Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Vukmirovic

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

7,395 posts in this topic

Snowing.

And sticking.

:( 

London doesn't seem to do snow any more.

:( 

I have a vague memory of January 1st 1900 being, effectively, day 1 in computer based dates (possibly windows 3.1 or similar?). Perhaps the NSW Government just need a software upgrade? ;)

I remember that. I started with Windows 2.

It can't have been universally true though. I worked in Social Security Dept in 1989 and we must have had Age Pensioners over 90 then so there was some way of entering DOB pre 1900

Edited by Farmduck

I remember that. I started with Windows 2.

It can't have been universally true though. I worked in Social Security Dept in 1989 and we must have had Age Pensioners over 90 then so there was some way of entering DOB pre 1900

That was probably back in the day when software was written by people who had taken Computer Studies in school, as opposed to shiny-suited spivs who'd sell you someone else's half-checked coding and blithely assure you that nothing could possibly go wrong.

We must be living longer these days in NSW. 

Perhaps it just feels like that.  ;)

Perhaps it just feels like that.  ;)

Imagine how long it must feel in an AFL state. The poor devils...

Headline news in today's East Anglian Daily Times: "Snow in Suffolk unlikely but it'll be icy".  That's it, the headline news is that it's winter and might get a bit chilly, but not too chilly.

My wife said this morning that it was bitterly cold outside so I thought I'd do the decent thing and de-ice the bird bath.  It wasn't frozen... soft bloody southerners...

That was probably back in the day when software was written by people who had taken Computer Studies in school, as opposed to shiny-suited spivs who'd sell you someone else's half-checked coding and blithely assure you that nothing could possibly go wrong.

To be fair though, when the Pension system was designed, Age Pensioners only ever had 2 possible variations: change address or die. It also didn't have to "talk" to any other systems - there were no Income or Assets Tests so there was no link to the Tax Office. Pensioners rarely left the country back then so there was no link to Immigration.

On top of that I think they used COBOL in the 70s and 80s, which didn't change very often and had a big advantage that lots of huge US users had already found any bugs in it before the AUS Govt installed it.

To be fair though, when the Pension system was designed, Age Pensioners only ever had 2 possible variations: change address or die. It also didn't have to "talk" to any other systems - there were no Income or Assets Tests so there was no link to the Tax Office. Pensioners rarely left the country back then so there was no link to Immigration.

On top of that I think they used COBOL in the 70s and 80s, which didn't change very often and had a big advantage that lots of huge US users had already found any bugs in it before the AUS Govt installed it.

The second time in his life that my grandad went to hospital was in the Nineties. They informed him, much to his amusement, that he didn't exist. The first time he'd been to hospital was before the NHS was created, along with all their medical records.

I've been invited to attend an After Action Review about an iffy decision made around a very wide strategy piece that I refused to commit my teams to do quickly and bodge.  I've had a seriously patronising discussion with another senior manager from another business unit who couldn't comprehend that someone from outside of her department could understand basic business concepts.  She was also gushing with praise about the consultant she was bringing in to facilitate the session and how she invented the concept of AARs.  My back was up enough about this that I did mention I'd done a few AARs before, albeit many years ago and in non-business settings, I did try to keep the sarcasm from showing too much.

One of my managers said "you seem a bit chippy today".  He's worked for me for 18 months and he's just getting that I can be a bit chippy?  Has he never met a rugby league fan before?

One of my managers said "you seem a bit chippy today".  

:ph34r: ......do you have any green crayons with which to write your response?

Only one of Ethiopia's 20th-century rulers was Haile Selassie. Two were moderately Selassie and the rest weren't Selassie at all.

I've just been to Paul's boulangerie (or whatever the word is) for a sandwich.

Best bread in Singapore maybe...

I will update

I used to think I was pretty tactless but, when a US Air Force base organises something like this, I can't compete anymore.

mlkshoot-620x412.jpg

Good news.

I look so handsome in a poster for Swedish rugby league that a lady looking at it assumed it had been photo shopped.

Bad news.

I was next to her at the time.

Good news.

I look so handsome in a poster for Swedish rugby league that a lady looking at it assumed it had been photo shopped.

Bad news.

I was next to her at the time.

Swedish, poster! ........ Unavoidable cultural connotations of nudity there.

25 days now without a B&H

Other Scandinavian hi-fi manufacturers are available. :P 

The Tesco in Bexhill will now no longer open 24 hours a day.