Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red Willow

The Photography Thread

3,004 posts in this topic

wtf am I doing wrong

Go back up to KTs post on what to do... it's spot on. ;)

Considering this for the March comp. Taken at Kynance cove, wish the weather had been better.

A few tweaks could make a big difference to that shot. Up the red and yellow saturation and an increase in contrast by adjusting the middle levels.

Considering this for the March comp. Taken at Kynance cove, wish the weather had been better.IMG_0489_zps57f86f4a.jpg

I Like this.

Weather has to be dealt with, not the other way round, it shouldn't be manipulated.

Edited by Bleep1673

I Like this.

Weather has to be dealt with, not the other way round, it shouldn't be manipulated.

I agree the pic looks good

Manipulating it would look contrived

Couldn't do what Padge suggests as It would break rules of the comp and I don't think my software could do it anyway Cheers for the advice though Padge. I've bee flicking through my shots from yesterday and think this might be a better option.IMG_0572_zpsfea1f14a.jpg

Couldn't do what Padge suggests as It would break rules of the comp and I don't think my software could do it anyway Cheers for the advice though Padge. I've bee flicking through my shots from yesterday and think this might be a better option.

The tweaks I suggested are within the rules, levels, saturation, sharpening adjustments and cropping are all allowed.

If you shoot in raw and convert to JPEG you have little option. JPEG has settings for enhanced in camera processing. RAW is far more unforgiving it is as it says on the tin, the raw picture. At minimum if you shoot in Raw and convert to Jpeg you have to sharpen your shot as the conversion process softens the image even more which means you can end up with what appears to be an out of focus image.

Changes to any or all of the above do not make the picture look false but help to overcome the limits of the dynamic range of photographic sensors as opposed to the human eye.

All these 'tweaks' are similar to what chemical processors did and even carry the name of the old processes quite often, as in unsharp mask, saturate, de saturate and dodge and burn.

Manipulating it would look contrived

It wouldn't

It wouldn't

i meant to the extent of having purple sky like you see in the camera mags

i meant to the extent of having purple sky like you see in the camera mags

That can be achieved without any post processing manipulation and was as easy to do in film days as it is now. Graduated colour filters, offset colour balance (digital only) same could be done with using the 'wrong' film type deliberately, a toffee wrapper can all be used to manipulate colour.

Also, sometimes the Sky is purple.

Edited by Padge

Just ordered myself a 2nd hand copy of a Photoshop CS2 guide I was recommended for a whole 1p (+ £2.80 P&p). Time to teach myself some computer skills to go with learning the camera ones. :)

That can be achieved without any post processing manipulation and was as easy to do in film days as it is now. Graduated colour filters, offset colour balance (digital only) same could be done with using the 'wrong' film type deliberately, a toffee wrapper can all be used to manipulate colour.

shut it you

I'll have what you're having.

Considering this for the March comp. Taken at Kynance cove, wish the weather had been better.IMG_0489_zps57f86f4a.jpg

What is the March comp?

What is the March comp?

"The great outdoors"

Colour shot of the same landmark I've posted in the March comp thread. Shows how bleak it can be up on the moors in winter.

8552822266_e97e0c0297_c.jpg

Churn Milk Joan by 77gazza, on Flickr

Colour shot of the same landmark I've posted in the March comp thread. Shows how bleak it can be up on the moors in winter.

8552822266_e97e0c0297_c.jpg

Churn Milk Joan by 77gazza, on Flickr

nicely composed gaz

I think black and white emphasises the bleakness of the scene IMHO

I went back to try some more light trail shots this evening, to catch the sunset rather than the moon. I managed to get the shots I wanted, but I can't decide if they look best with a traditional horizontal horizon or with a more jaunty angle. Thoughts anyone?

8554764943_35d3e10508_c.jpg

CSC_3524 by 77gazza, on Flickr

8555870548_a1eac44256_c.jpg

CSC_3525 by 77gazza, on Flickr

The other two were ones that I took on the way back home, as I stopped by Blackstone Edge resevoir. Again, I can't decide which of the two shots I prefer.

8554768323_04bc9a7df3_c.jpg

CSC_3522 by 77gazza, on Flickr

8555875898_696bb8862b_c.jpg

CSC_3523 by 77gazza, on Flickr

file://localhost/Users/swestwood/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Previews/2013/01/04/20130104-183143/yk6Ob1krRG+tHlr49gtkjQ/P1040346.jpg