Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Vukmirovic

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

7,377 posts in this topic

I worked at one company many years ago that gave us corporate AMEX cards for all of our travel expenses, including international business class flights.  We then had to reclaim expenses via the normal scheme, they'd pay us the money and we then had to pay AMEX.  All fine and dandy until they instituted a 3 week minimum processing time and changed the payment date until after the typical AMEX payment date, this often meant that we were paid our expenses after they became due for payment to AMEX resulting in unpaid bill fees and interest.  The company then made it clear that late payment was our problem, not theirs.  It was interesting watching them backtrack on that when we all refused to fly abroad after the processing date each month

My employer is looking at bringing in a corporate AMEX card, but I'm really not interested, I get 1.25% cashback on my personal credit card so prefer to use that. 

We are supposed to use the corporate Amex card, many don't but I do just so that it separates my company spending from my personal. We have a deal with them were we get 60 days to settle rather than the usual 30 if you pay by DD. Our expenses processing isn't too bad, usually clearing into your account in less than 10 days. We've finally got round to going paperless and is much quicker, my last claim being in my account in 5 days.

My employer is looking at bringing in a corporate AMEX card, but I'm really not interested, I get 1.25% cashback on my personal credit card so prefer to use that. 

They're very useful for last-minute high-value purchases.  I saw one example of that with AMEX paying for a £100,000 server because the company's finance system broke and it needed to be bought that day.  Quite scary if that expense claim didn't clear on time!

They're very useful for last-minute high-value purchases.  I saw one example of that with AMEX paying for a £100,000 server because the company's finance system broke and it needed to be bought that day.  Quite scary if that expense claim didn't clear on time!

Pretty sure they aren't going to give all 5000+ employees an AMEX with a credit limit in excess of £100k ....which to be honest I am not too upset about as that's not an expense claim I would want to be waiting on.

Pretty sure they aren't going to give all 5000+ employees an AMEX with a credit limit in excess of £100k ....which to be honest I am not too upset about as that's not an expense claim I would want to be waiting on.

AMEX are issued with variable credit limits based on a strange risk factor calculation.  If your AMEX is guaranteed by a top-end blue-chip company then you'd be surprised how unlimited their credit really is, that said, if you work for a start-up with no history then you might get enough credit to buy a month's train tickets before you start hitting their flags.

AMEX are issued with variable credit limits based on a strange risk factor calculation.  If your AMEX is guaranteed by a top-end blue-chip company then you'd be surprised how unlimited their credit really is, that said, if you work for a start-up with no history then you might get enough credit to buy a month's train tickets before you start hitting their flags.

With our wonderfully restrictive travel policy a £500 limit should cover us for most eventualities.....the IT folk can buy their own expensive toys and stick it on a card.

With our wonderfully restrictive travel policy a £500 limit should cover us for most eventualities.....the IT folk can buy their own expensive toys and stick it on a card.

That won't get you very far; I can clock up almost double that on a week's trip to London.

That won't get you very far; I can clock up almost double that on a week's trip to London.

My last client was in Los Angeles which resulted in some pretty hefty travel bills, but my current client is about 60 miles away from where I live so a pleasant drive across country. I am probably going to be working on this project for the next couple of years so other than the occasional trip to HQ in North Carolina I am not going to be doing too much international travel (apart from trips to Hungary and Turkey end of this year but they are one-offs).

Flights, trains, hire cars, etc are booked and paid for by our travel agency so they never go on my card that's just for other travel costs.

This evening I spent strapped to a spinal board after a crash on the bike. End result is s broken collarbone, few fractured ribs, epic road rash to elbow, hip and shoulder, bust eyebrow and a concussion.

This evening I spent strapped to a spinal board after a crash on the bike. End result is s broken collarbone, few fractured ribs, epic road rash to elbow, hip and shoulder, bust eyebrow and a concussion.

Not sure that's uninteresting!

Get well soon!

Ouch. Get well soon.

Sorry to hear that.

Get well soon

Sounds nasty. Get well soon.

Thanks for the good wishes guys. Spent most of today at fracture clinic being inspected. Now booked in for corrective surgery on Friday to fit a metal plate as collarbone is in about 3 pieces

My ideal curry platter as ordered from my local curry house!

Vegetable Pathia main dish, Saag Aloo and Channa Bhaji as side dishes,

Chapati and Onion Bahji with a Sheek Kebab as additionals.

No rice or chips they take up vital belly space as do dominant meat dishes.

My ideal curry platter as ordered from my local curry house!

Vegetable Pathia main dish, Saag Aloo and Channa Bhaji as side dishes,

Chapati and Onion Bahji with a Sheek Kebab as additionals.

No rice or chips they take up vital belly space as do dominant meat dishes.

and to drink?

and to drink?

I don't so I usually choose a cooling pint of Fentimans curiosity cola. 

Well that Amazon Prime super-dooper sale thing is a bit ######. It's the usual obsolete tech, chavtastic aftershave and random bits of tat that they normally try and flog off cheap anyway.

I will admit I did buy a cheap secondhand book.

The USA beat France 82-0 at football...

... American football.

There's apparently a World Championship going on right now.  USA vs Japan in the final tomorrow.

Said American Football competition.

Some stats from America's tournament:

• Team USA outscored its opponents 214-36, with an average scoreline of 50-9.
  • Team USA outgained its opponents 1855 to 672, over 1,000 yards in just four games.
  • Team USA's opponents ran for -11 yards during the tournament. Team USA ran for 869.
  • Team USA scored 29 touchdowns, including five defensive touchdowns. They allowed four touchdowns against them in total.
  • Team USA punted seven times in four games.

not uninteresting or trivial to me, but probably to you

We get married on Friday :) :) :) 

Congratulations.

Great news! Very happy for you! :) 

I filled up the car fuel tank today.  Diesel was cheaper than petrol.

I filled up the car fuel tank today.  Diesel was cheaper than petrol.

I'm all for money saving but probably best to stick with the correct fuel for the car...  ;)