same.

I think what makes the two firework photos stand out is the slight detail in the sky.

I like the reflection in the water too. Cracking shot

STUPID CUP WINNER 2006, WCC CUP WINNER 2007, SQL league winner 2008

SQL Stupid Cup and League Double Winner 2009