Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Vukmirovic

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

7,551 posts in this topic

Anybody under the age of 40 will be pretty much centigrade only. Though that might change within we go back to blue passports and imperial measures,

I'm in my mid 50s and I can't remember a time that I thought in Fahrenheit. Centigrade makes much more sense: 0 for freezing, 100 for boiling of water, values that you can relate to.

Anybody under the age of 40 will be pretty much centigrade only.  Though that might change within we go back to blue passports and imperial measures,

Christ, I hope not.

They didn't even bother with Fahrenheit when we were in school.

Currently 280 outside. A bit chilly, to be honest. :tongue:

Anybody under the age of 40 will be pretty much centigrade only.  Though that might change within we go back to blue passports and imperial measures,

You wait 'til they get rid of that nasty, foreign-style decimal currency, so brutally forced upon us by evil Europhiles.

Edited by Futtocks

You wait 'til they get rid of that nasty, foreign-style decimal currency, so brutally forced upon us by evil Europhiles.

Joking aside, going from 240d in a Pound to 100 must have been a fiddle somewhere. :)

Joking aside, going from 240d in a Pound to 100 must have been a fiddle somewhere. :)

Decimalisation made a lot of sense as well. I can only presume the idea of counting in twelves was based upon the number of fingers available to the average Yorkshireman. :unsure:

Currently 280 outside. A bit chilly, to be honest. :tongue:

kelvin?

Yes, a bit cool

kelvin?

Ah can't speyk! ;) 

A new December record for Sydney last night with the minimum overnight temp of 27.1°

Out here it was about 28° at 10.30pm.

You must be mistaken.  There is global cooling.  Trump and the Daily Mail told me so....

kelvin?

Yes, a bit cool

IIRC (and without Google) is absolute zero 0 Kelvin which equates to -273 Far?

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words

TBH, that's not going to help matters is it?

I was told in a meeting earlier this morning by someone in a work meeting that she'd talked to the spirits about me and they said I was "safe and trustworthy".  Apparently she does spiritual readings and tarot cards for people at the weekend.  I did manage to reign in my natural cynicism and stop myself saying "which spirits?  I'm always partial to a good whisky"

A very bizarre meeting...

Best Facebook post I've seen this year:

Remember when we cried as kids and our parents said "I'll give you something to cry about!"?  We thought they were going to hit us, instead they voted in the Tories again, cheered the ladder being pulled up behind them and voted Brexit...

:P

Why?

Fahrenheit works perfectly well.

"if it aint broke dont fix it"

I have been in the USA and still struggle only have a patchy feel for it.

IIRC (and without Google) is absolute zero 0 Kelvin which equates to -273 Far?

No, -273 Celsius

Edited by Shadow

This is one of the most extreme potential side effects of using Fahrenheit:

This is one of the most extreme potential side effects of using Fahrenheit:

A common side effect of Britain giving up control of the colonies.

She has some very funny vids on YT. One about how the Earth is running out of gravity.

Statistically, gingers are 5 times more likely to become radical muslims than normal people. I should rephrase that since obviously, gingers can't become normal people. Gingers are 5 times more likely than normal people to become radical muslims.

My mate loves very hot curries, he's a bit of a 'hottest thing on the menu please' merchant. But he tried the chef's challenge last night in Akbars (the original Bradford one of course) and couldn't eat it. They even wrapped it up for him to take home and he accidentally 'forgot' it. Can't remember what it was but if he can't eat it, it's bloody hot.

My mate loves very hot curries, he's a bit of a 'hottest thing on the menu please' merchant. But he tried the chef's challenge last night in Akbars (the original Bradford one of course) and couldn't eat it. They even wrapped it up for him to take home and he accidentally 'forgot' it. Can't remember what it was but if he can't eat it, it's bloody hot.

A phaal?  Basically like gargling with mustard gas. And not some rare concoction they are well known.

A phaal? Basically like gargling with mustard gas. And not some rare concoction they are well known.

Yes that's the fella. I bottled out of even trying it.

Yes that's the fella. I bottled out of even trying it.

Best way. I have a mate who thinks he's 10 men when it comes to flavoursome foreign food and he never looks happy scrubbing his tongue with a keema naan to dull the pain.